The "About Me" Thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 22:18

Re: The "About Me" Thread

triorph wrote:I am pretty active in the ##crawl chat as "_miek".

Oh so you're _miek. Haven't been on ##crawl in while meself.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 00:35

Hi I'm Arrhythmia. I'm twenty one years old, study math at UBC, have basically no time for crawl or the community as of late, and I already know basically everything about duvessa and archaeo.
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 00:38

I also view the tavern as some weird Skinner box of thanking.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
BugHunter, greedo

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 00:45

daggaz wrote:
triorph wrote:I have a PhD in radiology from doing programming work for a new type of CT scanner, which is my now-job..

Jackpot right there. I think radiology has one of the highest incomes vs lowest workloads on the planet? But you get to program the machines...that's awesome.

Yeah except I'm not qualified to do any radiology work, my PhD was just on that field because it was the only department that fit at the university I was at. They now have a bioengineering department which is where I would probably be if I started now.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 04:08

Yo I'm Patrick, a student of biochemistry in the USA and an ogre enthusiast. An interesting fact about me is that I love to cook and also the crawl community member Arrythmia has on more than one occasion said that he could hunt me down and do horrible things to me based on the information he knows about me already with nothing more than money for a plane ticket.
take it easy

For this message the author Cheibrodos has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 04:20

Arrhythmia wrote:Hi I'm Arrhythmia. I'm twenty one years old, study math at UBC, have basically no time for crawl or the community as of late, and I already know basically everything about duvessa and archaeo.
whats my favourite DOS game then

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 04:31

Hi, I'm Drew. My two passions in life are Game Grumps (Jontron era only), and jerking it to chicks in latex.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TehDruid

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 04:33

Oh, and I have a YouTube channel where I do whispering lets plays for the asmr. Sometimes my cat is there!
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 04:51

Arrhythmia wrote:have basically no time for crawl or the community as of late

Oh, I get it, girlfriends are more important than thanking. Filthy tavern casual.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 06:01

archaeo wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:have basically no time for crawl or the community as of late

Oh, I get it, girlfriends are more important than thanking. Filthy tavern casual.

The only thing I like more than her is broadcasting how much I like her to everyone I know.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 4
archaeo, Lasty, TehDruid, WalkerBoh

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 06:10

you should team up with your girlfriend and thank each other's posts

For this message the author minmay has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, byrel, duvessa, Lasty

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 07:02

Arrhythmia wrote:The only thing I like more than her is broadcasting how much I like her to everyone I know.

she sounds lovely

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 13:18

shnurlf wrote:
byrel wrote:So much this. Except that my primary game addiction is Dota, with crawl being a runnerup.

If you ever want someone to play with, you can find me on steam with the same name.

I'll look you up next time I play. It's fairly intermittant now with new baby work plus a fulltime job. I'm perpetual padawan or some such on steam
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 13:48

You're all welcome to come over to my place and play, I still have a ton of imitation crab meat in the freezer...

For this message the author daggaz has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 14:02

daggaz wrote:You're all welcome to come over to my place and play, I still have a ton of imitation crab meat in the freezer...

Ewwww... I don't know why people eat that stuff.

Oh, and another fact about me? As I eat more good food I get increasingly discerni^Wsnobbish about it
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 30th September 2015, 15:16

byrel wrote:
shnurlf wrote:
byrel wrote:So much this. Except that my primary game addiction is Dota, with crawl being a runnerup.

If you ever want someone to play with, you can find me on steam with the same name.

I'll look you up next time I play. It's fairly intermittant now with new baby work plus a fulltime job. I'm perpetual padawan or some such on steam

You wouldn't be my first friend with a bady/dota conflict :)
It's always nice to find someone new to play with.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st October 2015, 05:53

byrel wrote:
daggaz wrote:You're all welcome to come over to my place and play, I still have a ton of imitation crab meat in the freezer...

Ewwww... I don't know why people eat that stuff.

It is actually quite disgusting and I don't eat it. The joke is just a reference to an actual (omfg) personal ad on craigslist: http://www.epicfail.com/2011/07/19/personal-ad-fail/

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st October 2015, 16:09

Hi I'm Nik, 24, did electrical engineering, started a PhD, dropped out, got addicted to crawl, won for the first time and stripped naked and danced around in my disco lit room with my pet pig(this did not happen).

In my spare time I like long walks along the beach (in a diglett costume), badminton, playing my guitar, doing guy stuff (in a diglett costume). Got a job a year ago as a software engineer despite my complete lack of experience in programming, but things are working out fine, and programming is super fun. I also like plums, and feed them to my pet pig (the non existent one of course). Why aren't plums in this game yet btw? Get your act together already gammaflunk.

I started my crawl career with Arrhythmia coming into my game saying "yup you're totally dead" and just left the room. And then I proceeded to win with no spectators :( *smallest violin starts playing in the background*. Anyways, *smallest violin strings break - these things aren't that durable* things changed after people realised that I played really dumb combos and liked to type in caps and overreact at the slightest of misfortunes that my characters faced. Soon the flood of spectators flocked in to see their beloved dragon king engulfed in lava (still not as cool as this chei person who threw the orb of zot in lava - good times). Muncho is my biggest fan and I am his.

Shout out to the webtiles crawl chat gang peoples, love you guys. Love the rest of you too (in a non sexual way). Thanks for including me in the tourney teams despite me being deadweight and lazy and sorry for all the MuBe.
Also I'm actually cheibrodos, and arrhy is secretly actually just chei. magicpoints is spectrina. Muncho is VengefulParrot, and I am VengefulCarrot (and sometimes VengefulNutsack). If you see me occasionally in webtiles chat please feel free to take a screenshot and make it your wallpaper.

P.S. if anyone knows how to contact (CursedNobleman) CN please PM me he owes me a :V. Also daaaang archaeo is a mod now. Hi Archaeo I'll be on my best behaviour. You can moderate me anytime, globally even. PLUMS.
Spoiler: show
>:V=3

For this message the author vengefulcarrot has received thanks: 4
archaeo, Arrhythmia, Cheibrodos, gammafunk

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st October 2015, 20:46

vengefulcarrot wrote:Love the rest of you too (in a non sexual way).

Hey, lets not rule anything out here..

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 01:40

duvessa wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:Hi I'm Arrhythmia. I'm twenty one years old, study math at UBC, have basically no time for crawl or the community as of late, and I already know basically everything about duvessa and archaeo.
whats my favourite DOS game then

Missed this, but I'm pretty sure it's Descent.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 02:48

you cheated didn't you

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 14:42

God damn descent is so much fun, it's more fun than butts. Now I need to fire that mess up when I get home and blow up some robits, thanks tavern

edit: I'm a 44-year-old Laotian woman named Edena and besides sometimes dying in Crawl and posting on the Tavern in a manner that could best be described as "fitful", I enjoy walking to the market, only having a decade more of good health to look forward to, and lying about myself

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 15:33

I remember when I was playing Descent recently and I encountered those red jerks for the first time and I was like "how do I dodge homing rockets", so I googled it and there was some Descent forum and one of the users was called "minmay". I remember wondering if those two minmays were somehow connected.

Still have no idea how to dodge those fucking rockets tho, apart from just staying really close to cover I guess.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 15:51

Sar wrote:I remember when I was playing Descent recently and I encountered those red jerks for the first time and I was like "how do I dodge homing rockets", so I googled it and there was some Descent forum and one of the users was called "minmay". I remember wondering if those two minmays were somehow connected.

Still have no idea how to dodge those fucking rockets tho, apart from just staying really close to cover I guess.

If I recall correctly (I haven't played that game since a rather prolonged binge when it came out) you could angle hard and fast in and away from the curve of their path and side step them if you did it at the right time, but it had to be when they were close enough that they couldn't simply turn and hit you anyway, but far enough away that you could still get out of the way in time (it was pretty rough timing wise). I recall not being able to manage it very consistently and I too found cover to be the better solution.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 15:55

At least you actually can dodge them, unlike drillers. They're like if zombie commandos from Doom had perfect reaction time and were EVERYWHERE.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 16:56

Hi people from around the globe, I'm Ilias (you may call me Elias -or Elijah- too) from kind-of-chilly-at-the-moment Greece and I relatively recently became 27.

I study Geology at the UoA, mostly tectonics, structural geology, some paleontology, everything rock related, oceanography, climatology, natural disasters, geophysics, seismology and a bunch of other subjects. My studies have been postponed a lot due to my initial lack of interest in the subject (for 5 fucking years!). I was rather immature with my approach and it has cost me dearly. I used to spend my time playing video games all day and night long... And I still do that, but at least I now attend all my courses and do my homework (most of the time...). I really can't control my gaming addiction, ever since I started playing video games back in mid 90s as a child... Back until high school ended, my parents were always there to keep me from playing games for ridiculous amounts of hours. When I went away for my studies, I just didn't have any discipline. Once I sat for 26 hours straight in front of a computer (okay, more like two computers, I went to a different internet cafe...). Surprisingly my eyes are as sharp as they can be, according to my last checkup. I've gone through a phase when I used to hang out with some guy from my department -who didn't care at all about Geology- where we "wanted" to write a sort of sitcom series together, but never actually got any work done, playing WoW instead, and the years just went by till I made the decision to actually work on my studies... Also I like to think I could write a book but it seems like too much work for possibly no reward and I wouldn't know how to publish it anyway, and copyright is quite the foggy matter to me. Also, I've delved into pixel art but I can't really afford the time to work on it extensively (playing video games is more important during free time, apparently), so it's just remaining a hobby I want to pick up later on, eventually...

