Implied Abilities/Facts/Things of note

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 13:13

Implied Abilities/Facts/Things of note

Things that aren't documented in game, but can be inferred by system messages, god attributes, items, and so on and so forth. Race should be noted and treated as a general gauge, so, no generalizations like "we all have hands and feet" "we are incapable of swimming", or, some of the less specific ones like "we are all alive" and "gods generally view us equally".

Pertaining to the player characters as a whole:

- We are literate. We come to the dungeon with the ability to read.
- We are able to understand, manipulate, and evoke magical wands and decks.
- We are particularly courageous for our species. Even near death, we fight at our best and are undeterred by adversity.
- We can all theoretically cast the vast majority of all of the spells in the world with enough knowledge, time, and experience.
- We are average for our kind, even if our kind isn't average.
- Our gender and sex mean nothing to the dungeon.
- We burn in lava.
- We lead a functioning life before entering the dungeon, and we are youths of our kind. Our gain in level coincides with our age as well as our experience as a dungeoneer.
- We come to the dungeon of our own free will.
- We move at a brisk pace (for our race) to keep our speed consistent, even in mortal danger.
- We have the ability to speak. We are not silent protagonists.

Zooty wrote:Also, our complete disregard for pants.

We won't grow feeble from age and could survive until apocalypse if it were not for our violent lifestyle.

Sprucery wrote:Our physical characteristics don't make any sense. Doesn't matter if we're small or large, strong or weak, we can always carry 52 plate mails but still not more than 52 daggers.

Pertaining to the dungeon as a whole:

swoonis wrote:The Spriggan Baker is a cold blooded murderer.

duvessa wrote:that elves are pretty

pubby wrote:That orcs and elves are a georgist metaphor for the struggles of the working class.

WingedEspeon wrote:Every adventure enter a dungeon in a parallel universe, and the consumables in each parallel universe have different appearances.

Post more. They will be added.
Last edited by Elitist on Sunday, 17th April 2016, 10:48, edited 7 times in total.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 14:19

Re: Implied Abilities/Facts/Things of note

We are most probably outcast by our society for our insatiable blood-lust and love to kill anything.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 15:21

nago wrote:We are most probably outcast by our society for our insatiable blood-lust and love to kill anything.

We need facts! Like, undeniable things. Who knows!
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 15:38

nago wrote:We are most probably outcast by our society for our insatiable blood-lust and love to kill anything.

Also, our complete disregard for pants.

We won't grow feeble from age and could survive until apocalypse if it were not for our violent lifestyle.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 15:43

The Spriggan Baker is a cold blooded murderer.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 21:34

Elitist wrote:- We are average for our kind, even if our kind isn't average.
- We lead a functioning life before entering the dungeon, and we are youths of our kind. Our gain in level coincides with our age as well as our experience as a dungeoneer.
- We come to the dungeon of our own free will.

What evidence do you have for these in particular?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 22:06

"Average for our kind" is strongly implied since the manual entry for your species always reflects its attributes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 23:44

Our physical characteristics don't make any sense. Doesn't matter if we're small or large, strong or weak, we can always carry 52 plate mails but still not more than 52 daggers.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 00:28

That orcs and elves are a georgist metaphor for the struggles of the working class.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 01:28

that elves are pretty

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 03:36

How about the fact that } lists Orbs of Power. Plural. I like to think the Disco Pan Ball is just as powerful as the Orb of Zot.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 03:41

I always liked that detail, it really is pretty funny.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 07:09

cerealjynx wrote:How about the fact that } lists Orbs of Power. Plural. I like to think the Disco Pan Ball is just as powerful as the Orb of Zot.

Apparently some of Linley's old code references other orbs besides Zot, there was just never anything done with any of them.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 11:27

There is a huge pile of discarded orbs of zot at the side of the dungeon's entrance.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
Sar, WingedEspeon

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 21:47

Every adventure enter a dungeon in a parallel universe, and the consumables in each parallel universe have different appearances.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 10:48

WingedEspeon wrote:Every adventure enter a dungeon in a parallel universe, and the consumables in each parallel universe have different appearances.

That's always messed me up omg.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 18:48

I always imagined it as being like Castlevania. The dungeon is alive and changes. Or the Orb of Zot influences the dungeon.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 03:55

Experienced adventurers never enter the dungeon, because...

• ...they're all experienced enough to know better.
  • ...the concept of training doesn't exist in the surface world.
  • ...crawling the dungeon is a rite of passage for which you're allowed only minimal preparation.
  • ...our "newly created" characters have already traveled the surface world gathering the best equipment available and training as hard as they can, but even the lowliest creatures and floor trash of the dungeon make everything else look like weaksauce.

Also, and kind of related: Once you leave the dungeon (with or without the Orb), you can never return.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 23:50

Elitist wrote:- We come to the dungeon of our own free will.

I sure don't. My buddies just LOVE the "Let's lock Repti in the Dungeon and run away" game.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 23rd April 2016, 00:18

tedric wrote:Experienced adventurers never enter the dungeon, because...

• ...they're all experienced enough to know better.
  • ...the concept of training doesn't exist in the surface world.
  • ...crawling the dungeon is a rite of passage for which you're allowed only minimal preparation.
  • ...our "newly created" characters have already traveled the surface world gathering the best equipment available and training as hard as they can, but even the lowliest creatures and floor trash of the dungeon make everything else look like weaksauce.

Also, and kind of related: Once you leave the dungeon (with or without the Orb), you can never return.

Judging by dungeon trolls/ghouls/deep elves versus the player characters, the fourth one at least can't be true.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 24th April 2016, 14:53

imo when you exit the dungeon some old man comes up and is like, "Well that was just great," and he gives you a friendly punch on the shoulder and says, "Look, the villagers are coming to celebrate your victory," and while you're distracted by the peasants' cheering he takes the orb and pushes you toward them with a single motion, so that by the time you realize you don't have the orb you're already chugging beer while being carried on the shoulders of villagers. And then he walks to the entrance, opens a little door, and sends the orb down a chute that lands it directly in its spot in Zot:5, resetting the entire dungeon in the process.

Not much money in victories, but he gets to split the belongings of all the corpses with the Lords of Pan, so it's pretty lucrative.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner