The "About Me" Thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 14:19

The "About Me" Thread

Hi!

I'm Nate Vack. You can find me on search engines easily, because it's an unusual name. I'm in my mid-30s, and live in Madison, Wisconsin, where it's fairly cold in the winter and fairly hot and wet in the summer. I think our governor is an ass. I have two daughters (2 and 5) who have a ton of energy, and am married to a lovely lady. Our 5-year-old just started kindergarten, and our 2-year-old still pees unexpectedly sometimes.

I work at the University of Wisconsin, at a neuroscience lab that mostly studies meditation. I'm also the co-founder of a small software business called Gimlet. I'm pretty much a programmer at heart, and I like Ruby, Python, and javascript most these days. One of those used-to-be-hip kids, y'know.

A year ago Saturday I broke my back in a bike accident (I got better!) and I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

So, that's me. Anyone else want to go?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 5
Aule, byrel, cerebovssquire, lifecoder, moocowmoocow

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 14:38

Re: The "About Me" Thread

Sure! I'm Byrel Mitchell. Again, quite easy to find on search engines. I'm mid-20s, and live in Lake Linden, Mi. That's a small, mostly geriatric town in the Keweenaw peninsula, in the upper peninsula. Yep, that's right; I'm on a meta-peninsula. Anyhow, it's almost as far north as you can live in the continental US, but the temperatures are relatively mild due to lake superior. OTOH, we get >300 inches of snow some years, so I can't say winters are super easy.

I'm a programmer who's trying to finish his masters in Mechanical engineering (robotics) while holding down a development job and trying to put together a small software startup with my brother in law. I'm married, my wife's overdue for baby number 1 (Ransom Kenneth Mitchell; he'll be easy to google too.) I struggle with depresssion, and started trying a few anti-depressants recently.

Oh, and I'd reluctantly vote for your governor for president.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
Aule

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 14:51

I've always wanted to visit the Keewenaw peninsula. The drive is much longer than you'd expect.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 14:55

It's absolutely beautiful. And driving anywhere from here is longer than you'd expect. ;) The closest Lowes, Menards and Home depot are at least 2.5 hours away. Getting to actually good hospitals is 4.5 hours away. OTOH, I can get some of the best hiking, boating, snowshoeing and camping the US has to offer in 20 minutes. It evens out. ;)

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th September 2015, 15:01

Good luck with the kiddo. It's hard going at first, but it does get to be awesome. My experience with both of ours is that it's impossible for the first six weeks, and then gets steadily easier.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 08:24

I live in Madison too, that's neat. I attend uw-madison as a student.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:14

i'm martin, i'm a med student on leave for mental health reasons, i was a doctoral student but i was fired for being an incompetent ass who left the ethidium bromide lying out all the time, i like the violent femmes, i like drugs and alcohol but my girlfriend gets worried by that so i quit, i tried to get into gambling instead but she doesn't like that either, help

@byrel: are the anti-depressants working for you? i've been on several SSRIs but they don't do shit (possibly because i have a personality disorder the depression is comorbid with, not depression alone? idk but that might affect chance of success). maybe i can get on a different class of AD after my next appointment. ergotherapy/DBT is doing more for me than any meds i've tried. if this is too personal, i understand.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Aule, TehDruid

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:25

I'm Lucien, Luke for short. I'm 24; graduated with a BFA in Game Development at 22. And, rather foolhardily, thought I could make it as an Independent Development (Indie). I still stand by my original premise when I tried to start that my skills are at the level that either I could make something or I could easily learn enough more to do so; but...I succumbed to depression hard and haven't accomplished much in awhile. I mean; I know John Carmack created his first successful titles while living with his grandmother; so it's not an insane thought; but I wasn't there emotionally enough to stick to something that may or may not work out for that long. Right now, I'm working on portfolio stuff to try to find my way into a job as a Game Designer or Game Programmer. (Primary languages are C# and Javascript). Seriously considering trying to program a god or race for crawl for the sake of having "C++ Commits to an Open Source Project" on my resume and portfolio.

At least I'm not addictively playing crawl anymore; I default into gaming addiction when my depression is really bad. I mean I averaged 16 hours a day of crawl between 6-10 and 7-17 this year. That's not remotely healthy; nor was it 'fun' in any real sense it was being addicted to a false sense of achievement derived from a game.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Aule

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:33

Can we have a pic of you with a cat on your scalp pls Luke?

For this message the author Pollen_Golem has received thanks:
Aule

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:37

Hi, I'm T.I.D. and am from Finland, and I'm an alcoholic. Some of you might recognize me from my recent threads where I ramble on about things because I find things interesting.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Aule

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:38

Pollen_Golem wrote:Can we have a pic of you with a cat on your scalp pls Luke?
Lmfao. Why? ...Why not? Sorry it's awkward. Cat wouldn't cooperate.

I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, Aule, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Lasty, Pollen_Golem, TehDruid

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:41

bcarden wrote:it was being addicted to a false sense of achievement derived from a game

You mean there are other reasons to play Crawl?
ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:am from Finland, and I'm an alcoholic

how redundant

@bcarden: that's a really nice cat.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:44

[
ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:am from Finland, and I'm an alcoholic

how redundant

Oh you think it's easy for me just because I'm a Finn? Not PC, brah.
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)

Barkeep

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 15:51

I'm archaeo, and I prefer to remain pseudonymous because I don't want to give Arrhythmia any more material for his Crawl Stalker spreadsheet. I'm a nearly 30-year-old Hoosier who has no idea what he's doing with his life, other than being perpetually a month away from starting to work on a novel. So obviously I'm doing great.

cerebovssquire wrote:i've been on several SSRIs but they don't do shit (possibly because i have a personality disorder the depression is comorbid with, not depression alone? idk but that might affect chance of success). maybe i can get on a different class of AD after my next appointment. ergotherapy/DBT is doing more for me than any meds i've tried. if this is too personal, i understand.

There are a couple big problems with antidepressants: we don't really know how the brain works, and we don't really know how antidepressants work. People have decent ideas, but even theories like "chemical imbalances" have been questioned in recent years. I'm sure that the only real studies about the difference in etiology between regular depression and depression that's comorbid with personality disorders are hazy MRI scans that are basically like, "Well, this part of the brain is bigger than this other part," if there's a difference at all.

That said, the evidence still shows that people who are treated with a combination of medicine and therapy have the best outcomes, so stick it out. Psychiatry is still more art than science, but for the vast majority of people with depression, a class of antidepressants (or a combination of things) exists that will help.

Good luck to all those in this thread struggling with mental health issues; I know what a struggle it can be.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 4
all before, Arrhythmia, Aule, cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 16:03

archaeo wrote:I'm archaeo, and I prefer to remain pseudonymous because I don't want to give Arrhythmia any more material for his Crawl Stalker spreadsheet. I'm a nearly 30-year-old Hoosier who has no idea what he's doing with his life, other than being perpetually a month away from starting to work on a novel. So obviously I'm doing great.

cerebovssquire wrote:i've been on several SSRIs but they don't do shit (possibly because i have a personality disorder the depression is comorbid with, not depression alone? idk but that might affect chance of success). maybe i can get on a different class of AD after my next appointment. ergotherapy/DBT is doing more for me than any meds i've tried. if this is too personal, i understand.

There are a couple big problems with antidepressants: we don't really know how the brain works, and we don't really know how antidepressants work. People have decent ideas, but even theories like "chemical imbalances" have been questioned in recent years. I'm sure that the only real studies about the difference in etiology between regular depression and depression that's comorbid with personality disorders are hazy MRI scans that are basically like, "Well, this part of the brain is bigger than this other part," if there's a difference at all.

That said, the evidence still shows that people who are treated with a combination of medicine and therapy have the best outcomes, so stick it out. Psychiatry is still more art than science, but for the vast majority of people with depression, a class of antidepressants (or a combination of things) exists that will help.

Good luck to all those in this thread struggling with mental health issues; I know what a struggle it can be.

thanks for the help and kind words.

i got the idea about the personality disorder/depression combination relating to meds because whenever I read something about my disorder (BPD), it always says that no medication can treat it, only provide some symptomatic relief. it probably didn't help either that i wasn't sober for most of the time i've been on SSRIs, and my doctors have said that alcohol/drug use can make them useless. i quit when i started the medication, but relapsed after 4 weeks when the meds didn't help, and then repeated a cycle of a couple weeks sober/relapse for a couple of weeks.

sticking it out won't really be a problem; most side-effects are very bearable ~2 weeks after i get used to a different medication/dosage increase. i'm really just trying to get by till december 1st, which is when i start 3 1/2 months of intensive inpatient DBT in a borderline-specific psych ward, which i'm placing my hopes in.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 16:04

archaeo wrote:(cut many pieces of good advice)

I took citalopram for years for panic disorder, and some alprazolam as needed, and they kept me sane, apparently barely. I do somewhat agree that for depression, it's not necessary, but I do think it may be very helpful. At least I wouldn't have it in me to say one shouldn't take those; I ate them for years for major depression, and I found them helpful.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 16:38

cerebovssquire wrote:snip

Yeah, BPD is another beast altogether, but you're already seeking treatment using the best possible modality. I think you're placing your hopes in the right place, cerebovssquire, and I wish you the very best of luck.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Barkeep

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 18:26

I wish I had something useful to add, other than good luck, and take care of yourselves.

Also, thanks for sharing. Seriously.

Best,

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, TehDruid

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 19:08

My name is Nick, I'm 27, and I live in Los Angeles, CA. I work in film production, doing lighting for the last year, and this year I've moved into the office on the production side. One day I'd like to be a full-time producer. I practice Muay Thai and I've done two fights, winning both, which is pretty chill. I love playing crawl when I'm in training, because I can come home and for a while not think about work, or my opponent, or whatever. It's nice to talk to people playing webtiles too.

I've never really struggled with depression, except at the end of a relationship a few years ago, but once we broke up I was able to become a happy person again.

One day I'd like to buy a house and have some kids, but I feel like that's a long way off from where I'm at in life currently.

For this message the author lobf has received thanks:
Aule

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 20:10

I'm 31 years old, born and raised in Hawaii. Currently not doing anything except helping out at a farm twice a week. I'm pretty much boring and useless, but at least goats and chickens don't seem to mind that.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks: 3
Aule, TehDruid, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 21:39

I'm from Finland, have a family, and try hard not to become an alcoholic.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Aule

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 25th September 2015, 21:43

My name Shariq and I'm getting my B.S. in Zoology in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm a pretty poor student and I've was hoping to get my degree in Biology but I couldn't pass organic chem, so I had to change majors. I've been dealing with depression for a while and I know the meds I'm taking are helping, but it feels like they're not sometimes. I love evolutionary biology and ecology and I want to work in that area when I enter the real world.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

For this message the author Sharkman1231 has received thanks:
Aule

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 00:01

twelve, creator, lead artist director, lead director, diretcor and lead designer of dungeon crawl: pizza tornado, author of many fine threads, creator of exoelfs (stole-errrrr-featured in DCSS 0.18), journeyman member of the postmakers union, former high officer to the internationally recognized and certified court the Officially Online Internet Complaints and Disputes Resoultion Department, and friend to the wilderness. I love women, the stomach, the curves, the angulars and convexes and what you expect. when i have a woman she`s mine. also ask me about my black belt...
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
n1000, TehDruid

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 01:34

Sharkman1231 wrote:My name Shariq and I'm getting my B.S. in Zoology in Madison, Wisconsin. I'm a pretty poor student and I've was hoping to get my degree in Biology but I couldn't pass organic chem, so I had to change majors. I've been dealing with depression for a while and I know the meds I'm taking are helping, but it feels like they're not sometimes. I love evolutionary biology and ecology and I want to work in that area when I enter the real world.

I did/am doing some ecology research (epidemiology, specifically). It's not my focus at present but we should talk about school sometime! Both evolutionary biology and ecology have some very interesting mathy research going on these days, so if you're interested I can tell you a little bit about it

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 03:56

Nate, this is an excellent idea. Thanks very much for the OP. But an excellent idea is only a solitary flash. If the spark does not spread, no conflagration can begin, so I also thank all of you who have joined in sharing your personal lives.

It seems that I actually do have things in common with many of you. Importantly, I also suffer from neurochemical "imbalances" that predispose me to a raft of disorders, including diagnoses for major depression, post-traumatic stress and attention deficit. To the content thus far offered I would only add a note of caution about pharmaceutical treatments for depression. Over the course of about fifteen years, I was on, in sequence, six different SSRI or SNRI medications. Those years of my life were my most difficult and laden with anxiety, suicidal thoughts and personal tragedy. Half of the six medicines produced regular suicidal thoughts, two of them very seriously, and one which I actually attempted it while taking it as prescribed (and I meant it, but I even suck at that). A couple of years ago, after facing the imminence of another desire to attempt, I'd had enough, and quit taking those kinds of drugs. Since then, I've relied on self-medicated but dosed quantities of marijuana, which has done wonders, but even if I am absent some for a while I find no real difficulties. My brain doesn't go haywire like it did when I missed SSRI doses. My purely anecdotal and personal experience has been that the presumed benefits of pharmaceutical treatments do not outweigh the risks. I have not felt this good for a very long time, and while I am not cured, I am no longer plagued by my very being.

On the more positive note, I also love and adore my kittums, having three (same litter, born in my dresser drawer) whom I have raised and nurtured for going on thirteen years. Two are black (males), one is grey (female).

I also have been putting off writing a novel, except I decided I wanted to be a writer thirty years ago at age 18. I did finally envision a real story two years ago, and I actually began and have been writing it, but it's still being put off just the same. I've given myself five years to finish the first draft.

I used to be a coder and database developer. Could still be if I put in the time. Have put in a little time lately, but it's the first in a long time, so I say "used to be."

These days I work as a carpenter and handyman to earn a living.

I live in Florida, which is just relentlessly hot most of the time.

I often sit in my backyard and observe nature, rescuing any little bug critters that happen to fall into the pool, as happens from time to time. I'm especially fond of bees. When I get them out, I let them stay on my finger or hand, and they preen and primp to prepare for flight. They always do this little arm/antennae/head motion before taking off that makes them seem genuinely grateful to have been rescued. (Anthropomorphization, I know. I said "seem.")

I read a lot, mostly research papers and related texts these days, with multiple foci across cosmology, biology, physics, geology and economics.

I have no formal education.

IQ > 125, but I guess that still qualifies as *CENSORED*.

My right/left brain allocation is pretty even, as are my gender identity metrics, at least according to the tests for these things, so I guess I'm as smeared out as my characters' skill allocations are.

I play Crawl to enrage myself, seemingly, and it's a lot like gambling for that reason.

For this message the author Aule has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 04:55

38-year old short-tempered finnish slaughterhouse worker. Calms as quickly as enrages. If there REALLY is an condition 'Asperger syndrome', I most certainly do have it. Kinda normal everyday guy with some odd habits (playing crawl certainly is one of them) :D

No formal education.

Like other finns here, I've also had a track record of alcoholism. Currently off booze.

Tool's Lateralus is the best record in the world and Kubrick's Clockwork Orange is probably the best movie in the world.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
kroki

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:21

I'm not sure whether I like that fact or not that all us Finns are either alcoholic or fighting it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:36

I'll say this though to our American friends. In Finland, I'm currently unemployed. That state pays half my rent, and approximately 500 hundred bucks a month for being alive. I don't starve, and I get regularily bored and choose to get drunk.

I don't do it regularily, but occasionalicy so, like this weekend. Sorry for the listeners.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:42

There are no food stamps in Finland. Cold cash, one can use it whatever way they want to.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:44

hi i'm duvessa, i'm 24 years old and i like fencing, snow, mummies, super smash bros, and social justice. i work as a programmer right now but i'm not going to give my location because i think i have a stalker.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, n1000

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:46

ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:There are no food stamps in Finland. Cold cash, one can use it whatever way they want to.

with food stamps, i think you could still get vanilla extract and get drunk on that if you hate your GI tract and taste buds

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:51

duvessa wrote:hi i'm duvessa, i'm 24 years old and i like fencing, snow, mummies, super smash bros, and social justice. i work as a programmer right now but i'm not going to give my location because i think i have a stalker.

which version of smash bros? I just made a new melee friend at my school which is a little bit about me

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:53

cerebovssquire wrote:
ThreeInvisibleDucks wrote:There are no food stamps in Finland. Cold cash, one can use it whatever way they want to.

with food stamps, i think you could still get vanilla extract and get drunk on that if you hate your GI tract and taste buds

For sure, but we could buy actual beer instead. As all people should.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 07:57

Finland is the heaven on Earth. I could wish you all were here. Shout out to Bernie Sanders, I hope he makes America a bigger version of Scandinavia.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 08:30

n1000 wrote:
duvessa wrote:hi i'm duvessa, i'm 24 years old and i like fencing, snow, mummies, super smash bros, and social justice. i work as a programmer right now but i'm not going to give my location because i think i have a stalker.

which version of smash bros? I just made a new melee friend at my school which is a little bit about me
i play melee (main ganondorf), project m (main ganondorf and zelda), and smash 4 (main king dedede).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 12:13

Hi, my name is Ian. =) I am 38 years old, from Eugene, Oregon, but I have lived in Copenhagen, Denmark for the past 16 years. I am dating a woman who flies around Europe tasting wine for a living (life is so hard sometimes). I have two little kids who I love and adore, but who do not yet share my passion for all things crawl. They will learn. I have an M.Sc. in nanotechnology and am doing my PhD in the same field, working on nanoscale characterisation of catalysis under reactive conditions. I get to use a 10 million dollar electron microscope to basically burn shit and watch what happens at the molecular scale. Its pretty cool. Right now I should be in London but the trip got cancelled at the last minute, so I am going to rip down an old wall-to-wall cabinet in my room, redo the floor, and put in a fancy new closet thing instead. Later my girlfriend wants to come over and watch Alien, which she has never seen but she noticed it in my DVD collection, so I am planning on scaring the shit out of her afterwards :twisted:

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th September 2015, 12:17

daggaz wrote:Hi, my name is Ian. =) I am 38 years old, from Eugene, Oregon, but I have lived in Copenhagen, Denmark for the past 16 years. I am dating a woman who flies around Europe tasting wine for a living (life is so hard sometimes). I have two little kids who I love and adore, but who do not yet share my passion for all things crawl. They will learn. I have an M.Sc. in nanotechnology and am doing my PhD in the same field, working on nanoscale characterisation of catalysis under reactive conditions. I get to use a 10 million dollar electron microscope to basically burn shit and watch what happens at the molecular scale. Its pretty cool. Right now I should be in London but the trip got cancelled at the last minute, so I am going to rip down an old wall-to-wall cabinet in my room, redo the floor, and put in a fancy new closet thing instead. Later my girlfriend wants to come over and watch Alien, which she has never seen but she noticed it in my DVD collection, so I am planning on scaring the shit out of her afterwards :twisted:

Now your just making things up.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 28th September 2015, 13:17

Sorry for the late replies guys; my son Ransom was born quite healthy, but I was away from gaming forums for nearly all that time.

Thanks for making this thread explode!

cerebovssquire wrote:@byrel: are the anti-depressants working for you? i've been on several SSRIs but they don't do shit (possibly because i have a personality disorder the depression is comorbid with, not depression alone? idk but that might affect chance of success). maybe i can get on a different class of AD after my next appointment. ergotherapy/DBT is doing more for me than any meds i've tried. if this is too personal, i understand.

Well, Effexor was very effective in dealing with the anxiety end of what I have, but I got all the side effects (extreme exhaustion, anorgasmia, etc.) That made it untenable as I couldn't work, and the withdrawal effects from Effexor were heroin-esque (feeling like spiders are crawling over you, exhaustion, headaches, nausea, random hypersensitization.) Which was highly unpleasant. As I understand it though, I was definitely an outlier for severity of side effects and withdrawal.

I'm trying another one now which is entirely ineffective so far...

I hope I can find something that works.
bcadren wrote:At least I'm not addictively playing crawl anymore; I default into gaming addiction when my depression is really bad. I mean I averaged 16 hours a day of crawl between 6-10 and 7-17 this year. That's not remotely healthy; nor was it 'fun' in any real sense it was being addicted to a false sense of achievement derived from a game.

So much this. Except that my primary game addiction is Dota, with crawl being a runnerup.

Well, maybe it's a sexy elf stalker...

Seriously though, I'm amazed at how many regular posters struggle with depression. Maybe there's something about a tough roguelike that appeals to us. The journey being the objective rather than the winning perhaps. Or just the accomplishment of beating a game most of our acquaintances would never clear Lair in makes us feel like there's hope for ourselves if we persevere.

PS is alien really that great? I've certainly never seen it. But I'm not into horror flicks really.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 28th September 2015, 14:38

Apropos depression. Spent more than 7 years with severe depression and alcoholism. SSRIs fucked me up in a bad way, dropped them after a month (I became violent and very unpredictable, was basically like a cocaine-addict on them, plus orgasms were impossible and I could go 3 days without eating before I realized it due to shaking). Getting into PUA really turned me around as it is very focused on self-recognition/self-esteem and the signals you put out to other people, with the added caveat that the more I got into it, the more I got laid so that's a big positive feedback there. Then I got back into school and started accomplishing my life goals, and that really pushed me those last ten yards. (As did cutting waaaaay down on my drinking, but that was also a necessity from PUA.) Today I am very confident and strong about myself, for the most part very happy. I am certainly no longer clinically depressed.

Alien is an outstanding thriller with incredible effects apart from maybe the classic (but now dated) alien-introduction scene. It is one of the few movies that is supposed to be scary and actually is. Still get the absolute heeby-jeebies on the last scene. UUUUUGHGHGHGHGGODGODGOD PUSH THE DAMN BUTTON ALREADY FFFFUUUUU!!!!!!!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th September 2015, 15:22

byrel wrote:So much this. Except that my primary game addiction is Dota, with crawl being a runnerup.

If you ever want someone to play with, you can find me on steam with the same name.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 28th September 2015, 17:43

Mod note: (most of) Alien stuff split off to its own thread.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 28th September 2015, 19:29

byrel wrote:Sorry for the late replies guys; my son Ransom was born quite healthy, but I was away from gaming forums for nearly all that time.

Congratulations!

Sleep when the baby sleeps! Crawl and Tavern will wait :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 28th September 2015, 23:08

This seems like fun.
Hey! my name is Nicolas, I'm in my late 20s, and live in Chile (that little country all the way south of South America). I'm a journalist and work in a pretty major newspaper here.
It's kinda weird that so many of you have some type of depression. I've never experienced that myself but my girlfriend has been struggling with it for 10 years or so now, so I know what a crappy disease it is. From what I've seen, meds can help but you absolutely NEED therapy. Just having someone to talk to that can understand and not judge you is really important.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 03:39

Seems fun!

Hi, I'm Q (/paranoid/ i'm not putting my full name because CIA Illuminati Confirmed /paranoid/), and I'm a high-schooler in W. America. I play crawl every now and then, but mainly i'm up to my neck in essays and homework and the like.
I am a convert from nethack, but unfortunately i seem to have gotten my friend hooked on it, so oh well.

i deliberately use bad grammar to irritate people :D
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 04:04

I'm Michael. I have a last name that is pretty common too, but I'm not going to post it because I don't like the way it sounds. I am very ungoogleable which suits me just fine. I have a PhD in radiology from doing programming work for a new type of CT scanner, which is my now-job. I'm 28 years old, pretty fit/healthy. I'm currently single, and looking to buy a new house. I have a small dog (chihuahua). I like playing guitar and cooking, or just generally watching tv, playing board games/computer games. I am pretty active in the ##crawl chat as "_miek".

I have been taking a bit of a break on DCSS right now, and have been really getting into the card game netrunner. I just entered our New Zealand netrunner National's tournament and managed to get 5th place after learning to play just a few months back.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 04:10

Hi guys, my name is not Walker. I'm not an alcoholic, not currently depressed, and I don't have a stalker. Everything I'm not makes me everything I am.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 04:27

Walker is a liar!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 07:18

As far as I can see there are a lot of Finnish guys here.
One more question about Finland: How often do u see corpsepainted guys on the streets? I have never been to Finland, but I think they are everywhere!

UPD: second guy from the right is in danger of being banished to abyss when he take off his shirt!!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 07:40

triorph wrote:I have a PhD in radiology from doing programming work for a new type of CT scanner, which is my now-job..

Jackpot right there. I think radiology has one of the highest incomes vs lowest workloads on the planet? But you get to program the machines...that's awesome.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th September 2015, 07:47

ololoev wrote:One more question about Finland: How often do u see corpsepainted guys on the streets?

No, it's the other way around. We have naturally black-and-white faces. Occasionally we paint them with so-called skin colour to not scare other people.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner