Webtiles

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2011, 19:15

Re: Webtiles

lordfrikk wrote:edlothiol, I was wondering if you can attemp to say at this moment how much faster webtiles will probably be down the road. I realize we can't probably expect to match the speed of native code but I'd still love to hear your opinion.

And thanks for doing this, it's already very playable.

Yeah.. it`s really payable.
But like I said, the movement with arrow keys is still very low compared with the auto-explore movement... it makes you do some mistakes everytime...

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 3rd June 2011, 21:52

Anyone else using Chrome 13.0 and notice that webtiles is broken today? Yesterday it was fine, but today when the screen redraws things look funny.

I am the top wizard, after moving 1 square to the right.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 21:02

Pumpking wrote:
lordfrikk wrote:edlothiol, I was wondering if you can attemp to say at this moment how much faster webtiles will probably be down the road. I realize we can't probably expect to match the speed of native code but I'd still love to hear your opinion.

And thanks for doing this, it's already very playable.

Yeah.. it`s really payable.
But like I said, the movement with arrow keys is still very low compared with the auto-explore movement... it makes you do some mistakes everytime...

I'm pretty sure that's just a latency issue. If you are in the states, you have to talk to a system in Europe to play webtiles, thus it gives the appearance of it being 'slow' when in reality, it's just takes that long for a signal to go half way around the world and back.

The reason why autoexplore looks so crisp compared to arrow movement is because autoexplore is one command and the machine just dishes out the output as fast as it can without waiting for any other commands. In reality, what you see on screen is still ~1/2 second behind, but it gives the appearance of smoothness. If you ever try to interrupt autoexplore with a command, latency rears it's ugly head again.

As I said previously in this thread, webtiles is awesome. Those who put all the time into are awesome. Hopefully CAO gets it running there so we have a NA locale to play on!

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 14:48

I just finished an 8 rune dsbe win on webtiles. There were some sketchy moments here or there with lag, but overall it was fantastic.

I still prefer ascii I think, but I'll probably end up using webtiles more just because it's easier to load up (I save all of a handful of seconds opening a webpage vs opening the putty client).

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:06

Webtiles has been upgraded to a new version!
Features:
    A Minimap!
    Sprint and Tutorial are now also playable.
    Upgraded to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.8.1.
    Savegame transfer is possible now - paving the way for trunk builds!
    The view size for spectators is independent of the player's.
    Interface now allows editing of config files.
    Stay logged in via cookie!
    Supports more browsers!
    Various bug fixes.
In other news, Webtiles has been merged into trunk, which will make it easier to maintain in the long term and means you'll be playing the official version when we add trunk builds and/or when 0.9 is released.

As Kautzman said, what you're experiencing is probably just lag, which I can't do much about. About client performance, it's of course not perfect, and I will try to improve it (and there is much progress in the javascript engines of modern browsers, so that will help too). This update may have worsened performance a bit (because of the minimap), but that's probably negligible compared to the connection lag.

ClawlessVictory wrote:I know the map has been discussed, but any word on mouse support?
This will be done too (as mentioned, feature parity with local tiles is one of my long-term goals), but there's quite a few things that are higher on my list -- for example, the monster list, and being able to watch Webtiles games from ssh/telnet (and vice versa).

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks: 4
grisamentum, lordfrikk, Mychaelh, MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:17

Minimap is great! :D

However, on the skills screen, % progress towards the next level seems to have disappeared. (Unless it's something in the default options that has been changed and I'm just being thick.)

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:29

edlothiol wrote:Webtiles has been upgraded to a new version!
Features:
    A Minimap!
    Sprint and Tutorial are now also playable.
    Upgraded to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.8.1.
    Savegame transfer is possible now - paving the way for trunk builds!
    The view size for spectators is independent of the player's.
    Interface now allows editing of config files.
    Stay logged in via cookie!
    Supports more browsers!
    Various bug fixes.
In other news, Webtiles has been merged into trunk, which will make it easier to maintain in the long term and means you'll be playing the official version when we add trunk builds and/or when 0.9 is released.

