Terrified; Questions about a promising Merfolk

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 15:30

Terrified; Questions about a promising Merfolk

My killdudes is suffering. I very recently found a +3 demon trident, and there are two (2) enchant weapon scrolls in my game. I branded it twice and now it has Generic Damage boost. I had to power through Shoals (AS MERFOLK) because I was struggling to kill things and I had already invested too many consumables into the fight for the rune. I have trained Charms/Air/Spellcasting very high due to Deflect Missiles/Haste appearing, and Haste is casteable at 6% with my current set up naked. Should I relax? I'm currently pretty certain or saving the scrolls for the first demon whip I find, as to open my Treasure Trove. I'm also certain about doing this.

I know training weapon skill is a Bad Idea unless you're not at maximum weapon speed, should I train it anyway considering their +4 aptitude? I also have a +7 scimitar in my pack, along with Arc, I started putting skill into short blades, though I stopped once Maud dropped me aforementioned demon trident. I also have FDA, but oh my god, the aptitude. Please help me not throw this perfectly good game.
Attachments
Izkari.txt
(24.59 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 18:01

Re: Terrified; Questions about a promising Merfolk

Yeah, don't train anymore weapon skill for a long time. Use the demon trident and forget about the other weapons.

The best move is to enchant the demon trident to +9 before you think about the trove, but I understand the temptation.

Train Armour only until you get 2-3 more AC (6-8 Armour IIRC). Then, keep training Armour, but add Fighting and Dodging and probably Charms. (Power through the Armour apt. FDA is great and you've got the Str to use it.) Use Haste all the time.

Find a way to get some allies: Evocations, which you've trained, is good, but have you not found evokers? Maybe Call Merchant? Summonings works too. Low level Summonings---Imps, CCF, Butterflies---work fine to give you some space to maneuver or flee.

No boots?

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
Elitist

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 19:06

Airwolf wrote:Yeah, don't train anymore weapon skill for a long time. Use the demon trident and forget about the other weapons.

The best move is to enchant the demon trident to +9 before you think about the trove, but I understand the temptation.

Train Armour only until you get 2-3 more AC (6-8 Armour IIRC). Then, keep training Armour, but add Fighting and Dodging and probably Charms. (Power through the Armour apt. FDA is great and you've got the Str to use it.) Use Haste all the time.

Find a way to get some allies: Evocations, which you've trained, is good, but have you not found evokers? Maybe Call Merchant? Summonings works too. Low level Summonings---Imps, CCF, Butterflies---work fine to give you some space to maneuver or flee.

No boots?

Thank you, Airwolf, let me answer all the replies in order as to follow up.

Agree with raising enchantment! Did it a bit too early, found a +5 trident of elec, burnt one scroll, though it was a good call imo.

Sticking with FDA. Found Troll Leathers with rC+, not enough food to keep it on and I know FDA is better, I will leave Gozag before I buy one food shop.

Evocables have been few and far between! Have Rod of Shadows and a Lamp of Fire back home. Found Grand Grimoire. Book of Callings in shop far away and I found Book of the Dragon(Are either of these good investments? I don't plan on using transmutations at all, I have charms, so I'd use both for summoning). I've been fishing for Book of Butterflies for stalling because I've pumped so much into Charms, I'd hate to recant on all of it and I want to make my castings less hungering. Plan on buying Necronominon for Death's Door.

I have boots, haha! I was in Shoals, my only boots were of Flying, and I'm Merfolk. I move much faster in the water and get a sizeable EV bonus. Thank you for reminding me, I'm slipping them back on.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 20:20

Elitist wrote:Agree with raising enchantment! Did it a bit too early, found a +5 trident of elec

Trident or demon trident?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th April 2016, 02:55

njvack wrote:
Elitist wrote:Agree with raising enchantment! Did it a bit too early, found a +5 trident of elec

Trident or demon trident?

Demon, apologies. Demon Trident of elec!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 29th April 2016, 04:01

Elitist wrote:I have boots, haha! I was in Shoals, my only boots were of Flying, and I'm Merfolk. I move much faster in the water and get a sizeable EV bonus. Thank you for reminding me, I'm slipping them back on.

Boots of flying have an ability to turn off flight.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th April 2016, 17:41

Elitist wrote:My killdudes is suffering.

Elitist wrote: I have trained Charms/Air/Spellcasting very high due to Deflect Missiles/Haste appearing, and Haste is casteable at 6% with my current set up naked.

This is why your character is bad. Don't aim for level 6 spells without Ash or high starting Int. Just keep enchanting the elec demon trident to +9, it is good.
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th April 2016, 21:49

MfGl shouldn't train spellcasting at all. Get your polearm to min delay, put some points into evocations for value, dump everything else into Fighting, Armour, Dodging.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 08:44

at least get some lower lvl charms spells like repel missiles, regeneration, spectral weapon
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 01:39

No, get more Fighting. Or Evocations.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 01:42

Getting Haste on something like MfGl at some point is completely fine IMO, just don't go there too early or if you have a wand of hasting and scrolls. Also, keep in mind that sources of wizardry exist and you can usually switch to those before casting Haste.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 15:27

Rast wrote:No, get more Fighting. Or Evocations.

Fighting is 13.8, Evo is 8. They are okay.

The first priority is to "ctrl-F" some body armour that does not kill haste and dmiss. Then train some levels of armour skill because that's practically free AC (the first few levels of any skill are very cheap).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice