Distinguish <more> and <attention!>

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 01:15

Distinguish <more> and <attention!>

Right now <more> is used for two purposes:
1) when more than 4 events happen during a single turn
2) when something important happens

Due to the fact that (1) is becomes so common since mid-game, it's easy to just hold down space in every fight, to get rid of the <more> spam.
This makes it easy to miss the (2) type events. Example: viewtopic.php?p=268537#p268537. In less extreme cases, you can miss, e.g. "Okawaru grants you a gift!" while fighting through popcorn - not game-breaking, but still unpleasant.

Proposal: separate the two. Have <more> for (1) and <attention> for (2) with separate hotkeys skipping those.
Maybe, space skipping only (1) and enter skipping both. Or vice versa.

For this message the author moxian has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, WingedEspeon

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 01:18

Re: Distinguish <more> and <attention!>

It's a good point, but I'm not sure I actually want that feature because I have a feeling I'll just end up mashing both space and enter...

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 03:37

Sar wrote:It's a good point, but I'm not sure I actually want that feature because I have a feeling I'll just end up mashing both space and enter...

Why would you mash enter? It would be relatively rare, and would only appear if there's something that happened that you don't want to skip. The whole point is that there would be no reason to ever mash enter, so you'd mash space and then be properly alerted when something important happened.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 03:58

can I have this new interface and then automatically clear more messages so I don't have to mash space either?
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 05:21

WingedEspeon wrote:can I have this new interface and then automatically clear more messages so I don't have to mash space either?

show_more = false

Return to Game Design Discussion