As Kautzman said, what you're experiencing is probably just lag, which I can't do much about. About client performance, it's of course not perfect, and I will try to improve it (and there is much progress in the javascript engines of modern browsers, so that will help too). This update may have worsened performance a bit (because of the minimap), but that's probably negligible compared to the connection lag.

ClawlessVictory wrote:I know the map has been discussed, but any word on mouse support?
This will be done too (as mentioned, feature parity with local tiles is one of my long-term goals), but there's quite a few things that are higher on my list -- for example, the monster list, and being able to watch Webtiles games from ssh/telnet (and vice versa).

A minimap would be nice, however in the current one, I can see through walls and examine the layout of rooms that should be hidden to me (almost as if I had Ashenzari Scrying, but just for the minimap). Worse, the messages have moved so far downscreen that I have to scroll down to see them, and then up again to play. (Using google Chrome, 1280*1024).

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:34

Indrah wrote:A minimap would be nice, however in the current one, I can see through walls and examine the layout of rooms that should be hidden to me (almost as if I had Ashenzari Scrying, but just for the minimap). Worse, the messages have moved so far downscreen that I have to scroll down to see them, and then up again to play. (Using google Chrome, 1280*1024).
Please clear your cache (Preferences/Details/Delete Internet Data.../Select only "Clear cache") and check if the problem persists. (That goes for everyone: you may need to clear your cache; especially Chrome caches very aggressively, so you may still be using old client data.)
I seriously doubt that you can really see the actual layout of rooms you haven't yet explored, but there may be some display bugs. If you really can see through walls, I'd like to watch that.

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks:
Indrah

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:39

Jeremiah wrote:However, on the skills screen, % progress towards the next level seems to have disappeared. (Unless it's something in the default options that has been changed and I'm just being thick.)

That seems to be the case in the normal (non-Webtiles) 0.8 branch, too. I'll look into it.

Edit: Pressing * does show the progress (even after pressing it a second time to hide unknown skills again).
Last edited by edlothiol on Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:41

hm the minimap scrying is gone. I'll clear the cache also, thanks for the tip.

Where can I edit the config. (the edit rc link in the lobby does nothing?) this might help with the off-screen messages

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 17th July 2011, 21:44

Never mind, clearing the cache seems to have solved my messages problem as well. Thanks for your help.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 01:11

A big smile stretched across my face when I went to webtiles just a minute ago. Thanks so much, guys!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 15:02

Seriously, you all are awesome!

Quick question. How do I edit my config file for webtiles? Is that doable?

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 15:23

Before the update I had to use Firefox 5 because in Iron 12 I couldn't use ^~# and \, any of the special letters I create on my keyboard (French layout) with AltGr+ other key. I just logged in with Firefox 5 after the maintenance. The minimap works fine but I have to scroll if I want to see the messages. I got a small monitor and thus my default is 1024x768. It's next to unplayable for me like this. Before the maintenance it was like this when I was spectating at other players, that had a higher display resolution. I was only able to see a part of their window. My boyfriend has a slightly bigger monitor than me but he uses 1024x768 too and you should think display window would adapt to the resolution.
There is a lot of space between the messages and the rest of the screen.

Now I checked if Iron has the same problems. I still can't use \~^ and so on there but the screen looks normal. I can see the messages and the minimap and the playing window, so no problem there. That means I'll play in Iron again and have to write down what scrolls/potions I already know.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 16:29

blami wrote:I just logged in with Firefox 5 after the maintenance. The minimap works fine but I have to scroll if I want to see the messages. I got a small monitor and thus my default is 1024x768. It's next to unplayable for me like this. Before the maintenance it was like this when I was spectating at other players, that had a higher display resolution. I was only able to see a part of their window. My boyfriend has a slightly bigger monitor than me but he uses 1024x768 too and you should think display window would adapt to the resolution.
This has been answered before. Please clear your cache
(Tools/Clear Recent History..., select "Everything" as time range and choose only "Cache" in the details).

mrbobbyg wrote:How do I edit my config file for webtiles? Is that doable?
Click on "(edit rc)" after the Crawl link. (If that doesn't do anything, see above.)

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 19:20

You guys are godlike :D

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 18th July 2011, 21:08

I've never really had much of a problem with lag, however, the new minimap has hit my performance significantly, especially auto explore and when missiles are in transit :( Though, I guess it encourages me to think before I act.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 09:34

I had cleared my cache and it didn't help, but today it looks normal, so clearing cache and closing/reopening FF might have done the job.
Regnix wrote:I've never really had much of a problem with lag, however, the new minimap has hit my performance significantly, especially auto explore and when missiles are in transit :( Though, I guess it encourages me to think before I act.

Same for me, I just didn't mention it, because someone wrote here it might be lag (and because I don't appreciate if people tell me to buy a new computer). If it is lag, everybody should have it. I was spectating at MisaMisa yesterday and he/she didn't seem to have performance problems.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 12:06

I noticed a particular performance issue that seemed to affect levels with lots of clouds. It was on Swamp:5 with the ice end, performance kept crawling to a halt. As soon as I left the level, everything was fine. Other occasions I noticed some slowdown when clouds were around although never as much as that, but that's what led me to believe it was clouds causing it.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 19th July 2011, 16:46

Just noticed a little problem. The game wont update the main screen after I use the one-way stairs. I climb up/down but cant see where i am until i blindly move again on the new level. Haven't had that problem before this otherwise lovely update

For this message the author Grildrak has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2011, 08:19

Regnix wrote:I've never really had much of a problem with lag, however, the new minimap has hit my performance significantly, especially auto explore and when missiles are in transit :( Though, I guess it encourages me to think before I act.

I think I'm getting this too, I originally thought it was because I'd started playing on my laptop this update, but this seems more likely considering how severe the lag is.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2011, 20:42

This is a tiny thing, but when you go to drop items using d, you can see at the top "Press _ for help". When you press _, it opens the chat window. Is there some way around this? I don't know if this is the only place in the game where _ is used.

For this message the author DivineHammer has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2011, 06:01

I too have this Problem with Alt-Gr and Iron Browser. I play on a laptop with German key layout. That's the only thing which stops me to play online tiles.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2011, 22:23

So is Webtiles going to have 0.9 for the tournament which begins this weekend?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 11th August 2011, 11:07

I hope so, but this depends on Napkin to set it up, who is still away.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 20th August 2011, 12:19

With the new Ashenzari skill boosts in 0.9, I cannot view what my original skills look like anymore, since the _ that views them opens chat in webtiles. Is there a way around this or a way to change it?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th August 2011, 13:07

Dustbin wrote:With the new Ashenzari skill boosts in 0.9, I cannot view what my original skills look like anymore, since the _ that views them opens chat in webtiles. Is there a way around this or a way to change it?
Hrm, no, I'll need to change the key. Any suggestions?
You may be able to redefine the key (for the skill menu) in the rc file, though; I'm not sure.

Anyway, 0.9 includes some performance improvements for Webtiles. Is this noticeable?

MyOtheHedgeFox

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 20th August 2011, 13:09

I played briefly today edlothiol and I saw a big boost in performance - noticeable when using autoexplore. Thanks :-)

Previously, I'd not had lag issues, but had taken a big hit on performance when the minimap was added, it seems to be really speedy again now though.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 10:46

There is a currently a problem with viewing scores of games played via 0.9 webtiles on http://crawl.akrasiac.org/. When looking at recent morgue files, the URLs point to "trunk", but this brings a 404 page not found error, changing "trunk" to "0.9" in the URL loads the morgue file correctly.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 20th September 2011, 20:07

This is a feature request. It would be great if we could have a lobby chat.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 22:44

For the past couple of weeks I've been having a few problems with Chrome and webtiles.

1) Sometimes when loading my save up, monsters and items do not show up, I can move around and bring the inventory up but cannot see anything, like this:

notiles.png
notiles.png (35.31 KiB) Viewed 16772 times

I've cleared the cache, with no joy. This happens in Chrome for both Ubuntu and Windows 7.

2) I also have the browser stop responding when trying to view games, with an error stating that the page has become unresponsive and do I want to Wait or Kill the page. If I wait, nothing happens, if I kill the page, I am unable to get back to the lobby for a few minutes. Again, this happens in Ubuntu and Windows 7 on Chrome.

3) This one seems to be Windows 7 only (?). Sometimes the game freezes, usually just after a kill, before the corpse is drawn, I have to close the browser and re-load.. sometimes I can continue to play (and it appears that keypresses were still sent after the "freeze") after this but other times a message comes up telling me that the websocket was closed and I need to press refresh to retry. I have to wait a couple of minutes before I can get back into the lobby after that.

4) This one isn't a problem as such, but sometimes walls are drawn that I shouldn't be able to see, this is my DSDK on D:1:
walls.png
walls.png (121.36 KiB) Viewed 16772 times

I suspect the drawn walls is due to a graphical glitch and not some scrying ability!

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 23:47

In the past week I've also started having a serious problem with "The WebSocket connection failed," and the same behavior the above-post reported: the game stops responding, although if you keep pressing keys, the commands are still accepted by the game.

For example, the game appears to freeze, but if you keep pressing tab, you'll keep attacking, or if you keep pressing o you'll keep exploring. This is obvious when you close the browser, wait ~30 seconds, and then re-open the browser to the page.

Chrome tends to simply freeze more, while Firefox 6 gets to the "The WebSocket connection failed" message more regularly. This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 00:08

grisamentum wrote:In the past week I've also started having a serious problem with "The WebSocket connection failed," and the same behavior the above-post reported: the game stops responding, although if you keep pressing keys, the commands are still accepted by the game.

For example, the game appears to freeze, but if you keep pressing tab, you'll keep attacking, or if you keep pressing o you'll keep exploring. This is obvious when you close the browser, wait ~30 seconds, and then re-open the browser to the page.

Chrome tends to simply freeze more, while Firefox 6 gets to the "The WebSocket connection failed" message more regularly. This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

I have the same system (chrome/windows 7) and have been having the same problems this week with freezing/"websocket connection failed"

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 12:10

Hushed wrote:This is a feature request. It would be great if we could have a lobby chat.

I'm not convinced this is a good idea. For general crawl-related chat, there is already the ##crawl IRC channel, and I don't want to induce further separation between Webtiles and console players. (Note that you can access ##crawl via the freenode webchat.)

Regnix wrote:For the past couple of weeks I've been having a few problems with Chrome and webtiles.

Thanks for the reports, although it is generally better to use the bug tracker for that.

The bug where the display freezes while still accepting input has been fixed a few days ago, but the fixed version is not yet running on CDO.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 22nd September 2011, 14:31

Thanks for the update! Is there a timeline for c.d.o to update?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 13:05

grisamentum wrote:Thanks for the update! Is there a timeline for c.d.o to update?

I don't see any problems with webtiles nowadays, except for the websocket stuff which just turned on as default on 6.0 version of firefox I think, anyone with versions older than that had the websocket error and I just said them that it was probably an outdated version, it might be just turned off. Also when you go up and down on an escape hatch sometimes the map won't load right until you walk one tile (or do any action). I don't know the reason. Other than that, almost lagless and anything else perfect, lobby chat also works fine and is cool (though spectators are a little rare).
Last edited by seeeph on Friday, 23rd September 2011, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 14:48

Join dates are on the left, post dates are on the right.

I too am having websockets connection problems with the latest chrome and webtiles.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 19:54

seeeph wrote:
grisamentum wrote:Thanks for the update! Is there a timeline for c.d.o to update?

Grisamentum the Foo of Death (L27 HuNe)
The last post on this thread was on MAY.

I don't see any problems with webtiles nowadays

Good for you. It seems several other people do, particularly, those playing on Windows 7 in Chrome and Firefox. Your mileage may vary by OS and browser, I guess.

except for the websocket stuff which just turned on as default on 6.0 version of firefox I think, anyone with versions older than that had the websocket error and I just said them that it was probably an outdated version, it might be just turned off. Also when you go up and down on an escape hatch sometimes the map won't load right until you walk one tile (or do any action). I don't know the reason. Other than that, almost lagless and anything else perfect, lobby chat also works fine and is cool (though spectators are a little rare).

This problem started for me about weeks ago... I think the bug report is dated September 18 or so. Before that webtiles worked perfectly for me. This is not some case of trying to use an outdated browser or having a bad isp.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 19:57

grisamentum wrote:
seeeph wrote:

Grisamentum the Foo of Death (L27 HuNe)
The last post on this thread was on MAY.

I don't see any problems with webtiles nowadays

Good for you. It seems several other people do, particularly, those playing on Windows 7 in Chrome and Firefox. Your mileage may vary by OS and browser, I guess.

except for the websocket stuff which just turned on as default on 6.0 version of firefox I think, anyone with versions older than that had the websocket error and I just said them that it was probably an outdated version, it might be just turned off. Also when you go up and down on an escape hatch sometimes the map won't load right until you walk one tile (or do any action). I don't know the reason. Other than that, almost lagless and anything else perfect, lobby chat also works fine and is cool (though spectators are a little rare).

This problem started for me about weeks ago... I think the bug report is dated September 18 or so. Before that webtiles worked perfectly for me. This is not some case of trying to use an outdated browser or having a bad isp.

(Already edited, I've been on IPB my entire life lol)

If you mean the periodical disconnects well that happens to me as well, but sometimes it's not that often (it happens a lot on sewers though). I don't see any major glitches but the instability is a fact. I just don't see why it is considered some kind of inferior version, the game is fully functional (and yeah, I mean windows XP, firefox 6.0).

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:02

I think we're talking about the "browser stops updating, but commands are still going through to server" problem. You have to quit browser/close tab, reload page, and then return to find all your commands went through.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 23rd September 2011, 20:12

I've been getting the same freezing issue with Chrome since last Saturday evening (17th Sept). Can't seem to stay connected for any significant length of time whether playing or spectating. I always used to get disconnected occasionally but this is much worse. I'm using Opera for the time being, which is working fine for me.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 03:37

Just to weigh in, I have had the display freeze problem with Chrome, nearly to the point of unplayability.

I tried switching to Opera and the short time I played, no freezes.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 22:14

Assuming the problem on CDO really is the same bug that was already identified and fixed, it would be REALLY NICE if whoever maintains CDO would update the server. Playing webtiles on CDO is beyond frustrating right now because of the persistent freezes and random websocket closures.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 16:00

CDO is updated now. At least the freezes should be fixed.

grisamentum, Mychaelh, Napkin, Regnix

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 18:40

<3s forever

Thanks for webtiles in general, actually.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th September 2011, 21:55

The monster list for Webtiles has just landed in trunk!

As we don't yet have trunk builds, a screenshot will have to do for now.

Ashenden, galehar, MyOtheHedgeFox, paplaukes

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th September 2011, 22:10

Awesome!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 09:22

How can we play trnk in webtiles ?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 16:17

Is there any possiblity to connect ssh and webtiles session (on crawl.develz.org ofc)?
I mean, play on ssh, save (ctrl+s), log on webtiles version and continue my ssh game.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 22:31

Not at the moment. It's a goal, though.

patseb
PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support