Slime Pits

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 22:41

Slime Pits

I'd like to propose spicing up Slime by changing how monsters spawn. Rather than placing slimes on the level, I believe it would be flavorful and tactically interesting if slimes budded out of the walls. Wall color can be used to indicate if a slime is going to bud. With some chance, the wall itself will be replaced with an empty dungeon floor. Wandering slimes could merge into walls, possibly creating new slimy walls in the process.

I don't foresee a radical change in difficulty -- the walls of slime are already horrifying!

Praise be to Jiyva.

(Yeast reproduce by a budding process called shmooing.)
Last edited by brendan on Friday, 15th July 2011, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 2
dolphin, Timbermaw

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 13th July 2011, 23:29

Re: Shmooing in Slime Pits

Good Idea, It could work well, but would they come out unaware of your presence? also, I suppose a cap would need to be placed on how many would come out, and I can't see how many you'd see 'bud' unless they came from your immediate area, and that might become difficult balance wise.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2011, 04:39

On the death of the Royal Jelly, either the schmoo rate increases or all walls on all levels schmoo.

"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 15th July 2011, 01:54

How would this work in regards to digging or shatter or LRD? What do you see occurring when a 'pre-budded' wall is destroyed?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th July 2011, 18:24

naivE wrote:How would this work in regards to digging or shatter or LRD? What do you see occurring when a 'pre-budded' wall is destroyed?

Cancelling the spawn seems like the most straight forward approach. Otherwise it could force the spawn to occur immediately, dumping an injured slime into the dungeon. I believe the devteam's position is "fix the monsters we have before adding new ones", but those concerns aside, I can imagine a novel slime for shmooing/wall busting -- proto-slimes that aggregate Slime creature style whereupon they become a proper slime.

dpeg has suggested flagging shmoo slimes as summoned. I believe that this is unnecessarily cruel.

Return to Game Design Discussion