Anyway, the past is the past and I'm trying to make the best out of the current situation, dire as it may be in Greece these days when it comes to landing jobs and maintaining any semblance of a positive attitude... I've had a wonderful girlfriend for the past 3 years so far, planning on finishing my courses this year or the one after (better late than never!), while this Spring I have to start my military service (obligatory here...) which is going to last for one year, I believe. That sucks and I doubt I'm going to enjoy military life, but at least I'll be able to take my leave when my university exams are taking place, to participate.

Also, since last Summer, according to the University of Michigan, I can teach English which has always been one of my favorite subjects even though I'm not much into literary sciences (is this the right term? not sure). I'm the guy who took on the Greek translation for DC:SS on Transifex, but I only worked on it for a bit initially and it was so massive that I gave up after realizing it's just me (and nobody cares, basically, very few Greeks play DC:SS) and when I came back to check it I found out that the entire project had been lost due to a Transifex issue, I believe. The project hasn't been up again, since people involved with it have not been active lately, one of them being Grimm, who stopped visiting the forum a while ago.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, it's always nice to hear about others belonging to the small community we've got here. :) Curiosity, you know. :P
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

For this message the author TehDruid has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd October 2015, 18:12

To dodge homing missiles in Descent 1 you want to put yourself anywhere that isn't in front of them; they stop turning if you aren't within a (fairly wide) arc in front of them. So you want to trichord almost directly towards them, such that you just barely fly past them and avoid getting hit. The turning rate of homing missiles increases with the framerate, and the speed of enemy missiles increases with difficulty level in single player, so depending on the combination of framerate, difficulty, and positioning, you may not need to trichord (or chord at all). Alternatively, you can duck behind a wall, because they don't track through walls and tend to blow themselves up on corners.

In subsequent games it's the same except the turning rate doesn't depend on framerate anymore, and you have the silly afterburner mechanic to help with speed.

You actually CAN evade vulcan cannon fire from both drillers and players; it's a series of projectiles like any other weapon, they're just invisible and much faster than anything else in the game. If you are far enough away from a driller and moving, most of their shots will miss. Still probably the scariest robot in the game though. (I'm tempted to say medium hulks and class 2 platforms are worse, at least on ace and insane, because of the former having terrifying AI and the latter being able to kill pretty much instantly, but it's very, very close.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 4th October 2015, 00:40

Sar wrote:I remember when I was playing Descent recently and I encountered those red jerks for the first time and I was like "how do I dodge homing rockets", so I googled it and there was some Descent forum and one of the users was called "minmay". I remember wondering if those two minmays were somehow connected.

It was probably the other one who plays chess with Arrhythmia.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th October 2015, 15:07

Hot diggity dang I'm so excited to have been playing Descent for the last 14 hours and now to be at my job

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 6th October 2015, 10:57

Hi, I'm a 26-year old French boy, currently living in Grenoble. I like drinking wine, eating cheese and complaining. I have a PhD in computational topology, and am now the equivalent of an Assistant Professor, but without any teaching commitment.

No trouble with alcoholism so far, but I binge-play crawl during one month every six months. The other five months used to be full of Dota, but I quit and have been clean since March (I reinstalled it in a fit of weakness last month though).

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th October 2015, 14:52

duvessa wrote:I'm tempted to say medium hulks and class 2 platforms are worse, at least on ace and insane, because of the former having terrifying AI

Yeah I was dippin and a-duckin all around some mines last night and I swear to the sweet lord up all on heaven that one of those medium hulks followed me through at least half a level just out of sight whenever I turned around and then when I was going toe to toe with a super hulk and dodging past a couple of homing missiles against a wall in a corridor, boom from the left comes a concussion missile impact that catches me in the AoE and I'm all, "what the actual shit?" because I completely forgot about that AI, what IS THAT AI

edit: YOU ALREADY HAVE 10000 VULCAN ROUNDS!

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
Arrhythmia
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner