YAS Blunder - Joined Ash with the sword of Jihad...

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 19:25

YAS Blunder - Joined Ash with the sword of Jihad...

So that lovely +10 sword of Jihad (weapon) {holy, *Rage rN+ EV+3 Stlth-} that I found on d:5? Not so good when you rush off to join Ash to mitigate the *Rage and only then discover you can't curse a holy weapon...

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:16

Re: YAS Blunder - Joined Ash with the sword of Jihad...

Doesn't matter. The sword is a great weapon (other than the *RAGE) and doesn't require that much skill to use effectively. Keeping your weapon uncursed is something people sometimes do with ashe anyway so that they can use rods, swap to a ranged option (Probably a blowgun, because throwing is the best ranged option anyway), ETC. This should also let you switch to a flameing long blade for hydras if you want to. It is not like ashe gives penance for not cursing everything.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:20

My first 15 rune win was with an Ash woshipper that found a sword of Jihad. I ended up cursing everything except my weapon slot. Switching weapons was just far too useful in the extended game.

All you lose out on is the skill bonus for swords but if you're already at decent skill for them you won't notice a difference.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:24

I almost never curse my weapon. I cant even think of a time that I have actually, aside from earlier version when sometimes weapon cursing was the only option to gain piety.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:37

I always try to curse my weapon because it's still the best way to get piety with Ash in early game IME.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:39

Sar wrote:I always try to curse my weapon because it's still the best way to get piety with Ash in early game IME.

Does cursing the weapon give more piety than armor of jewellery?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 20:48

I have no idea! But you probably don't have any jewellery in early game, for your armour being bound you need a bunch of aux slots which you probably don't have either, and a weapon binds one or even two hands with one scroll.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 16:40

You don't need to curse it, as the lack of skill boost is made up for by the power of the weapon. What you do need is clarity, which you'll have very soon. Just pump long blades to 12, and you're set!
Last edited by Zargon on Thursday, 12th May 2016, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
<Sequell> Zargon is a greatplayer!
<Sequell> Zargon is a greaterplayer!
Online scoring

For this message the author Zargon has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 19:15

Zazen wrote:you can't curse a holy weapon...

it upsets me that this is true.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too