Remove the Lair vault that spawns a bunch of holes.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 17:47

Remove the Lair vault that spawns a bunch of holes.

There's a lair vault that spawns a bunch of holes (you know, those one-way one-time things that transport you down a floor or two).

I'm a [removed]phobiac. I'm afraid of seeing strange layouts of holes in things that don't normally have holes in them (bonus points if the holes themselves don't conform to any geometric shape). Yes, that is a real fear.

Anyway, seeing that vault creeps me the fuck out. Involuntary shivers, among other things. If removed, the game loses an item of inconsequential value seeing as how the vault itself is pretty much only there for decoration. Past a distinct lack of terrain to hide behind and the ability to jump forward several floors, it really doesn't add much. Even then, finding terrain is rarely ever an issue in Lair and who the hell wants to jump through one-way holes into lower sections of Lair?

Edit: I realize this probably came off as a little demanding. I apologize. I appreciate all of the work you guys have put into this and it's a lot of fun (NetHack done right, so to speak). I don't appreciate the weeks of my life that have been cruelly stolen by this game's fun factor as well as it's RNG, but you guys only have a tiny bit of control over one of those things.

Edit2: A certain doofus below went ahead and googled that anyway so I removed part of the word and added an explanation instead.
Last edited by PowerOfKaishin on Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 18:06, edited 3 times in total.

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks:
duvessa

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 18:00

Re: Remove the Lair vault that spawns a bunch of holes.

PowerOfKaishin wrote:I'm a (please don't google this) trypophobiac

Dammit whyyyyyyyyyyy

Did you know that the easiest way to get someone to do something is to tell them not to or that they can't do it?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 18:05

My sincerest apologies. I went ahead and fixed it in hopes that no one else will have your problem.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 18:29

PowerOfKaishin wrote:I'm a [removed]phobiac.

lots of those around these days

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 18:47

Haha. My post was mostly in jest. I think it's a natural biological thing, like why rotten food smells bad and you shouldn't eat it, though really you can just cut off the moldy parts and eat the rest. Some people are such picky eaters, but I digress...

Anyway, what is significant is how much it affect you. Aside from forwarding therapy bills to whoever designed the vault, maybe someone could design a shaft tile that doesn't look so disturbing?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 18:50

If you play on console (ssh to the server), all the shafts look like "^". That would also solve the problem. (Yes, I have a vendetta against webtiles on rougelikes)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 19:47

IMO the tiles add so much to the game that I could never play it on console.

Dharmy wrote:Haha. My post was mostly in jest. I think it's a natural biological thing, like why rotten food smells bad and you shouldn't eat it, though really you can just cut off the moldy parts and eat the rest. Some people are such picky eaters, but I digress...

Anyway, what is significant is how much it affect you. Aside from forwarding therapy bills to whoever designed the vault, maybe someone could design a shaft tile that doesn't look so disturbing?

Honestly I don't really have a problem with single shaft tiles, just a whole bunch of them. That's why I targeted this vault specifically.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 20:17

PowerOfKaishin wrote:IMO the tiles add so much to the game that I could never play it on console.

IMO the tiles remove so much from the game that I could never play tileset. But we'll just agree to disagree.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 20:44

I can understand that graphical tilesets tend to require either big tiles (thus you can see less of the map) or tend to make it hard to see the details (thus hard to discriminate between different things)... but I don't think I've ever heard someone claim they actually remove from the game. Can you elaborate?

IMO the best nethack tileset was this one (the link to the website is here); it is clearly derived from the textual glyphs so as to retain their advantages (both in ease of distinguishing tiles and the fact that some nethack features require you to actually know what monsters have what glyph), but used graphics in a way that greatly enhanced those advantages.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 20:51

Can't you just remove the vault from your local version? There probably exists some way to do this, though I've not tried it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 21:06

FWIW everyone most of the images you see googling trypophobia are just mouths of lampreys or the fruits of lotuses photoshopped onto arms and faces and shit.
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 21:13

Gross.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 21:59

You could also modify your local tiles graphics to make the hole not quite so hole-like :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd September 2015, 22:49

If you do not learn to master your fear, your fear will become your master
Spoiler: show
Psst, hey kid... you like roguelikes?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd September 2015, 00:29

PowerOfKaishin wrote:I'm afraid of seeing strange layouts of holes in things that don't normally have holes in them (bonus points if the holes themselves don't conform to any geometric shape).

I hope you don't mind my joking but would the problem go away if you could convince yourself that Lair floors normally have holes? Maybe the devs should increase the number of shafts instead :) (Maybe also align them as geometric shapes.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd September 2015, 01:21

guys dont google "sexy elf"

anyway i made the vault in question and it's a fuckin stupid vault so i would love for it to be removed, thanks devs

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd September 2015, 13:54

This is what I found when searching for sexy elf trypophobia pictures:

http://pre13.deviantart.net/e58b/th/pre/i/2013/143/b/f/arachnophobia_and_trypophobia__by_onii_jurai-d66bs5q.jpg

You might not want to click it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 3rd September 2015, 15:15

Hurkyl wrote:I can understand that graphical tilesets tend to require either big tiles (thus you can see less of the map) or tend to make it hard to see the details (thus hard to discriminate between different things)... but I don't think I've ever heard someone claim they actually remove from the game. Can you elaborate?

IMO the best nethack tileset was this one (the link to the website is here); it is clearly derived from the textual glyphs so as to retain their advantages (both in ease of distinguishing tiles and the fact that some nethack features require you to actually know what monsters have what glyph), but used graphics in a way that greatly enhanced those advantages.

Playing rougelikes using console displays symbolic representations of the objects in the game. Hence you have/get to visualize yourself what the dungeon, objects, monsters etc look like. If you use tilesets, it replaces the symbols with pictures, and what you see is restricted to what the tileset artist draws. In console, "circular" vaults feel circular. In tileset, they feel more pixelated.

It's one of the reasons I prefer books to movies. I prefer imagination and symbolic representation to being shown what things "look like." When I read, the things that are "important" are sharper in focus and the things that are "unimportant" fade into more vague forms. But if you're shown images instead of symbols, you lose this feel. That quality is what tilesets remove from rougelikes.

I'll admit, that nethack tileset is a good compromise of the two, but I still prefer the original ASCII.

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks: 2
megawidget, Rast

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th September 2015, 09:24

New monster proposal: Giant hole-maggot. If a player detects a hole, the hole has a chance to spawn a giant maggot, which will pop in and out randomly and block use of the hole as an escape mechanism from this mortal coil. The giant maggots have no stats and serve no other purpose than to trigger people with Trypophobia.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner