Comborobin

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 21:28

Re: Comborobin

Greater Ghoul, and 7 combos left!
Comborobin Admin

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th February 2016, 03:45

"I still don’t like it,” he said, seven days later, as the tough little mountain dwarfs carried them down the winding road. “And don’t you think I’m running away because I’m afraid. I’m just sorry for those poor old guys up there, and I don’t want to be around when they find what suckers they’ve been. Wonder how Xen will take it?” “It’s funny,” replied Hurricos, “but when I said good-by I got the idea he knew we were walking out on him — and that he didn’t care because he knew the game was running smoothly and that the job would soon be finished. After that — well, of course, for him there just isn’t any After That....”
Sphara turned in his barding and stared back up the mountain road. This was the last place from which one could get a clear view of the dungeon. The squat, angular buildings were silhouetted against the afterglow of the sunset: here and there, lights gleamed like sunspots in the side of a sun demon. Electric lights, of course, sharing the same circuit as CSZO. How much longer would they share it? wondered Sphara. Would Xen smash up the server in his rage and disappointment? Or would he just sit down quietly and begin his robin all over again?”
He knew exactly what was happening up on the mountain at this very moment. Xen and his assistants would be sitting in their silk robes, inspecting the morgues as the junior players carried them away from the akrasiac.org and pasted them into the great spreadsheet. No one would be saying anything. The only sound would be the incessant patter, the never-ending rainstorm of the keys hitting the server, for CSZO itself was utterly silent as it flashed through its thousands of calculations a second. Ten months of this, thought Sphara, was enough to start anyone climbing up the wall.
“There she is!” called Hurricos, pointing down into the valley. “Ain’t she beautiful!”
She certainly was, thought Sphara. The battered old air traffic control airplane lay at the end of the runway like a tiny silver cross. In two hours she would be bearing them away to freedom and sanity. It was a thought worth savoring like a fine liqueur. Sphara let it roll round his mind as the dwarfs trudged patiently down the slope.
The swift night of the surface was now almost upon them. Fortunately, the road was very good, as roads went in that region, and they were both had magic mapping. There was not the slightest danger, only a certain discomfort from the bitter cold. The sky overhead was perfectly clear, and ablaze with the familiar, friendly stars. At least there would be no risk, thought Sphara, of the pilot being unable to take off because of weather conditions. That had been his only remaining worry.
He began to sing, but gave it up after a while. This vast arena of mountains, gleaming like whitely hooded ghosts on every side, did not encourage such ebullience. Presently Sphara glanced at his watch.
“Should be there in an hour,” he called back over his shoulder to Hurricos. Then he added, in an afterthought: “Wonder if comborobin finished its run. It was due about now.”
Hurricos didn’t reply, so Sphara swung round in his barding. He could just see Hurricos’s face, a white oval turned toward the sky.
“Look,” whispered Hurricos, and Sphara lifted his eyes to heaven. (There is always a last time for everything.)
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th February 2016, 03:59

Curse of the KoWz?

Another one bit the dust in Z:5. 3x bonus points for whoever wins the combo!
Comborobin Admin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th February 2016, 04:27

Dying in Zot:5 with dragoncall, nemelex, malgate, XXX, and 30+/40+ because you chose not to wear your rf+++ ring with 0 fire resistance without potions

Why do you do this, tavern? Did you fall for the "you don't need rF in Zot" thing?
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
nago

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2016, 07:33

And the curse of the KoWz is over. Had a really easy Z:5. First off, tons of shops on V:5 meant enough consumables for a good 4 wins. Then only one OoF and a handful of Alichs. Great Zot layout. I do question one of the players skill investments though. Did this char really need 21 shields? It was Okie, so at most you needed 16, and frankly, sticking with a buckler and using that XP for more spells would have been better.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 13:36

I didn't do that! I know I love shields but I stopped at 5! It was mps. Had to be! TBH this char was a nightmare due to having only a +1 dagger pre-lair and probably was doomed before finding a +7 long sword with rpois and freeze right before lair.

I also got a DrNe to 2 runes / V4 last night and fed it to Sphara for an alley oop slam dunk. Thanks to everyone who stopped in the last couple days to yell at me that there was already a DrNe and KoWz. :roll:

Someone finished Statform Kitty too so boom.
  Code:
beem: I am beem. Type beem help for assistance.
comborobin: !crunwon
beem: All combos have been won at least once!

Guess that's it for trunk so I started up a Merfolk Death Knight. 8-) 8-) 8-)

edit: DrNe was red, gamma pointed this out
  Code:
comborobin: !tiamat comborobin
beem: comborobin is a tiamat player

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 15:03

Congratulations everyone!!! It's a testament to good game design that crawl can remain interesting and winnable for every single combo. (The jury's still out on "fun".... I'm looking at you, Centaur!)
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 15:18

It's done! For the first time in the history of crawl, all stable version combos have been won on a single account.
The project started in May 22, 2015, and was finished March 2, 2016. The first combo was a KoBe won by Sphara, and the last won combo was a FeEE stone kitty, also won by Sphara (with help from someone else on cszo). Comborobin is also a tiamat player, has achieved every stable 27 skill and god title, and is a VpBe away from being a 15-rune greaterplayer.

Special thanks to: Sphara, Hurricos (King of the casters), Airwolf (15 rune & title guy), Le_Nerd (King of the 'Podes), MrPlanck, HDA, pubby (King of the Ants), elmdor, mps (king of smh), Bart, Edgefigaro, Nilsbloodaxe, and others.
Comborobin Admin

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 15:31

It was an honor, gentlemen and gentlewomen. Great fun, and a fine achievement. Anyone up to do some analysis on the game stats?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 15:40

Now it's time to 'post your wins' :D
Wins* were me alone, others were collaborations.

Code:
CeMo*, CeSk, DDAm, DDCK*, DDGl*, DDIE*, DDMo, DDWr, DgAs, DgGl*, DgSk*, DgSu*, DsAK*, DsAr, DSBe, DsFi*, FeAr*, FeBe, FeMo, FoAK, FoAs*, FoBe, FoFe, FoGl, FoNe, FoWr, GhEn*, GrAE, GrAK, GrAr*, GrNe, HaBe, HaFE*, HaGl, HEAK, HEMo, HEWz, HOAs*, HOSk, HuAr*, HuBe*, HuGl*, HuSk, KoMo, MfAK*, MfAs, MfBe, MfCj*, MfFi, MfMo, MfNe, MiAE, MiAK, MiAm, MiAr*, MiAs*, MiBe, MiFi, MiGl, MiMo, MiVM, MuAK*, MuAr, MuAs, MuBe, MuCj*, NaAK, NaTm, OgAK, OgAm, OgVM, TeAm, TeGl*, TrAm, TrAr*, TrAs, TrBe, TrFe, TrGl, TrIE*, TrNe*, TrTm*, VpEn, VpFi, VpGl, VpTm*, VSAE*, VSAK*, VSAm, VSBe*, VSEn*, VSGl*, VSHu*, VSMo, VSNe*, VSSk, VSVm*, VSWn*, GhSu*
Comborobin Admin

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 15:49

solo wins: DDAr, DrTm, GrGl, GrMo, GrWr, HOTm, HuWz, MfSk, MiCj, TeCj, VpWr, VSEE (12 total)

team wins: DDCj, DDTm, DDWz, DECj, DgTm, DrAr, DrFi, GhFE, GhSk, GrAK, GrWz, HETm, HOAM, MiAE, MuSu, NaEE, NaFi, OgAs, OgWr, TeAE, TeSk, TrHu, VpAK, VpEn, VpFE, VpSk, (26 total)

total 38
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 16:03

Congratulations on becoming a greatestplayer, comborobin! If someone wins a tracked experimental species, it can be a greaterestplayer too.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 17:48

Awesome work, folks! I'm pleased to hear about the Tiamat.

I'm gonna get that damned 15-rune VpBe! (Ok, I'll probably do Vp and Be separately.) With that and greaterestplayer, we'll have every goal that anyone has suggested.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2016, 18:12

I don't even remember all the combos I did, but I know I didn't solo any.

Don't worry arag, I credited some mysterious player for all that shield investment.

Pffft and gamma is still getting credit for pointing out the !tiamat thing. That was all me! :p

But great job everyone, it was fun!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 00:56

CeAM, CeIE, DDEn, DrEn, DrSu, DsCj, DsIE, DsWn, FoNe, GhHu, GrAE, GrNe, HaCj, HEWz, HOSk, HuAE, HuBe, KoAr, KoHu, KoSk, MfHu, MfIE, MfSu, MiAM, MiWn, MuAs, SpCK, TrEE, VpAs, VpCK, VSCK

31 Wins with 7 solo runs, at least for the ones I tracked on the spreadsheet.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 01:23

Well done everyone! This was a great challenge, Xen, thank you.

Using Xen's convention, * means solo win. I had many good tag-team wins with edgefigaro, who often let me start and then did most of the work getting the win.

I entered my name only if I got a new combo to lair, got a rune, or got a win.

CeAM, CeVM, DDHu, DEAK, DEFi, DEIE, DEVM, DgAM, DgCj*, DgEn*, DgFi*, DgMo, DgNe, DgVM, DgWr, DrCK, DrEn, DrMo, DrSu, DsIE, DsMo, DsWn, FeCK, FeIE, FoBe, FoFE, FoHu, FoIE, FoWr, GhAK*, GhCj, GhCK, GhMo*, GrAE, HaBe, HaGl, HaMo, HaSu, HEBe*, HEFi, HEMo, HEWr*, HuAE, HuAM*, HuAs*, HuBe, HuCK*, HuFE, HuHu, HuMo, HuWn*, KoAK, KoAs*, KoMo, KoNe, MfAM*, MfCK, MfVM*, MiNe*, MuSk*, MuVM*, MuWr, NaAs, NaEn*, NaGl, NaMo*, OgAE, OgAK, OgSu, OgVM, OgWz, SpBe*, SpCK, SpFi*, SpMo*, TeAs, TeCK, TeEn, TeFi*, TeMo, TrAM, TrEn*, TrMo, TrSk*, TrSu, VpAE, VpAs, VpEn, VpFi, VpMo, VpSu, VSSk

92 wins (not counting my two glorious SE wins), with 25 solo.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 02:14

So next is hscomborobin, where you do the same thing but have to get the high score on that char for it to count. Good luck!

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 03:37

16:34 < miek_> !comborobinhs
16:35 < Sequell> Chars that comborobin has the high score for: KoIE, VSAE, MuEE

Already 3/615 of the way there.

But seriously good job guys.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 16:49

MfDk might be ok after a long start without a decent weapon:
  Code:
The barbed spikes dig painfully into your body as you move.
_S - a scroll labeled MIDEX BATAD
 As you read the scroll labeled MIDEX BATAD, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
 [a] Weapon [b] Armour        [c] Jewellery [d] Book [e] Staff     
 [f] Wand   [g] Miscellaneous [h] Food      [i] Gold [j] Ammunition
_Something appears at your feet!
_S - an ebony bardiche
 Your +2 glaive of flaming {You're the best Maud} stops flaming.
 Your hands tingle!
_S - the +10 bardiche of the Jolly Realms (weapon) {speed, rF++ rN+}

+10
bardiche of
speed with
rf++
just for you gamma: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2016, 17:09

Who's this Jolly ? I want to enter its Realms...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 01:19

Each winked out after a subtle glimmer, fading away so softly as if begging to be forgotten. Each insubstantial flash seemed of no particular consequence. As the starlight slowly dimmed, the rough terrain all around seemed to become cold and lonely; Sphara was only drawn away from the spectacle by the sound of muttering between the dwarves' soft footsteps, and turned to the likely suspect.
"... SpCj ... DEWz ... DESk, oh what a strange game," the Spriggan giggled, clearly lost in reverie, pointing as each disappeared into the darkness. Sphara smiled slightly and turned back to admire the sky once more to appreciate the closing display. He began to ponder his own memories of it all, momentarily returning to watching Hurricos. "Do you remember them all ...?"
"Oh, yeah. Each and every darn one," the Spriggan nodded, jostling in his seat. "... Ahh. DgEE."
"I remember," Sphara sighed. "We all do."

The sound of quiet dwarven boots became deafening in the silence that followed. "This is it, isn't it?"
Sphara looked forward and shook his head, smiling out of the Spriggan's view. "This is it." The shadows that shrunk and grew around them, flickering in and out of existence along the edges of stones and boulders, gave them company in the presence of the damning thought. "It's over."

The sky was soon sparse, and the numbing cold and hushed wind and echoing finality left no sense to feel but one of peace. Many tiles and AUTs passed together under this omnipresent shroud, and as the placidity slowly faded, Sphara was compelled to search the sphere one last time.
In the depths of the darkness, with sight sharper than a crystal spear, he saw something new. The fading of the lights had not left a void: in the sky above, a trillion trillion dull spots shone, together somehow brighter than anything Sphara had ever seen. He broke from the mesmerizing sight to see Hurricos smiling a Cheshire grin.

"It's not over," he hummed. Sphara noticed gems in the Spriggan's eyes sparkling as bright as those above.

DECj*. FeSk*. SpCj*. OgWr. SpWz*. HESk*. KoWr*. NaWr*. DEWr*. DrAr. FeWr*. GrVM*. OgAs*. SpWr*. VpSk. DrWr*. CeWr*. DgEE*. DEWz*. DrEE*. MuWz*. CeSk. DEEn*. DDTm. DrAE. GhSk. DgSk. NaEE. SpIE*. SpFE*. HaWr*. MuEE*. FeNe*. TeWr*. HEIE*. DEAs*. OgEE*. HaAs*. NaGl. NaFi. NaSk*. DrAs*. GrCj*. GrWz. HETm*. NaSu*. DESk*. DrHu*. TeFE*. MiFE*. DEAE*. TeSk. HuWr*. DDSk*. HEAr*. HEVM*. HEEE*. GrIE*. KoEE. SpSk*. DDFE*. DEAM*. MfFE. GrTm*. GrEn. DETm*. GrHu. HESu*. DDSu*. DEAr*. CeTm*. DENe*. DDCj. DrVM. HENe*. SpGl*. HaAM. TeVM*. KoSu. TeNe. TeIE*. TeAr*. CeEE*. GhVM*. VpFE*. CeCj*.

86 wins total, 64 done solo. Nearly half of the Deep Elves done, and all my DE games done by myself. I'm thinking people really don't like DE.
Last edited by Hurricos on Friday, 4th March 2016, 02:29, edited 4 times in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th March 2016, 02:17

araganzar wrote:MfDk might be ok after a long start without a decent weapon:
  Code:
The barbed spikes dig painfully into your body as you move.
_S - a scroll labeled MIDEX BATAD
 As you read the scroll labeled MIDEX BATAD, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
 [a] Weapon [b] Armour        [c] Jewellery [d] Book [e] Staff     
 [f] Wand   [g] Miscellaneous [h] Food      [i] Gold [j] Ammunition
_Something appears at your feet!
_S - an ebony bardiche
 Your +2 glaive of flaming {You're the best Maud} stops flaming.
 Your hands tingle!
_S - the +10 bardiche of the Jolly Realms (weapon) {speed, rF++ rN+}

+10
bardiche of
speed with
rf++
just for you gamma: :shock: :shock: :shock:

RIP.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 6th March 2016, 23:21

I added a page for obsolete combos in the spreadsheet, for those who need their comborobin fix.

Edit: nevermind, there's already a better version in the runes page.
Comborobin Admin

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 19:58

Congratulations! I see that some of you guys put a jaw-dropping amount of work into the project. Wow, just wow.

For me, I completed 3 combos: DDNe, CeAK, VpBe.

And now for something completely different: let's check the prediction made in June!

Magipi wrote:It's time to make a new prediction!

The comborobin account was set up exactly 3 weeks ago, and so far it has 44 wins, but only 42 for the purpose of the project. That is exactly 2 wins per day, awesome. I think this rate is insanely good, and it means that 600 wins will require 300 days (10 months). The project may end in mid-March, 2016. But of course the speed may increase and decrease, according to the circumstances.

That was not bad at all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 23:10

Magipi wrote:That was not bad at all.

Amazingly accurate! (Worth of 'thanks'...)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 7th March 2016, 23:17

Someone should get the 'traps and doors' title 'dungeon master'.
Magipi wrote:It's time to make a new prediction!

The comborobin account was set up exactly 3 weeks ago, and so far it has 44 wins, but only 42 for the purpose of the project. That is exactly 2 wins per day, awesome. I think this rate is insanely good, and it means that 600 wins will require 300 days (10 months). The project may end in mid-March, 2016. But of course the speed may increase and decrease, according to the circumstances.

[/quote]

So we collectively averaged more than 2 combos a day for 10 months..wow.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 05:06

You should win all combos in arenasprint next.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 06:40

I finally won a 15-rune Vampire today, the last for 15-rune greaterplayer.

I killed tons of Vampires along the way. Maybe I'm just bad, but 15-rune Vp seems hard, maybe because of susceptibility to torment *and* dispel undead, even with Kiku knocking down some of the torment. The new shadow fiends are extra scary.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 00:00

Nice job! Yeah 15 rune vampire is annoying. I lost one on comborobin at >10 runes previously I think.
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
Airwolf

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 16th April 2016, 23:35

And greaterorbrunner!

I see someone has been working on DK, He, SE, etc.

comborobin will never die!

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 03:12

Is ccmborobin related to comborobin at all meaningfully? Or merely in name?
remove handsome distillation

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 03:57

I believe that ccmborobin was created by Pollen Golem for reasons unknown to me some time after comborobin caught on.
Comborobin Admin

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 17th April 2016, 05:25

Airwolf wrote:And greaterorbrunner!

I see someone has been working on DK, He, SE, etc.

comborobin will never die!

Seems a bit cheap to clear Hells, Tomb, and V:5 first, then go back, but ok. I guess it is technically correct.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 16:32

Yeah, I was too scared to do Tomb in particular with Pan lords popping up...

Orbrunning seems like a cheap trick to me in general, so I'm OK with my scummy greaterorbrunner. Feel free to repeat it with your preferred style.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 18th April 2016, 23:53

Totally within the letter/spirit of greaterorbrunner!

It suggests a "greaterorbrunner" category though :P
I'm sure as hell not doing that.
Comborobin Admin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 15:44

I think the technically correct way to orbrun a rune is to not even enter that rune's branch before collecting the Orb.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 21st April 2016, 18:07

Go for it!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 5th May 2016, 16:48

duvessa wrote:You should win all combos in arenasprint next.

I'm starting up some sonjasprint combos for fun.
Comborobin Admin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 6th May 2016, 07:08

And so it continues...

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2016, 15:23

New gods in trunk, so 2 new invocations titles should be available!
Comborobin Admin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 27th May 2016, 02:27

Damn you!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 27th May 2016, 05:04

I'm playing a VS with a dagger and my ancestor Not Gay is helping me stab things.
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
chequers

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th June 2016, 20:32

Time to set the comborobin password back to robin?
No one really plays the account these days so it's not much of a griefing target anymore.
Comborobin Admin

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 07:03

pass pls
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2016, 22:48

hello?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 04:49

I'm gonna change the password back to 'robin' tomorrow.
Comborobin Admin

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 20:10

Changed most passwords back to robin. Lemme know if you want to play and the password isn't working.
Comborobin Admin

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 5th September 2016, 17:09

Hey guys! If the all sprints all combos is a thing i'd love to help. Ill check this thread in a while.
Previous

Return to The Dart Board