YAFVP - FTL

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 12th February 2016, 23:56

YAFVP - FTL

Hey guys, tonight I played some FTL after a great amount of time had passed since the last time. Now, I had never won in that game before but that's because I usually don't make it during the last boss's phases. So, today I reset my progress to start with a clean slate, so to speak, and I got the Kestrel up to sector 6 where I died, unlocking the Engi ship in the process.

So immediately after that disaster, I started a run with the Torus, which has been my favourite ship so far, due to ion + anti ship drone start, but I've also used the other 2 Engi ship variants before which are very interesting to play on their own.

In the end, this happened:
Spoiler: show
2016-02-13_00001.jpg
2016-02-13_00001.jpg (265.3 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

During this journey, I lost 5 crew but still had quite a few people by the end, as you can see. And frankly, I think I probably survived due to the fire extinguisher and anti-ion ship mods, as well as the engi nanomed dispersal because it's very useful for boarders and all sorts of stray damage, especially with medbay 3).

So, do any of you play FTL and how often? I'm obviously a noob at it but this first victory was extremely dramatic with that 1 hp finish. :)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 13th February 2016, 01:44

Re: YAFVP - FTL

Congrats. a 1hp victory is still a win (just as it in DCSS).

I haven't "won" traditionally in a while, but that's because I've been playing with Captain's Endless edition, which is a mod that adds a whole bunch of stuff to the game making it more rogue-like. Besides having the option to continue forever in space (or advance the plot as the base game, but that takes 10 fuel at the exit beacon now), it adds an additional playable race, many more colors for the existing races, some more ship systems, more weapons and drones, many of which can have prefixes and suffixes that change their properties (eg, an "outdated" weapon might require one extra power). There are also many additional events and quests, a much more useful piracy system, trade goods that take up space but may go up in value, things to do at empty beacons (including socializing with the crew which might open quests or make them feel better about you after committing acts of slavery or piracy, or using a utility to manufacture something if you have it), and more ship layouts including space stations (which you can't miss, but which are usually much sturdier than ships).

I don't think i could ever go back to playing Vanilla.

my most successful run has been going for a long time now, and is decked out with good weapons and an awesome crew. But if i ever want to finish the game, i have to a) have 10+ fuel at exit beacons, and be ready for a much harder Final battle.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 13th February 2016, 13:43

Cool, I should check that mod out eventually, I guess. :D I've heard of "endless space FTL" before but wanted to play vanilla before modding the game.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 13th February 2016, 16:03

I stopped playing FTL after a couple hours because I couldn't stand looking up which weapon graphics correspond to which weapons and what those weapons do or the eternity it takes for Oxygen to refill after every battle.

Is there some mod which fixes those issues? I think I could like the game if it didn't have those bits of dodgy design.

(I also dislike the scripted choices with static hidden info, but I find it tolerable).
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 13th February 2016, 16:13

From a pure design point of view, I like this feature of FTL best: strict separation of tactical and strategical maps. Crawl suffers from using the same world for both, which is not ideal. FTL has a good time because you cannot go back on the overmap, and there's a strong clock driving you forwards. Everything else is graphics, so I prefer to watch rather than to play myself :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 13th February 2016, 16:52

dpeg wrote:FTL has a good time because you cannot go back on the overmap, and there's a strong clock driving you forwards.

I personally hate it, which is the reason i stopped playing. On top of being already hard, the game is reduced to a "try to visit as much sectors as possible" minigame, making it more of a adventure than a roguelite. Instead of making me care for my current run it makes me just take all risks to get as well equipped as possible for the final battle, because getting to the flagship without the slightest chance of winning sucks.

Imagine this is crawl: "i dont have time to do elf, so i might go there anyways and most likely die because i dont wanna make it to zot 5 and not be able to kill a single oof, i just dont wanna delay my inevitable doom." I am glad crawl is far away from that.

Of course, i have not played FTL in ages so it might have changed, or i am just that bad at it.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 14th February 2016, 00:03

reaver wrote:I stopped playing FTL after a couple hours because I couldn't stand looking up which weapon graphics correspond to which weapons and what those weapons do or the eternity it takes for Oxygen to refill after every battle.

You don't really need to recognize precisely what kind of weapon the enemy has, you just need to know what general type it is, and that's easy. Missiles are big grey box things, lasers have a red glow, ion weapons are blue, etc.

Refilling oxygen never bothered me, it takes 10-15 seconds max and that's if you have completely un-upgraded O2 and an almost-empty ship. It should snap to full when there's no danger, of course, but it isn't enough to irritate me.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner