What do I do when I don't have what I need to continue?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:18

What do I do when I don't have what I need to continue?

My char that I had this problem with is long dead at this point, so let's assume a hypothetical situation that probably comes up really often.

Completed all of the lair and orcs, leaving my options as Swamps/Shoals, Snakes/Spider's, Slime, Elf, and of course, Depths.

But what if my character doesn't have rPois yet for Swamps and Snakes/Spider's, rCorr and rMut for Slimes, and isn't strong enough for Shoals, Elf or Depths? What do I do then?

P.S. Is it weird that I find Shoals more deadly than Slime and even Elf at times?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:24

Re: What do I do when I don't have what I need to continue?

Play snake/spider very carefully, get the rune, level up in vaults.

rPois is helpful but not essential, you can make up for it by playing more slowly, luring more, etc.
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
PowerOfKaishin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:26

xentronium wrote:Play snake/spider very carefully, get the rune, level up in vaults.

rPois is helpful but not essential, you can make up for it by playing more slowly, luring more, etc.

Level up in vaults? What kind of monster are you!? Last time I went into vaults I got trashed. Is that really a good place to grind? (As much as crawl let's you grind, anyway)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:32

If you can get the rune in snake, you can survive in the vaults, you just need to stick near the staircases and lure things, and bail at the first sign of trouble, you should be ok. Probably don't do vaults 5 until you feel much more powerful though. (And if you haven't done it before solicit advice before you go)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:34

(Of course that being said I always do both lair branches before entering vaults myself, but that is primarily out of a desire not to backtrack so much)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:38

It would be good if you provided a character dump, so advice would be more concrete.

It is possible to do Spider/Snake without rPois. Swamp is also possible without rPois, with the added advantage that you can sometimes skin a swamp dragon corpse to get rPois armour. I find that the first two levels of Elf can also sometimes help in finding missing resistances. There are no easy places at that point, you have to choose the least of all evils.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
PowerOfKaishin

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 17:40

A dump would help here, because any character could get different advice...

I often have the same question : where to go now, I feel like I'm underpowered for every place left ?!

Lair branches are often the answer, but I've had some specific characters who cleared Elf (1-2 or all) even before getting a single rune... Of course, that's not the general advice ;)

Edit : ninja'd
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 18:00

mopl wrote:A dump would help here, because any character could get different advice...

I often have the same question : where to go now, I feel like I'm underpowered for every place left ?!

Lair branches are often the answer, but I've had some specific characters who cleared Elf (1-2 or all) even before getting a single rune... Of course, that's not the general advice ;)

Edit : ninja'd

I play a Spriggan Enchanter primarily (makes the early game soooo much easier). If I have OoD for some odd reason (like from Vehy) that's typically what I'll do. Orcs mines is always the branch I clear out first too, because it's so much easier than Lair. I don't have the dump on me unfortunately.

Also, guys, does the amount of skill exp you get decrease as your actual experience level rises? It seems like killing a worm doesn't even raise a 0.0 skill a sliver if I'm at level 10 but gets it quite a ways to 1.0 at level 1.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 18:03

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Also, guys, does the amount of skill exp you get decrease as your actual experience level rises? It seems like killing a worm doesn't even raise a 0.0 skill a sliver if I'm at level 10 but gets it quite a ways to 1.0 at level 1.

Yes.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 19:08

As a SpEn, it's only after Lair branches (or in Snake if you get it) that game becomes a little harder... What troubles are you experiencing ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 19:50

Crawl is not like NetHack or Angband where there are highly valuable resistances. Instead the ascension kit basically comes down to "have a way to kill or avoid monsters". Genuinely dangerous resistible damage is rare past the early game (when you don't have resistances anyway). Fireball comes the closest, but except for orbs of fire in zot (which don't really matter too much because it's zot, you can use potions of resistance and avoid them) you can kill fireball monsters fine without rF.
rPois in particular is not even very useful in spider or swamp because there is almost no actual direct poison damage in those branches; venom bolt and poison arrow are the only significant sources of poison damage. The poison status can simply be cured or waited out, it will do very little damage during actual combat. So rPois is noticeable on snake:5 because of greater naga/naga mage spells, but still not anywhere near necessary, and in spider and swamp it is merely convenient and doesn't actually increase survivability much at all.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Lasty, nago, Sar

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 21:00

Siegurt wrote:
PowerOfKaishin wrote:Also, guys, does the amount of skill exp you get decrease as your actual experience level rises? It seems like killing a worm doesn't even raise a 0.0 skill a sliver if I'm at level 10 but gets it quite a ways to 1.0 at level 1.

Yes.

No kidding. Is there anyway to abuse that?

mopl wrote:As a SpEn, it's only after Lair branches (or in Snake if you get it) that game becomes a little harder... What troubles are you experiencing ?

Lair branches aren't too bad if I can invis my way through them, but this is generally risky and I avoid doing it outside of like... Shoals, because it's deadlier to turtle that branch than it is to speedrun, generally. It was mostly just "hey, I don't think I'm ready yet but there's no way to get any more ready."

duvessa wrote:Crawl is not like NetHack or Angband where there are highly valuable resistances. Instead the ascension kit basically comes down to "have a way to kill or avoid monsters". Genuinely dangerous resistible damage is rare past the early game (when you don't have resistances anyway). Fireball comes the closest, but except for orbs of fire in zot (which don't really matter too much because it's zot, you can use potions of resistance and avoid them) you can kill fireball monsters fine without rF.
rPois in particular is not even very useful in spider or swamp because there is almost no actual direct poison damage in those branches; venom bolt and poison arrow are the only significant sources of poison damage. The poison status can simply be cured or waited out, it will do very little damage during actual combat. So rPois is noticeable on snake:5 because of greater naga/naga mage spells, but still not anywhere near necessary, and in spider and swamp it is merely convenient and doesn't actually increase survivability much at all.

Spriggans don't exactly have an amazing pool of HP. I find poison damage always irritating. But even then, are you trying to tell me that anything with "fire" in it's name is going to be rare? >_>
Last edited by PowerOfKaishin on Saturday, 1st August 2015, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 21:04

PowerOfKaishin wrote:No kidding. Is there anyway to abuse that?

No.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 21:20

PowerOfKaishin wrote:No kidding. Is there anyway to abuse that?

It depends on what you want. There is wizard mode in the game, it allows to set any skill to any level.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 21:45

I meant from a gameplay perspective. No I don't plan on cheating.

Um... can anyone tell me how Ashenzari's bonuses work? As in, how is the bonus calculated? The formula on the wiki seems to be wrong. Skill at 0 receive a bonus, but that bonus carries a penalty until the skill hits I dunno... 4.0? In addition, the standard calculation doesn't seem to be right. Or maybe it just doesn't explain everything.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Ashenzari

"The exact formula [for the stat bonus] is: min(piety_rank, bondage_level + 2) * factor - skill_level / 4"

How is bondage_level calculated?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 22:14

That formula is outdated, see this commit for the numbers (but not the bondage levels): http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=co ... 0db000d6d7

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks:
PowerOfKaishin

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:44

Oh, thanks, that helps a bunch.

Another question. I'm in the swamp and I found a bunch of dudes guarding a structure with the same texture as a pyramid. Obviously it's a vault of course. This level had Norris and Nikola right next to it, as well Asterion and Louise elsewhere on the level (both sleeping, so that may have just been a coincidence). I also saw a tentacled horror (I think that's what it was). That thing that hits really hard in melee and is really resilient. I don't think it was a shapeshifter since it hasn't changed once in the 100 turns it was in view.

Any ideas what it might be?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:52

Code:
tentacled monstrosity (X) | Spd: 10 | HD: 23 | HP: 103-146 | AC/EV: 5/5 | Dam: 22, 17, 13, 9(constrict) | demonic, doors, amphibious, see invisible | Res: magic(160), fire, cold, elec, poison, drown,
+rot, neg+++, torm | Vul: holy++ | XP: 2973 | Sz: Giant | Int: human.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st August 2015, 23:59

duvessa wrote:
  Code:
tentacled monstrosity (X) | Spd: 10 | HD: 23 | HP: 103-146 | AC/EV: 5/5 | Dam: 22, 17, 13, 9(constrict) | demonic, doors, amphibious, see invisible | Res: magic(160), fire, cold, elec, poison, drown,
+rot, neg+++, torm | Vul: holy++ | XP: 2973 | Sz: Giant | Int: human.

Yes, that. This wasn't on the rune floor, btw. It was Swamp:4.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 01:39

Ended up dying in Vault. For some odd reason the Mark was gone but all the enemies still knew where I was.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 02:22

They were still moving to where you last were most likely and you didn't leave the area?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 08:57

ajon wrote:They were still moving to where you last were most likely and you didn't leave the area?

I'm pretty sure I got the fuck out of there. But whatev, guess it was just bad luck the Wraith and Tengu somehow kept my location.

I have a question. If Statue Form increases all action time by 50%, why does my Spriggan receive a 150% increase in move delay instead of a 50%? I was promised 50%. None of this 1.5 aut bullshit please. 150% movement delay on a Spriggan means movement costs .9 aut.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 09:15

PowerOfKaishin wrote:
ajon wrote:They were still moving to where you last were most likely and you didn't leave the area?

I'm pretty sure I got the fuck out of there. But whatev, guess it was just bad luck the Wraith and Tengu somehow kept my location.

I have a question. If Statue Form increases all action time by 50%, why does my Spriggan receive a 150% increase in move delay instead of a 50%? I was promised 50%. None of this 1.5 aut bullshit please. 150% movement delay on a Spriggan means movement costs .9 aut.

Dunno where you read that. Learndb doesn't agree -- "Makes the base cost of an action 15 instead of 10, like the slow spell."

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 16:48

savageorange wrote:
PowerOfKaishin wrote:

Dunno where you read that. Learndb doesn't agree -- "Makes the base cost of an action 15 instead of 10, like the slow spell."

Read it on the wiki:
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Statue_Form

Still, that doesn't explain why a Spriggan takes 1.5 to move. If it's the base cost and not the modified cost, they should take 1.1 to move, since they have a .4 reduction. I call Cheinanigans.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 18:02

I did file a bug for that once. Turns out its intended behaviour, just like all the other form-set speeds, (eg. spider form escape as Chei-ianist) and they might change it but not soon. Yeah, statue form is useless for Sp.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 21:01

duvessa wrote:rPois in particular is not even very useful in spider or swamp because there is almost no actual direct poison damage in those branches; venom bolt and poison arrow are the only significant sources of poison damage. The poison status can simply be cured or waited out, it will do very little damage during actual combat.

ehh... breath attacks from swamp dragons and drakes leave you surrounded by poisonous clouds pretty consistently, and this can really take a toll on your cure stockpile especially if the RNG has been stingy. If you are already in a fight and you suddenly find yourself 3+ squares from !poisonous territory, and 3/4's of your hp is going to turn yellow by the time you are out of the cloud (and still in a fight) it can start to get pretty ugly pretty fast. Ive dont swamp plenty of times without rPois, but it certainly is easier and much safer to have it, and I wouldn't tell a new player to just don't worry about it there. Of course, as mentioned one can always skin a swamp dragon and enchant the hide, but that's not always an option for every player.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 14:06

duvessa wrote:So rPois is noticeable on snake:5 because of greater naga/naga mage spells, but still not anywhere near necessary, and in spider and swamp it is merely convenient and doesn't actually increase survivability much at all.

I actually find it increases my survivability most in swamp, because it makes me immune to swamp drakes. Mephitic really turns fights.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Barkeep

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 14:11

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Yes, that. This wasn't on the rune floor, btw. It was Swamp:4.

Unless you're playing an old version, the rune is on Swamp:4.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 15:51

I wouldn't call the latest released version old, though.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Barkeep

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 16:36

Time is weird.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, tedric

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 05:06

Stealth is weird too. It's fucking useless until you hit 10 stealth. And that's as a spriggan in robes. How the hell am I supposed to play an enchanter if everything wakes up every time I get in range? That is absolutely ridiculous. Even then, it's not enough. I just died with 5+s of stealth because I went to stab a hippogryph to get away from a centaur that was chasing me and it woke up RIGHT when I got in range. I realize there's a centaur chasing me but as a spriggan with 10 stealth I feel I should be able to do a simple job like that without getting murdered. Stealth needs to be good from the get go. I shouldn't have to invest a full 14 points to get 7+s (yes, that's how much it takes) in order to actually sneak up on things reliably. Ridiculous.

To add injury to more injury, if something wakes up when you get in stabbing range, it gets a free attack. That's hogwash.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 05:17

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Stealth is weird too. It's fucking useless until you hit 10 stealth. And that's as a spriggan in robes. How the hell am I supposed to play an enchanter if everything wakes up every time I get in range? That is absolutely ridiculous. Even then, it's not enough. I just died with 5+s of stealth because I went to stab a hippogryph to get away from a centaur that was chasing me and it woke up RIGHT when I got in range. I realize there's a centaur chasing me but as a spriggan with 10 stealth I feel I should be able to do a simple job like that without getting murdered. Stealth needs to be good from the get go. I shouldn't have to invest a full 14 points to get 7+s (yes, that's how much it takes) in order to actually sneak up on things reliably. Ridiculous.

To add injury to more injury, if something wakes up when you get in stabbing range, it gets a free attack. That's hogwash.

Um, you're doing it wrong, you cast EH when you are already adjacent to a creature that has woken up, you use confusion when they are at range.

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
Hurkyl, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 05:46

A few levels of stealth make a ton of difference when you're trying to run away from something (keep it out of LOS long enough and it will forget about you, the higher your stealth the more likely that is) or when you're trying to draw one enemy away from a pack without the others following, so you can kill it 1-on-1. It also makes it much more likely that sleeping foos will not wake up the moment you step into LOS, so you have the opportunity to make smarter choices about who and when and how to engage (setting Exclusion Zones with xe is especially helpful for that). Also be aware that tougher monsters are harder to sneak up on, so your stealth skill needs to scale along with the game's increasing difficulty.

For stabbing, make sure you're approaching the foo along the path of least turns-in-its-LOS. Meaning don't try to approach a sleeping foo the moment it appears at the edge of LOS, but take a step back and explore around it to find walls/trees/obstacles that can mask your approach. Then do as Siegurt says.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 14:20

Also, stealth and stabbing by themselves are not a viable strategy. No matter what, you'll never be able to sneak up on everything.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 15:09

PowerOfKaishin wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

Yes.

No kidding. Is there anyway to abuse that?

Yes, drink potions of experience at the moment you find them.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 22:58

It's not based on your experience level, but on total gained experience. If it were based on experience level it would give an enormous disadvantage to humans and advantage to demigods.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 03:33

don't die.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 08:54

^ Tell me more.

So uh, I'm heading down to Gehennom gonna have myself a time. Friendly faces everywhere; humble folks without temptation. Does anyone want to inform me how to jack the rune from Geh:7 without fighting Asmodeus?

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16.1 (tiles) character file.

Kaguya the Eclecticist (Spriggan Enchanter)       Turns: 145756, Time: 09:12:46

HP:   137/137 (139) AC: 28    Str: 10      XL:     26   Next: 15%
MP:   31/47         EV: 31    Int: 29 (31) God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold: 7279          SH:  6    Dex: 26 (27) Spells: 15 memorised, 0 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     D - +8 falchion {slice, rPois MR- Int+5} (curse)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  +     O - +1 fire dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   + + +     SustAb   .     P - -4 buckler of Khuntyrph {rElec rF+} (curse)
rPois  8         Gourm    +     t - +2 hat of Untold Secrets {Str+4} (curse)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     X - +2 cloak {+Inv} (curse)
rCorr  .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     +++++                    Q - amulet of Olen {Gourm MR++} (curse)
Stlth  +++++++...               K - +2 ring of strength (curse)
                                L - ring of Beiff {+Fly rN+ MR- Dex+6} (curse)

@: lich-form, very slightly contaminated, delayed fireball, very quick, almost
entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: unfitting armour, antennae 1, rugged brown scales 1, see invisible, agile 1,
clarity, deterioration 1, herbivore 3, speed 3, shaggy fur 1, slow metabolism 2
a: End Transformation, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion, Release
Delayed Fireball, Evoke Invisibility, Evoke Flight
}: 6/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, abyssal

You are in the Vestibule of Hell.
You worship Ashenzari.
Ashenzari is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You are a lich.

You have visited 13 branches of the dungeon, and seen 63 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.
You have also visited: Wizlab.

You have collected 9284 gold pieces.
You have spent 2005 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 D - the cursed +8 falchion of Indomitability (weapon) {slice, rPois MR- Int+5}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It affects your intelligence (+5).
   It protects you from poison.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
Armour
 f - a +0 buckler of protection
 t - the cursed +2 hat of Untold Secrets (worn) {Str+4}
   (You acquired it on level 11 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your strength (+4).
 O - a cursed +1 fire dragon armour (worn)
 P - the cursed -4 buckler of Khuntyrph (worn) {rElec rF+}
   (You acquired it on level 5 of the Swamp)   

It protects you from fire.
   It insulates you from electricity.
 X - a cursed +2 cloak of invisibility (worn)
Jewellery
 i - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 F - an uncursed amulet of resist corrosion
 K - a cursed +2 ring of strength (right hand)
 L - the cursed ring of Beiff (left hand) {+Fly rN+ MR- Dex+6}
   (You took it off a skeletal warrior on level 3 of the Crypt)   

[ring of positive energy]

It affects your dexterity (+6).
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It lets you fly.
 Q - the cursed amulet of Olen (around neck) {Gourm MR++}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Tomb of the Ancients)   

[amulet of the gourmand]

It allows you to eat raw meat even when not hungry.
Magical devices
 a - a wand of teleportation (6)
 A - a wand of teleportation (7)
 B - a wand of lightning (5)
Scrolls
 b - a scroll of vulnerability
 g - 3 scrolls of silence
 p - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 q - 16 scrolls of identify
 s - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 y - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 z - 2 scrolls of summoning
 C - 7 scrolls of immolation
 G - 5 scrolls of fear
 I - 8 scrolls of recharging
 W - 3 scrolls of blinking
Potions
 d - a potion of cure mutation
 e - 2 potions of resistance
 h - 5 potions of restore abilities
 m - 6 potions of magic
 r - 5 potions of brilliance
 u - 8 potions of invisibility
 v - 9 potions of agility
 w - 6 potions of might
 x - 6 potions of curing
 E - 2 potions of cancellation
 H - 5 potions of berserk rage
 N - 8 potions of flight
 Z - 2 potions of haste
Miscellaneous
 j - the horn of Geryon
Comestibles
 J - 6 bread rations

Skills:
 - Level 12.5 Fighting
   Level 5.9(10.1) Short Blades
 - Level 10.0(14.5) Long Blades
 - Level 12.0(16.1) Armour
 - Level 16.0(19.9) Dodging
 - Level 17.0 Stealth
 - Level 6.0(9.1) Shields
 - Level 19.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 14.2(18.3) Conjurations
 - Level 10.7(14.9) Hexes
 - Level 7.1(11.6) Charms
 - Level 18.3(22.0) Necromancy
 - Level 6.1(10.6) Translocations
 * Level 17.2(21.0) Transmutations
 - Level 6.0(10.5) Fire Magic
 - Level 6.4(10.9) Ice Magic
 - Level 6.0(10.5) Air Magic
   Level 7.0(11.5) Earth Magic
 - Level 6.0(10.5) Evocations

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           ########..   0%          2    N/A
b - Dispel Undead         Necr           ########     1%          5    N/A
c - Confuse               Hex            #######.     1%          3    N/A
d - Necromutation         Trmt/Necr      ########..   10%         8    N/A
e - Enslavement           Hex            #######.     1%          4    N/A
f - Fireball              Conj/Fire      #######...   1%          5    N/A
g - Death's Door          Chrm/Necr      ########..   47%         8    N/A
h - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    N/A
i - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ######       1%          2    N/A
j - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    N/A
k - Orb of Destruction    Conj           #######...   3%          7    N/A
l - Bolt of Draining      Conj/Necr      ########..   1%          5    N/A
m - Delayed Fireball      Conj/Fire      N/A          17%         7    N/A
n - Freezing Cloud        Conj/Ice/Air   #######...   4%          6    N/A
o - Flight                Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          3    N/A

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 09:16

Brilliance, Haste, Death's Door, Apport, Tele out and hope you don't land somewhere awful! If Brilliance isn't enough to get DD to safe miscast % get some more XP? You'll need to drop out of lich form for the first 3 steps.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 09:23

+8 falchion? Why? Can't stab with it, can't fight with it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 09:25

The traditional way to steal hell runes in -ctele environment is shatter, which you dont have. First is to guess location of the rune, magic mapping helps here. When you are there its really useful to not be tormented at the same time as having asmodeus in sight,so dispose of pit fiends (nets are incredibly awesome for this).And you nearly have Deaths door castable, so pop brilliance, haste,walk up to LOS of rune, apport it, teleport out. Pop DDoor if necessary. Pop Ddoor once in safe environment so you see how long it lasts. Use ?fog as necessary.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 19:28

Falchion gave rPois (which wasn't important here but it was the sole source), +5 int, and had a base damage of 16 while still allowing me to use a shield that gave rElec and +rF.

Anyway, I ended up dying from a death's door miscast. I was trying to get away and didn't think to quaff one of those potions. I never know when to use those things.

There's way too many enemies in hell. How the heck are you supposed to deal with them all? I cast ice cloud and that got rid of some. Maybe that's it, but I can't stick around waiting for my MP to come back after nuking everything.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th August 2015, 19:41

PowerOfKaishin wrote:Falchion gave rPois (which wasn't important here but it was the sole source), +5 int, and had a base damage of 16 while still allowing me to use a shield that gave rElec and +rF.

Anyway, I ended up dying from a death's door miscast. I was trying to get away and didn't think to quaff one of those potions. I never know when to use those things.

There's way too many enemies in hell. How the heck are you supposed to deal with them all? I cast ice cloud and that got rid of some. Maybe that's it, but I can't stick around waiting for my MP to come back after nuking everything.

Technically +8 enchantment is not base damage, enchantments work like slaying, they give an after the fact damage bonus. Base damage (that is to say the damage that is actually part of the base weapon type) is increased (percentage wise) by stats and skills, and therfore becomes the most significant source of damage for weapons most of the time in the latter part of the game.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice