What's your favorite Elemental School?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Location: Inside the Lernaean Hydra's stomach (Thank god for this Amulet of rCorr)

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 19:36

What's your favorite Elemental School?

I'm not sure that playstyle questions are always considered good conversational fodder, mostly because they're kind of broad; so i tried to be a bit more specific with this. Given that some of them countertrain with others, i'm guessing that not many people train more than two of the elemental magic schools in any given game - and, even despite the fact that crawl forces people to vary their playstyle between games, i bet that certain people who play casters prefer certain elemental schools to others.

If nothing else, this is just a way to get a friendly discussion prompted on a friday afternoon. hopefully, there's not much wrong with that. ;)

So what's everyone's favorite Elemental Caster school? I've always been partial to Air Elementalists - i've been told they're tricky to play (and i guess i don't get terribly far with them), but they seem like they've got some of the more interesting and varied spells in their school. They've got the requisite conjurations, sure, but then they've got stuff like repel missiles, swiftness, flight, insulation...interesting stuff that can really save your bacon ever now and again.

What about you guys?
Cheers, luv! The CeFi's here!

Wins: MiFi of Qaz (6 runes)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 19:38

Re: What's your favorite Elemental School?

I enjoy Air the most, but I'm more successful with Fire.

Nothing brings me greater joy than seeing that Tornado toss around a bunch of dragons and giants, sending them to their doom.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 20:00

I like Earth because Iron Shot is so damn reliable and Shatter-ninjaing is way too much fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 20:19

If Poison counts I pick Poison because it has a bolt spell in the starting book (sorry, I know everyone hates Venom Bolt!) and Poisonous Cloud with rPois is another of the few conjurations I really like. Cure Poison is a good spell too because it means pressing 5 less and also lets you save some potions. Poison Arrow is the best single-target conjuration in the game.
There are terrible spells too, like Olgreb's Toxic Radiance or Mephitic Cloud, the former from a "power" and the latter from a "fun" perspective, but overall I have the most fun with this school.
Fire would be my second pick because Sticky Flame, Fireball and Delayed Fireball are some of the most fun spells in the game. Plus, Fire Storm doesn't suffer from the annoying target issues that Ice Storm has, Ignite Poison is a great spell in certain branches, etc.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 21:46

I haven't delved enough into Ice Magic to know if I like it, but I know in Air vs Earth I prefer Earth Magic. I like the nice mix of utility that Earth offers and how it synergizes with my usually playstyle, and Stoneskin is probably my favorite buff in game.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 1st March 2013, 23:23

I think my breakdown would moreso be like:

Fire - Attack Spell, Attack Spell, Attack Spell, Attack Spell
Air - Extremely Powerful Attacks with Buff Spells
Earth - Awesome 1 on 1 Attacks with Alteration Spells
Ice - A Varied Mix of Spells of All Sorts
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 2nd March 2013, 05:54

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

-- Robert Frost
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 2nd March 2013, 05:56

Heart.
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

For this message the author wizzzargh has received thanks:
XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 2nd March 2013, 13:53

Probably ice - I think that I've had most success with that.
Once you've got Freezing Cloud online, most of the game is easy, at least until the point where you can replace it with Ice Storm.
I also tend to find that ice is more powerful than fire for the post-game, probably because it appears that fewer tricky things resist it than fire.

I've not had much luck with earth early, but LRD will totally change the way that your squishy mages think about skeletal warriors or bone dragons; picking up shatter later is quite fun for resistant foes and just busting through walls.

The thing I like most of all is that all of the elemental schools have different feels to them.

For this message the author dassem has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 03:50

All the air magic buffs except dMsl are buffs you'll easily get on charms alone. That said, I generally prefer air magic to earth anyway because tornado is, for me, a lot stronger than anything in earth magic. Though I can see how earth magic might be better for its terrain altering capabilities.

Fire vs ice is pretty much just a question of whether your character stands to gain from ozo's or not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 3rd March 2013, 05:03

Spellcasting
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th March 2013, 00:05

Fire! Conjure flame is a really fun tactical spell for hybrids.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th May 2013, 16:36

Earth is the chioce of mine.
Nice spells for mobility and protection, and brutal damage spells.
Du hast dich zu weit vorgewagt, (Hinter diesen Mauern!) dich durch dieses Tor gewagt! (Hinter diesen Mauern!)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th May 2013, 17:44

Iron.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 27th May 2013, 18:47

Fire for the massive DMG in early game, the only drawback are early crimson imps.
Ice takes second place for being nice starting school for hybrids (Ozocubu's Armour + Condensation Shield combo allows to go close and personal even with no armor).

I frikkin hate Earth thou. I'm have no idea how to survive early game with this thing.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 16:25

Annonith wrote:Fire for the massive DMG in early game, the only drawback are early crimson imps.
Ice takes second place for being nice starting school for hybrids (Ozocubu's Armour + Condensation Shield combo allows to go close and personal even with no armor).

I frikkin hate Earth thou. I'm have no idea how to survive early game with this thing.

The first earth spell, sandblast, gets a major power boost if you Ctrl Click on some stones to equip them. This is the first main tactic to survive against tough creatures like ogres for an early Earth Mage.
It is all fun and games until Xom tosses you into the Abyss.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 16:47

Maynot wrote:The first earth spell, sandblast, gets a major power boost if you Ctrl Click on some stones to equip them. This is the first main tactic to survive against tough creatures like ogres for an early Earth Mage.
Yeah I know that. It's still not enough to survive early game for me when everything with bigger HD than bat is considered serious threat :( . I often run out stones on D1 and then get killed by kobold's farts or something. I realize Earth has some pretty awesome later spells, but EE is just not my cup of tea.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 20:37

If I start as an elementalist, I love all three of fire, ice, and earth. I never got the hang of air elementalists, but hopefully I will someday when I'm in the mood to stick with them long enough to figure them out. If I start as a wizard, air is great and synergizes with charms and ice for a fantastic spell set. But if I start as a wizard, I'll usually go for whichever school gives me a mid level attack spell first, whether or not it's my favorite.

Fire: for a book with all attack spells, it feels very varied and a ton of fun. Conjure flame is a blast against brainless things, sticky flame is a blast against everything, playing a hybrid that will melee something while it stands on a conjured flame is a blast, fire is just plain fun.

Ice: very powerful, and a great mix of spells, with damage, AC booster, and a fantastic summons.

Earth: I find earth a little trickier, but still very fun. Lee's rapid deconstruction just never gets old. With earth, it seems like it's important early on to pump earth much more than conjurations, to get good power for early sandblast, and later on for LRD. Stone arrow gets pretty good with moderate levels of conjurations.

Air: shock is fun, but I never really got the hang of static discharge. Because of that, I have a hard time toughing it out until lightning bolt gets good, since lightning bolt is fifth level and takes a while to grow into.

I've only ever won with an ice elementalist, but I'm playing a lot of sludge elf earth elementalists right now. I had one very frustrating near miss with a demonspawn necromancer who ended up making earth the dominant school, but poor play at the end game got me killed (after picking up the Orb of Zot :( ).

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2013, 20:48

Earth.

Stoneskin is stupid good, LRD is great to break into vaults among other things. Petrify lets you run away easier as apparently does Leda's Liquifaction which I have never even used but would definitely learn on my next char. And petrify + LRD is also a fun little toy, as is animate skeleton + LRD.

Plus if you die, your ghost will do amazing damage with stone arrow, so you're get some gkills :lol:.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 06:06

Fire Elementalist is the best.
IE becomes a hybrid, AE becomes kiting ranger, EE becomes... My best EE hasn't reached Temple so EE becomes ghost.

About schools themselves.
Air is most useful (RMsl/DMsl/Freezing Cloud/Tornado,Air Elemental from Summon Elemental), Fire is next (Fire Storm, Fireball, Bolt of Fire, Conjure Flame, Sticky Flame), Ice(Freezing Cloud, Ice Storm, Bolt of Cold) and finally Earth (Passwall, LRD).

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 20:33

Air. It's got some nice low level spells, and the best 9th level spell.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 20:34

Hea-

wizzzargh wrote:Heart.

*shakes fist*

For this message the author yogaFLAME has received thanks:
XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th May 2013, 22:59

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 30th May 2013, 01:26

Since i mostly play hybrids these days (well, tabbers who dabble in magic), air elementalist is a common start for me because swiftness is an incredible game changer and is reliable during d1 and then almost always on from d3+. It's really unfair if i go ranged combat but thats pretty boring after a few times, but with polearms or axes its really fun and quite safe. I'd say that air start is more fun than wizard start for a hybrid even if wizard is safer.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 07:44

cmon man you're a bot, how do you even fuck up making a link

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 08:11

Air. Lightning Bolt is insanely powerful the minute you get two enhancers for it (and 7# power for max range). Very few things resist it too, which I like.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 08:30

i guess we're just starting up this thread again?

earth because i hate resists

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 08:38

Hurricos wrote:Air. Lightning Bolt is insanely powerful the minute you get two enhancers for it (and 7# power for max range). Very few things resist it too, which I like.

Sure, but it takes typically quite a while before you get there... and arranging double zaps is boring and LB is loud. I'm with duvessa here.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 08:51

I hoped two years was enough to master a spell in a starting book :(

Guess magic is harder than I thought
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 09:05

it's actually easy, little known fact: if you greatrole or greatrace something you get its powers irl

nobody knows what happens if you greatrace human, these who did remain silent and among others the very idea is spoken in hushed tones

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th March 2016, 09:11

"Strange and repulsive" is not really what I'd call a power...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 06:35

for more than a year i've been using my demigod powers to slowly make anime real

also there are like 50 cursed jehovah's witnesses running around now

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 13th March 2016, 15:55

Could a full god quickly make anime real?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner