Another auto pickup button

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 22:33

Another auto pickup button

I have a suggestion: push this button and your character chases after all stackable items on the level that are already in your inventory. Example - activate button and you go chasing after all the ammunitions, foods, scrolls, potions or gold that your character knows about if you FIND for that item. It would only work for already explored areas. It would not automatically work, you have to select it each time you want to use it.

Valid?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 22:42

Re: Another auto pickup button

Doesn't auto-explore essentially do this already? Stackable items that are already in your inventory are automatically set to auto-pickup, and auto-explore will hunt down auto-pickup items you've seen.

Unless you specifically want a separate button that has autoexplores "hunt down auto-pickup items" behavior but deliberately avoids exploring new territory. Or I'm misunderstanding you and you want something else entirely.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 00:31

I have not tried Auto-explore. :)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 03:49

Well then, I highly recommend it. It makes the game go a lot faster.

BTA

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 12:54

So, after a fight with a pile of orcs and their are many bodies all over, I do auto-explore and that will pick up all the stackable things I carry?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 14:06

You can press \ to bring up a list of what will be automatically picked up whenever you walk over it, be manually or auto-exploring. Pressing it again will show the list of unknown items. Auto explore will always stop over a stack of items so you can see whats below what before continuing, so in that case you have to auto explore for each orc corpse stack and it will pick up everything that is set to be automatically picked up from that stack.
You shall never see my color again.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 15:40

BTA wrote:I have not tried Auto-explore. :)

ಠ_ಠ

For this message the author Piginabag has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, dynast, Tiktacy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 17:17

How on earth do you play this game without autoexplore? Yes, it does exactly what you want, plus it automatically explores too!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 20:28

dowan wrote:How on earth do you play this game without autoexplore? Yes, it does exactly what you want, plus it automatically explores too!

Well, the hypothetical optimal player would not use autoexplore... :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 05:47

Fwiw I would love a button that did auto pickup then just stopped moving, mostly because of ammo.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
Lasty, Sprucery, Tiktacy

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2016, 07:49

I would love ammo to mulch on use, mostly because of ammo.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 6
archaeo, Arrhythmia, duvessa, Lasty, nago, Tiktacy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 15:17

I would love mulch to be used as ammo, mostly because of ammo.
(Meaning ammo is removed from the game, get it?)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 02:25

Sar wrote:I would love ammo to mulch on use, mostly because of ammo.

Now that ammo brands no longer exist we might as well just stop having a separate "ammo" item.

Make it infinite or do like Tome 4 and have equippable bottomless "quivers of arrows".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 02:55

dont do it like tome4, that's just MP

just make ammo infinite

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
archaeo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2016, 13:54

On further thought, I suppose it would be nice to have a separate auto pickup button that essentially works as an auto-explore that doesn't actually explore anything. Sometimes you want to pick up all the junk you know of without going exploring, and I don't always want to press all those buttons.

What do you mean that's just MP? Tome had quivers you had to... reload after x uses, right?
But yeah, I'd rather just see infinite ammo. Then after we see whether infinite ammo hunters make melee weapons obsolete, maybe we'll have to nerf them.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 23rd April 2016, 00:10

dowan wrote:On further thought, I suppose it would be nice to have a separate auto pickup button that essentially works as an auto-explore that doesn't actually explore anything. Sometimes you want to pick up all the junk you know of without going exploring, and I don't always want to press all those buttons.

What do you mean that's just MP? Tome had quivers you had to... reload after x uses, right?
But yeah, I'd rather just see infinite ammo. Then after we see whether infinite ammo hunters make melee weapons obsolete, maybe we'll have to nerf them.

Well it's like MP in that it's somewhat limited in individual encounters but infinite in the long term.

But I wasn't talking about quivers in the sense that you have to reload them. In Tome different equippable quivers can have different stats or effects on your ammo. You might find an quiver that causes your shots to poison enemies, to knock them back, or to burn their mana.

In DCSS you might get a "quiver of flaming arrows" or a "quiver of bolts of penetration", although you'd probably want armor-style 5-turn equip time so you don't get the same inventory problems as before. And they'd have to be fairly rare to balance out their infinite nature.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 24th April 2016, 10:12

Siegurt wrote:Fwiw I would love a button that did auto pickup then just stopped moving, mostly because of ammo.

You can do this with autoexplore.

https://crawl.project357.org/rc-files/0.17/zzxc.rc
explore_stop = items,greedy_items,greedy_pickup,greedy_pickup_gold
explore_stop += greedy_visited_item_stack,stairs,shops,altars,gates
explore_stop += greedy_sacrificeable

When I hit autoexplore it goes and picks up the closest autopickup item and stops. If I see 4 different tiles with items to pick up, I hit autoexplore 4 times and then I'm ready to continue.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 24th April 2016, 18:06

zxc23 wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Fwiw I would love a button that did auto pickup then just stopped moving, mostly because of ammo.

When I hit autoexplore it goes and picks up the closest autopickup item and stops. If I see 4 different tiles with items to pick up, I hit autoexplore 4 times and then I'm ready to continue.

Not exactly great though, since you have to hit they key again for each item. It would be a real pain if there were e.g. 20ish arrows scattered all around that you wanted back.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 25th April 2016, 10:12

genericpseudonym wrote:
zxc23 wrote:

Not exactly great though, since you have to hit they key again for each item. It would be a real pain if there were e.g. 20ish arrows scattered all around that you wanted back.

I was going to ask about the possibility of typing `020o`, but apparently "you can't repeat multi-turn commands".

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 25th April 2016, 10:59

genericpseudonym wrote:Not exactly great though, since you have to hit they key again for each item. It would be a real pain if there were e.g. 20ish arrows scattered all around that you wanted back.

Perhaps what you want can be achieved through lua scripts similar to HDATravel.

In any case, I've been using this for a long time and it really isn't much trouble to hit autoexplore multiple times to pick up items. I feel like I have greater control over my character by just exercising one button. You can also just hold down autoexplore when there's no lag and time the release, which I do quite often. The new option in trunk to contol the repeating speed might be of use here.

Return to Game Design Discussion