Amulet of Regen vs Amulet of Guardian Spirit

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 06:57

Amulet of Regen vs Amulet of Guardian Spirit

I have been having fun with mummy summoners recently and have managed to scrounge together a pretty nice character after finding an extremely powerful randart +8 halberd of speed. My main question is what amulet should I use? Should I use Amulet of guardian spirit or amulet of regeneration? At first I thought it was a no brainer, regen, but then I realized that maybe guardian spirits effectiveness could be greatly increased due to sif muna's channeling ability.

So, what do you guys suggest? Guardian spirit or regen?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tiktacy/Tiktacy.txt
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 07:15

Re: Amulet of Regen vs Amulet of Guardian Spirit

I'd use guardian spirit because its positive effects are immediately noticeable to me, unlike regen's.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 07:18

Sar wrote:I'd use guardian spirit because its positive effects are immediately noticeable to me, unlike regen's.

Double thanks for the speedy response!
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 09:08

I'd go with Spirit, because it directly helps to not die, especially considering you have low hp and high mp.
Regen doesn't matter as much as other things like AC, EV or spirit shield, except maybe D:1-2 while pillar dancing.

From your dump, I'd also stop to train polearm for now - it's more than enough in relation your other skills. I'd prioritize fighting, and a bit of air to get lightning spire online. Then dodging probably, unless Sif gives you some very good spells.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 15:31

I'll chime in and agree - guardian spirit + free and easy channeling is much better than regen. Especially since guardian spirit is like guaranteed damage shaving, while regen just helps for long fights and recovering afterward.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 01:29

Tiktacy wrote:I have been having fun with mummy summoners recently and have managed to scrounge together a pretty nice character after finding an extremely powerful randart +8 halberd of speed. My main question is what amulet should I use? Should I use Amulet of guardian spirit or amulet of regeneration? At first I thought it was a no brainer, regen, but then I realized that maybe guardian spirits effectiveness could be greatly increased due to sif muna's channeling ability.

So, what do you guys suggest? Guardian spirit or regen?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tiktacy/Tiktacy.txt

I feel like the main benefit of regen is if you're a noisy conjurer or qazlal worshipper or something and you only have limited turns to rest until another monster tracks you down.

The in-fight benefits aren't that noticeable except in the very early game.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice