New mut: short-sighted

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 05:55

New mut: short-sighted

We (Russian community) have a person who brought a concept of a new mutation. 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels of this mutation will decrease the range of your sight by 1, 2 and 3 tiles respectively while the monster's los remains the same. This means that you can see nothing in your vicinity, but a yaktaur will pelt you with bolts while staying beyond your sight.
As for me, it will be annoying and hard to code, but that guy really want to bring this to the tavern.

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:22

Re: New mut: short-sighted

I support this mut just for the pure reason that I read the entire first post in a Russian accent, and yaktaur sounds awesome with a Russian accent.
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:44

ololoev wrote:We (Russian community) have a person who brought a concept of a new mutation. 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels of this mutation will decrease the range of your sight by 1, 2 and 3 tiles respectively while the monster's los remains the same. This means that you can see nothing in your vicinity, but a yaktaur will pelt you with bolts while staying beyond your sight.
As for me, it will be annoying and hard to code, but that guy really want to bring this to the tavern.

Great idea, and much respect to you for bringing it to the English forums.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 06:47

This sounds exceptionally hard to code, especially since you need to figure out how to deal with autoexplore and you probably also have to figure out how to deal with players who have animations turned off.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
Sar, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 07:00

crate wrote:This sounds exceptionally hard to code, especially since you need to figure out how to deal with autoexplore and you probably also have to figure out how to deal with players who have animations turned off.

I was thinking it might be hard to code too, but I never thought about the autoexplore thing.

I think the best way to implement this is to simply reduce the range of spells and ranged attacks rather than reduce LoS.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 07:06

There was an old idea where identified monsters beyond your range would be shown as "a monster-shaped blur", this sounds like a good idea for that kind of mutation.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 3
Sar, TeshiAlair, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 22:12

FR: Increased LOS mutation or item.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
ydeve

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 28th May 2016, 04:39

crate wrote:This sounds exceptionally hard to code, especially since you need to figure out how to deal with autoexplore and you probably also have to figure out how to deal with players who have animations turned off.

Autoexplore ends if the player is attacked?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 28th May 2016, 04:50

Rast wrote:FR: Increased LOS mutation or item.

+0 goggles of seeing shit really well {+Scry, LOS+3, Sinv}

These goggles let you see shit really well, so well that you can evoke them to look through fucking walls and shit (gives you some contam). That sounds really op, but beware! When you gaze at the shit, the shit gazes also into you.

Edited because this idea is cooler tbh.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th May 2016, 05:51

lobf wrote:

Autoexplore ends if the player is attacked?

This doesn't solve the problem on its own though, since the player can just press o again. If you truly can't see outside of los, then you either leak information to the player about monsters, or you just let the player autoexplore to death. Neither of those is a good option. (This does come up with unseen horrors, I guess, which I would say is a problem in regular crawl also, though since it's much more rare you can possibly argue that permanently invisible monsters add enough to the game to be worth it. It's a lot harder to argue that when like 30% of the monsters in the game are problematic.)

Also if animations are on, the player can see which direction the attack came from; if they're off the player cannot. So you need to solve that also, you shouldn't punish players for turning off animations.

And these problems are assuming that you first solve the problem of crawl player los being assumed to be monster los, which is likely (I have not looked at the code) also pretty hard.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner