remove deck tier

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

KSK

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 03:26

remove deck tier

you need nemel? no, you just need legend deck. :lol:

plain/ornate waste of inventory.

- remove deck tier

- more card power evo/nemel

For this message the author KSK has received thanks: 9
Cheibrodos, chequers, duvessa, nago, Piginabag, sdynet, Shard1697, Tiktacy, zxc23

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 09:33

Re: remove deck tier

The problem with plain decks is that they get obsolete too soon. Ornate decks are your bread-and-butter, really. I think two tiers of decks would work, but I guess one could work as well? It's just fun to get a legendary deck relatively early and have access to some crazy powerful effects in Lair or even earlier. I still have fond memories of unleashing a bone dragon on a D:7 orc castle vault. Those knights thought they were hot shit for that depth, but I knew better!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
dynast

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 15:04

Make most decks plain with a power level between plain and ornate. These decks would be usable for questionable effectiveness for the passing 0 Evocations player, but would scale in power with evocations, until they're on par with current ornate (or legendary at max evocations?). In addition to plain decks, have randart/legendary decks generate that function more as the current legendary decks; great for Evocations users, but still useful without Evocations.

So, make plain decks scale better. And have randart decks with pre-determined, unidentifiable cards. That'd be fun.

For this message the author Piginabag has received thanks:
Dingbat

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 03:04

I would love if there were no deck tiers so decks could stack.

Have a deck of destruction with 7 cards in it, pick up a deck of destruction with 5 cards in it, now you have a deck with 12 cards in it(cards added to bottom). No more inventory hassle, which might get me to actually play Nem again.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 20:45

Shard1697 wrote:I would love if there were no deck tiers so decks could stack.

Have a deck of destruction with 7 cards in it, pick up a deck of destruction with 5 cards in it, now you have a deck with 12 cards in it(cards added to bottom). No more inventory hassle, which might get me to actually play Nem again.

That would interact poorly with Nemelex's "stack 5" ability though. (And draw 4 to a lesser degree.)

Instead of trashing the rest of the deck maybe it it would have to consume 10 or 15 cards.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 22:29

Or perhaps it could consume more piety than it does now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 22:46

Trashing the rest of the deck is honestly not much of a cost in the first place.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 23:39

genericpseudonym wrote:

That would interact poorly with Nemelex's "stack 5" ability though. (And draw 4 to a lesser degree.)

Instead of trashing the rest of the deck maybe it it would have to consume 10 or 15 cards.
Sure. It stands to reason that if decks were changed in this way, decks as a cost would also change to an amount of cards. 10 and 8 would be good, as they're 2x the amount of cards you "get" out of stack 5 and draw 4, respectively.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 22nd April 2016, 23:58

Shard1697 wrote:
genericpseudonym wrote:

Sure. It stands to reason that if decks were changed in this way, decks as a cost would also change to an amount of cards. 10 and 8 would be good, as they're 2x the amount of cards you "get" out of stack 5 and draw 4, respectively.

Draw 4 only costs 4 cards. The downside is that you get a Nemelex wrath effect if the deck you choose has fewer than 4 cards in it.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2016, 23:35

My crappy idea is, to scale the tiers according to Numchux Okay's piety thingy.
0 - * = plain
**-**** = ornate
*****-****** = legendary
Both the umbra and halo of Dith and TSO respectively scale with piety, why not scale deck power??

Piginabag wrote:decks that scale in power with evocations
have randart/legendary decks

WOW you're a genius, pal! For srs!!
If Crawl has randart books, why not have randart decks too?

Return to Game Design Discussion