Greaterorbrun question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 10:57

Greaterorbrun question

I fancied a challenge, so I looked up greaterorbrunners on the learndb:

learndb wrote:1.Players who have gotten 15 runes and won after picking up the orb with 3.
2.It goes without saying that you can't enter the 4+ rune branches before picking up the orb (Unless banished to abyss or v1-4).
3.To see greaterorbrun winners !nick greaterorbrun

Am I right in thinking that this means you can do v1-4 for experience, but get three other runes other than the silver one before picking up the orb?

Cheers

Zargon
<Sequell> Zargon is a greatplayer!
<Sequell> Zargon is a greaterplayer!
Online scoring

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 14:02

Re: Greaterorbrun question

By the wording of #1, you can in fact even clear out all the hell ends and v:5 and slime:6 etc. before you grab the orb. Entry 2 does seem to contradict that, but because it says "it goes without saying" I would just ignore that entry because whoever wrote it is clearly misinformed in some way.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Zargon

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 15:59

crate wrote:By the wording of #1, you can in fact even clear out all the hell ends and v:5 and slime:6 etc. before you grab the orb. Entry 2 does seem to contradict that, but because it says "it goes without saying" I would just ignore that entry because whoever wrote it is clearly misinformed in some way.

Thanks - I was looking at some of the greaterorbruns, and it looked like some of them broke stipulation no. 2, so I'm glad to know that the learndb entry is wrong.
Online scoring

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 16:32

It means that you can't enter a 4th rune branch until you have picked up the orb. Assuming you are doing the 2 lair branches, you can still do vaults for experience, but you must acquire the rune from vaults and cannot enter slime for example until the orb is picked up.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 12th May 2016, 05:15

Just want to warn you that this is actually really hard for most combos. I recommend keeping vault5 as desert, clearing vault5 while holding the orb is one of the most hard but fun and fair challenges in crawl. Hell is even less fun then usual though, expect some super bullshit deaths in there.

My personal favored style of play now is get 3 runes from lair/slime/tomb (without entering vault5, and only do elf if character needs gear/spells), get orb, get vault5 rune and missing lair/slime/tomb rune, end. My rate of success is so very low but it's all good because I'm playing the crawl parts I prefer and avoid those I like least. I wish there was a sprint that started right at the get vault5 rune while holding orb part.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 13th May 2016, 21:32

Now there's a thought: Sprint map that starts next to the orb, not next to the entrance.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 15:36

Zargon wrote:
crate wrote:By the wording of #1, you can in fact even clear out all the hell ends and v:5 and slime:6 etc. before you grab the orb. Entry 2 does seem to contradict that, but because it says "it goes without saying" I would just ignore that entry because whoever wrote it is clearly misinformed in some way.

Thanks - I was looking at some of the greaterorbruns, and it looked like some of them broke stipulation no. 2, so I'm glad to know that the learndb entry is wrong.
If you are asking about the way greaterorbrunners are taken in account, the bot only checks the #of runes you have before picking up the orb and when winning. So it lets you clear all game and pick no runes but 3...

If your question is about the spirit of the challenge... I'm not the one who invented it, but I feel like if you want some real challenge, pick 3 runes and do not enter a branch (apart from V:1-4 imo) you won't pick the rune in...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
Zargon

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2016, 16:35

mopl wrote:
If your question is about the spirit of the challenge... I'm not the one who invented it, but I feel like if you want some real challenge, pick 3 runes and do not enter a branch (apart from V:1-4 imo) you won't pick the rune in...

OK - I'll try and stick to this. By Xom it's going to be tough. But it wouldn't be a challenge if it were easy...
Online scoring

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice