FR: Let Vampires vomit blood.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 19:44

FR: Let Vampires vomit blood.

... Or cut themselves (dealing perhaps a couple of points) in order to allow faster reduction of blood levels.

Blood levels and the options they present are the most interesting thing about Vamps, but waiting around/spamming higher level spells/repeatedly using Bat Form is tedious (and you can't Bat Form if you've got too much blood, and the spell solution becomes less effective if you level Spellcasting, which sucks).

I'm thinking the vomit option should take a couple of turns (30 auts?) to execute, so as to not completely trivialize the process and allow it in-combat to shuffle resistances at low/no cost. Alternately, implementing an option where the Vamp cuts itself and bleeds out satiation should take just one turn, but at the cost of HP. Either option should (IMO) drop roughly one satiation level and produce a potion of blood ("You manage to salvage some of the vital fluid for later."). Ofc, the satiation lost should be much more than a potion of blood at all levels (pretty sure this is already the case).
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

For this message the author Tressol has received thanks: 13
Airwolf, Cheibrodos, Dingbat, duvessa, Rast, Reptisaurus, runewalsh, sdynet, Shard1697, Sprucery and 3 more users

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 23:07

Re: FR: Let Vampires vomit blood.

Does this mean Octopodes can shoot their ink, too? Felids can cough up/shoot furballs now, to make up for the inability to hold projectiles? Mummies can construct origami shuriken from their bandages, huh?

What about all the other humanoids? Imo if there's a simian race coming into development, they should be able to fling their poo at XL7.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 23:46

Tressol wrote:... Or cut themselves (dealing perhaps a couple of points) in order to allow faster reduction of blood levels.

Blood levels and the options they present are the most interesting thing about Vamps, but waiting around/spamming higher level spells/repeatedly using Bat Form is tedious (and you can't Bat Form if you've got too much blood, and the spell solution becomes less effective if you level Spellcasting, which sucks).

I'm thinking the vomit option should take a couple of turns (30 auts?) to execute, so as to not completely trivialize the process and allow it in-combat to shuffle resistances at low/no cost. Alternately, implementing an option where the Vamp cuts itself and bleeds out satiation should take just one turn, but at the cost of HP. Either option should (IMO) drop roughly one satiation level and produce a potion of blood ("You manage to salvage some of the vital fluid for later."). Ofc, the satiation lost should be much more than a potion of blood at all levels (pretty sure this is already the case).

(A) Yuck.

(B) Good call actually.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 05:04

DIngbat wrote:Does this mean Octopodes can shoot their ink, too? Felids can cough up/shoot furballs now, to make up for the inability to hold projectiles? Mummies can construct origami shuriken from their bandages, huh?

What about all the other humanoids? Imo if there's a simian race coming into development, they should be able to fling their poo at XL7.

Not positive that this post was a joke - while I would be happy for Octopodes to get ink, this is totally different. I'm not proposing any new sort of attack, this is about reducing tedium (and turncount, I suppose) related to manipulating Vampire satiation levels.
"This spell will have no effect right now because your brain is too dead to use."

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 06:39

DIngbat wrote:Does this mean Octopodes can shoot their ink, too? Felids can cough up/shoot furballs now, to make up for the inability to hold projectiles?

A man can only dream.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 07:38

FR: every race gets a 500nutrition-cost acid spit
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 07:51

I dont know why everyone is writing stupid jokes, but I wouldnt mind being able to lower my satiaion as a Vp at a cost

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 08:35

This sounds useful.

The last time I played a Vp, the tedium of managing satiation killed it.

Being able to regenerate health slowly while bloodless would also be nice. Taking damage as a bloodless vampire, then having some food, then waiting to become bloodless again is annoying. I'd rather be able to hit 5.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 28th April 2016, 11:20

Alternately, we could eliminate the relationship between Vp aliveness and hunger altogether and just make them into a species focused on transforming between a few forms or whatever.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 8
Cheibrodos, duvessa, dynast, kuniqs, nago, Shard1697, Tiktacy, WingedEspeon

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 29th April 2016, 00:17

archaeo wrote:Alternately, we could eliminate the relationship between Vp aliveness and hunger altogether and just make them into a species focused on transforming between a few forms or whatever.

Yes, yes - eliminate food, etc.

Vampires have the most interesting interaction with "food" of all species in the game - surely you aren't suggesting that Vamps just not have a food clock (and change forms in, say, 30 Auts) like mummies while, say, humans have normal food requirements. I find it equally improbable that you're suggesting that Vampires eat normal food, and saying that they can *only* get satiation from blood while being able to starve would be saying that vampires basically can't do extended.

This would, however, be the way to make Vampires work if/when food is removed, sure.

For this message the author Tressol has received thanks:
Rast

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 19:00

Tressol wrote:Not positive that this post was a joke - this is about reducing tedium (and turncount, I suppose) related to manipulating Vampire satiation levels.

Your idea is neat; I'm just busting your chops a lil bit. Personally I believe that vomiting all over the dungeon floor would be a waste -- cutting one's blood into an empty vial for later satiation would be better from a strategic perspective, no? Or maybe just implement both: vomiting for short-term benefit, cutting for long-term stratagem. Vamps would get either as special abilities at different XLs, or something.

Tressol wrote:while I would be happy for Octopodes to get ink, this is totally different. I'm not proposing any new sort of attack

Although Octopode inking could also work as a defensive utility -- blinding dudes, swiftly jettisoning away from monsters whilst swimming, etc.

vible wrote:I dont know why everyone is writing stupid jokes

same reason why 'everyone' is griping about them: 'cause it's the internet.
calm down buddy.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 19:35

DIngbat wrote:Does this mean Octopodes can shoot their ink, too? Felids can cough up/shoot furballs now, to make up for the inability to hold projectiles? Mummies can construct origami shuriken from their bandages, huh?

SIMIAN RACE COMING INTO DEVELOPMENT, YOU SAY?

Looks like the monkeys have effectively infiltrated the dungeon ... >;)

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 21:05

No. Vampires being able to control their blood level would be an insane buff. It would promote tedium, not reduce it.

Every fight you'd bottle blood, use enough to regen, then vomit it up. There's very little reason to not stay bloodless in many builds.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2016, 22:18

The issue is that you can still essentially do that, it just takes repeated bat form, spamming spells or mashing ctrl-5 a bunch...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 01:44

additional FR: Remove potions of blood. Allow bloodless vampire to regen.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 01:49

why not just remove vampires? Is the only appealing unique part of the race batform?

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 3
archaeo, duvessa, nago

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 1st May 2016, 17:55

batform, stealth+hex apts, and resistances (pois, ice, neg, torm), also heal on stab.

lesser perks: doesn't care about spell hunger, can get high regen by drinking a lot of blood

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 02:07

yesno wrote:batform, stealth+hex apts, and resistances (pois, ice, neg, torm), also heal on stab.

lesser perks: doesn't care about spell hunger, can get high regen by drinking a lot of blood

They're like a bad spriggan crossed with a ghoul and an additional "interesting" hunger mechanic.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 14:16

Remove vampires if you must but plz no "regen while bloodless" vampires. Would make early late game absurdly easy.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 21:49

tabstorm wrote:
yesno wrote:batform, stealth+hex apts, and resistances (pois, ice, neg, torm), also heal on stab.

They're like a bad spriggan crossed with a ghoul and an additional "interesting" hunger mechanic.

yeah it's interesting how much better vp starts to look if you just remove sp

fr: remove spriggans

lethediver wrote:Remove vampires if you must but plz no "regen while bloodless" vampires. Would make early late game absurdly easy.

what is "early late game" exactly (third rune? depths + zot:1?) and why would bloodless healing trivialize it...?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 2nd May 2016, 23:18

lethediver wrote:Remove vampires if you must but plz no "regen while bloodless" vampires. Would make early late game absurdly easy.

How would it be appreciably different from a ghoul
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 05:06

tabstorm wrote:

How would it be appreciably different from a ghoul
better stealth!

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
archaeo

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 11:21

ok but seriously remove spriggans imo

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
kcfos, Tressol

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 16:57

Just remove the food clock for VP actually for everyone... and let them change between "hunger states" at will.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 17:41

WingedEspeon wrote: let them change between "hunger states" at will.

The problem with this is that being bloodless is almost always preferable to being alive, except that bloodless vampires don't regen health. The role the food mechanic serves is that it makes it difficult to regen at will, and this offsets the benefits of bloodlessness. If you can switch states at will there is no drawback to being bloodless all the time.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 18:15

there is already no real drawback to being bloodless all the time, because you just drink 1 or 2 bloods and hit 5.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 19:42

FR: Bloodless vampires cannot drink potions (except Blood). Weakened effects/chance to fail for near bloodless. Heightened effects at "alive," where applicable (increaced healing or duration, for example).

Because playing like a mummy should preclude potion use, and bloodless vampire is generally much better than mummy, anyway. Also, to make Vamp hunger states less of a no-brainer once the character is off the ground.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 22:39

hmm, make vp worse, to be more like mummy, or better, to be more like spriggan? what a conundrum

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 00:46

yesno wrote:ok but seriously remove spriggans imo

I'm tempted to agree but would hate to see the various enemy Spriggans go... But I think Wieglaf (sp?) is still a Mountain Dwarf (the last of his kind...) so whatever.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 02:11

amaril wrote:
WingedEspeon wrote: let them change between "hunger states" at will.

The problem with this is that being bloodless is almost always preferable to being alive, except that bloodless vampires don't regen health. The role the food mechanic serves is that it makes it difficult to regen at will, and this offsets the benefits of bloodlessness. If you can switch states at will there is no drawback to being bloodless all the time.

Ok, add mild draining every time you switch hunger state, so you can't just be bloodless all the time. Or make the draining scale with how maney hunger levels you jumped, so going from bloodless to alive would give the most draining, etc. I prefere to keep my vampires at alive anyway because you get enough regen that it is actualy noticeble within a single fight.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2016, 12:33

you would just stay at very thirsty/near bloodless all the time in that case, unless your vp is a powerhouse that can benefit from regen and doesn't need batform, in which case you would stay alive all the time

also none of this would make sense unless food were eliminated from crawl, because if vp can change state at will, what purpose does blood serve?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 00:54

Even if food won't be removed (and I'm not holding my breath), it'd be a good idea to remove blood and change how Vp works. I don't know what that'd look like, but I imagine maybe two or three states, limited with an xp timer; you could flavor this as the Vp taking a bite out of the enemies it kills, which is basically how it should work for Gh too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 01:19

If vampires are going to exist as a player species they should just have a different gimmick. The hunger state thing is awkward, overcomplicated, and doesn't provide interesting gameplay. The game needs an entire screen just to partially tell you what the different hunger states do!

What if they just had batform and ONE passive gimmick like the following:
- heal for 10% (or some other portion) of all damage dealt by any means
- OR "dual holiness" (I detest the concept but it's what the current incarnation of Vp basically tries to do): always has torment, poison, rotting, and negative energy immunity, can always berserk/mutate/transmute/borg's/ddoor, and is always vulnerable to holy damage and dispel undead. Perhaps this would belong better on ghouls.
- OR something else, idk crawl has too many races

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Shard1697

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 12:46

i think vp are ok the way they are but since currently the best way to play them afaict is to stay near bloodless almost always, the easiest change would be make vp exist as species that is identical to current near bloodless vp (resistances, base stealth, and slow regen), plus torment resistance (since this is a major vp perk that you would lose otherwise). they already heal on stab & on bite, so you can just keep that, tweak it a bit if necessary. conceptually it seems like vp should be able to berserk and use transmutations despite being undead, i don't know if that presents a balance issue though.

or more like archaeo suggests, instead of gaining berserk/transformations they could have an xp-gated powerup ability (call it DARK METAMORPHOSIS obviously https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19hBerqA97c ) for temporary +regen / might / haste / no batform / -stlth ... just giving them berserk/transmutations seems better though i think, despite some kind of uh, holiness... overlap... problem. i am not a crawl theologian so i don't know about that.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 18:35

So, if food isn't removed, and blood is, do we want Vamps eating bread rations? Or do they become carnivorous? Or, do they just blow mummies away completely by having no food clock while other (non-undead) species still have to eat?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 19:45

they continue to be way better than mummies i guess

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th May 2016, 03:00

Tressol wrote:Or, do they just blow mummies away completely by having no food clock while other (non-undead) species still have to eat?
I mean, that's what ghouls do...

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 6th May 2016, 05:59

Can't Ghouls starve? Anyway, the rot could certainly get awful. Yeah, removing food probably means removing Ghouls altogether, doesn't it?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th May 2016, 06:33

Ghouls cannot starve and suffer no ill effects from the "Starving" status.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th May 2016, 19:37

yesno wrote:i think vp are ok the way they are but since currently the best way to play them afaict is to stay near bloodless almost always,
Every person I have ever asked about Vp has told me to stay as full on blood as possible always so I get high regen.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 6th May 2016, 22:36

then you can't batform and can't heal on bite/stab. if you don't need to fly away and can't stab you might as well get regen i guess.

Return to Game Design Discussion