[PROTIPS] Secret Tricks

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2011, 23:17

Re: [PROTIPS] Secret Tricks

Speaking of levitation, another way to break mesmerization is to levitate and fly out to the mermaid and turn her into sushi. That trick saved me once.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
XuaXua

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 00:06

Grimm wrote:Speaking of levitation, another way to break mesmerization is to levitate and fly out to the mermaid and turn her into sushi. That trick saved me once.

FR: Instead of chunks, aquatic creatures are instead cut into sushi. It is functionally identical unless your character has the Seafood Allergy mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 00:51

Gives double nutrition to octopodes and merfolk.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 08:53

The win/win combo: inner flame + enslavement.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th June 2011, 10:17

Well, this is that Camikaze-Cuddle Attack which mageykun was afraid of.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 1st July 2011, 18:07

Play online, if you can. If you get any spectators, you can try asking them for advice if you get in a bad place.

For this message the author Happy Corner has received thanks: 4
Darios, ketsa, rigrig, XuaXua

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st July 2011, 18:58

Sometimes it is helpful to have a spectator or two with you in advance. Ask somebody whom you know at least for a bit to spectate your game, in the IRC channel or in somebody else's game (if you are sure the gameplayer and the spectator will not mind it).

By the way, what is your alias there?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2011, 20:06

If you are at mimic depth and you find a portal or a branch entry staircase, immediately look at your game notes (? : ). If the portal/entrance hasn't just been notated, you've got yourself a mimic.

(Who finds two entrances to the Hive on the same level?)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2011, 20:45

Stormfox wrote:If you are at mimic depth and you find a portal or a branch entry staircase, immediately look at your game notes (? : ). If the portal/entrance hasn't just been notated, you've got yourself a mimic.

I just throw a dart at every store/portal/artefact I find.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 7th July 2011, 13:10

XuaXua wrote:
Stormfox wrote:If you are at mimic depth and you find a portal or a branch entry staircase, immediately look at your game notes (? : ). If the portal/entrance hasn't just been notated, you've got yourself a mimic.

I just throw a dart at every store/portal/artefact I find.

I do that too to make sure, but checking your notes doesn't expend a turn.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 09:59

Maybe this is a well-known fact, but Alistair's Intoxication is good. Like, really really good. To the point of seeming kind of overpowered to me. Uniques that would otherwise be quite intimidating, like Agnes, Norris, and Saint Roka, become almost trivial in the face of it. It also affects the entirety of Elven Halls, which means you can do it much earlier than normal, and is a funny way to take out vault guards. (Also, you only need clarity to cast it safely, not clarity+rpois. For some reason I only just realised this after having used it on several different characters.)

For this message the author DivineHammer has received thanks: 2
typhen, XuaXua

Barkeep

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 12:24

Don't just grab and wield Sonja's glowing dagger thinking "Sweet: Venom!" Because: Distortion.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 3
MyOtheHedgeFox, snmjk20, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 14:24

njvack wrote:Don't just grab and wield Sonja's glowing dagger thinking "Sweet: Venom!" Because: Distortion.

The more appropriate thread for that tip is this one.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 14:24

DivineHammer wrote:Maybe this is a well-known fact, but Alistair's Intoxication is good. Like, really really good. To the point of seeming kind of overpowered to me. Uniques that would otherwise be quite intimidating, like Agnes, Norris, and Saint Roka, become almost trivial in the face of it. It also affects the entirety of Elven Halls, which means you can do it much earlier than normal, and is a funny way to take out vault guards. (Also, you only need clarity to cast it safely, not clarity+rpois. For some reason I only just realised this after having used it on several different characters.)

Doesn't it permanently damage your own intelligence?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 14:30

XuaXua wrote:
DivineHammer wrote:Maybe this is a well-known fact, but Alistair's Intoxication is good. Like, really really good. To the point of seeming kind of overpowered to me. Uniques that would otherwise be quite intimidating, like Agnes, Norris, and Saint Roka, become almost trivial in the face of it. It also affects the entirety of Elven Halls, which means you can do it much earlier than normal, and is a funny way to take out vault guards. (Also, you only need clarity to cast it safely, not clarity+rpois. For some reason I only just realised this after having used it on several different characters.)

Doesn't it permanently damage your own intelligence?

Not permanently, it's just normal stat drain.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 15:55

But the duration of the confusion from Alistair's is very short, and I assume it isn't affected by spell power because the power is listed as "N/A" on the stat screen. If you're used to getting three or four stabs from casting Mephitic Cloud or Evaporation, not being able to walk up to the enemy before it recovers requires a big change in strategy. If you can cast it along with a cloud, you're golden.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 18:39

It's exceedingly useful to shut down masses of humanoid ranged attackers, like in Elf and most baileys. But yes, the duration is too short to use it as a substitute for Mephitic/Confuse/Evaporate and the like.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 19:33

You can easily chain-cast it though. Yeah, you have to deal with single interstitial turns where the enemy can act, but that's far better than having to deal with what could be an arbitrarily large number of turns waiting for confuse, or mephitic, or hibernation to get past the enemy's MR. I use it all the time against single monsters (particularly uniques, but also, say, frost giants).

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 23:00

non-large Earth elementalists take note - if you find large rocks, even though you can't use them effectively, you can throw them via F one square or against a wall and they will eventually shatter into a bunch of stones (for sandblast)

For this message the author Brain has received thanks:
XuaXua

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 23:05

Brain wrote:non-large Earth elementalists take note - if you find large rocks, even though you can't use them effectively, you can throw them via F one square or against a wall and they will eventually shatter into a bunch of stones (for sandblast)

"eventually" being a 1 in 25 chance. Hope you've got some macros ready.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 23:40

Zuboki wrote:
Brain wrote:non-large Earth elementalists take note - if you find large rocks, even though you can't use them effectively, you can throw them via F one square or against a wall and they will eventually shatter into a bunch of stones (for sandblast)

"eventually" being a 1 in 25 chance. Hope you've got some macros ready.

Yep, I macro it.

Hey about macro protips for saving lots of keystrokes or time?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 9th July 2011, 01:24

Can't you use large rocks for MEGA SANDBLAST?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th July 2011, 05:00

mrbobbyg wrote:Can't you use large rocks for MEGA SANDBLAST?

Only if you can wield them; many species cannot (Deep Dwarves, the best race for EE, for example, is too small).

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 17:35

This one is in the wiki, but not obvious to spot:
Ignite poison works on mephitic clouds too. :-)
Confusing your enemies then watching them stagger into flaming clouds is amusing. :twisted:
I think it also works on poisonous corpses, to make little firey pillars...

For this message the author dassem has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th August 2011, 20:58

Jeremiah gets credit for this one where he posted it here.

If you are using necromancy, there are occasions when you want to carry corpses around, and in these cases your carrying capacity might matter.

(eg you want to carry that hydra corpse to the next level so you can animate it as a zombie there.)

Summary: Drag a valuable corpse downstairs from an upper level to animate it on a new level as a new partner!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 13th August 2011, 01:19

XuaXua wrote:Jeremiah gets credit for this one where he posted it here.
If you are using necromancy, there are occasions when you want to carry corpses around, and in these cases your carrying capacity might matter.
(eg you want to carry that hydra corpse to the next level so you can animate it as a zombie there.)

Summary: Drag a valuable corpse downstairs from an upper level to animate it on a new level as a new partner!

Lol! I was just about to post almost exactly the same tip! :mrgreen:
I got both Mara and Mennas in the swamp, while playing an ice/poison based DS mage... Luckily on different levels at least.
I think I got Mara to severely wounded twice, but just couldn't finish him. Similarly Mennas chased me off with a nasty blessed scimitar, and was just itching to provide me with YASD. :evil:
So I just dodged them and returned to the main dungeon. Later, I killed Xtahua and thought, "hmmm"... One ring of str and a couple of hydras later, and no more Mara. :-)
Same for Mennas, but with cyclopses lugged from the shoals. :lol:

Another related tip is that you can spam summon shadow creatures while just out of sight, wait until you get a hydra or dragon (instead of bats!), then move in for the kill.

For this message the author dassem has received thanks: 3
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya, XuaXua

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 02:42

njvack wrote:Don't just grab and wield Sonja's glowing dagger thinking "Sweet: Venom!" Because: Distortion.

Made that mistake before. The next time I saw her, I casted Mephitic Cloud and laughed my ass of when she took it off and killed herself.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 09:53

dassem wrote:I think I got Mara to severely wounded twice, but just couldn't finish him. Similarly Mennas chased me off with a nasty blessed scimitar, and was just itching to provide me with YASD. :evil:
So I just dodged them and returned to the main dungeon. Later, I killed Xtahua and thought, "hmmm"... One ring of str and a couple of hydras later, and no more Mara. :-)

A story there: I had an ice caster who had real trouble with Mennas (they usually do). Right after escaping from him, I ran into a storm dragon. Hmmm.

* Memorize simulacrum
* Butcher dragon corpse
* Walk up to Mennas with seven storm dragon simulacra. Bye bye!

Simulacrum really shines with corpses producing many chunks, like Hydras, Giants or Dragons. The transport is easier, too.
Crazy Yiuf mutters: "Good: bonuses. Bad: Boni. Ugly: Bonii!"

For this message the author vintermann has received thanks: 4
dassem, MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya, XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 11:17

vintermann wrote:A story there: I had an ice caster who had real trouble with Mennas (they usually do). Right after escaping from him, I ran into a storm dragon. Hmmm.

* Memorize simulacrum
* Butcher dragon corpse
* Walk up to Mennas with seven storm dragon simulacra. Bye bye!

Simulacrum really shines with corpses producing many chunks, like Hydras, Giants or Dragons. The transport is easier, too.

Awesome! 7 dragons is about the most efficient use of MP I've ever seen. :-)
I wish I'd tried getting that spell instead of animate dead...

Simulcra:
How long do they last?
Can they use stairs?

I'd guess animate skeleton is an efficient way to make chunks too...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 15:12

They last quite a long time - long enough to explore quite a bit or to rest up and heal once or twice (as long as summon dragon/ice beast/horrible things, the summoning spells with the longest durations, but additionally they can't be abjured). They can't use stairs, though.

For extra unnecessary awesomeness, kill a dragon with death channel active, cast animate skeleton on its corpse, then simulacrum on the chunks.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 4
dassem, graffen69, rebthor, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 15:20

vintermann wrote:Simulacrum really shines with corpses producing many chunks, like Hydras, Giants or Dragons. The transport is easier, too.

If your food reform materialises, there'll fewer chunks all of a sudden. (Yes, we need to look at all the chunk-using spells then.)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 15:20

Code:
W _ spectral dragon
ZZZZ  4 dragon simulacra
Z _ dragon skeleton

That's fun :D

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 15:24

Monsters should be able to appeal to an abuse panel if they feel those heros are overdoing it. Killing is completely okay but what Marvin is doing to themm... :)

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 15:51

Waste not, want not...

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 14:11

Zombie dancing: If you cast conjure flame beside you, and you step diagonally "behind it" the zombie will conveniently step into the flame. Works on skeletons, most undead, and generallly brainless beings that like to step into fires.

For this message the author FailBot has received thanks:
XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 12th September 2011, 13:36

FailBot wrote:Zombie dancing: If you cast conjure flame beside you, and you step diagonally "behind it" the zombie will conveniently step into the flame. Works on skeletons, most undead, and generallly brainless beings that like to step into fires.

Also works distressingly well on your own mindless undead slaves.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 03:06

Haste, rC+++, and Ozo's Refrigeration make for the easiest Vaults:8 welcoming committee ever. Never have I killed so many vault guards so fast.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 3
Blade, hhkb, XuaXua

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 03:20

Also! Just because you can kill all the vault guards in a few moments does NOT mean the rest of the level isn't friggin' dangerous.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 03:31

Yeah, the vault guards are like doormen. They may be there to keep low-level punks out, but the things behind them are the real high rollers of the Vault.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 08:16

Stormfox wrote:
FailBot wrote:Zombie dancing: If you cast conjure flame beside you, and you step diagonally "behind it" the zombie will conveniently step into the flame. Works on skeletons, most undead, and generallly brainless beings that like to step into fires.

Also works distressingly well on your own mindless undead slaves.

Not to mention some of your demonic summons. I've been attacked by more than one "friendly" demon due to similar... misunderstandings.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 19:09

galehar wrote:The win/win combo: inner flame + enslavement.

So could you cast inner flame on your own zombies and use them as a chainbomb? Say be a fire elementalist of Yredelemnul, take a few zombies, stack up inner flames on them (idk how long it lasts, until death? could be done during a fight) by putting flames on as many as possible, surround large scary mob, they kill one or you kill one, all blow up = insta kill? If that is at all possible I am forever playing fire eles of yred.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 19:43

I think realistically it could only be used to make small numbers of zombies effective. I'm sure swarming would be better than just detonating everything but its a nice image haha. Still though I think it's worth trying to see if zombies can be used as bombs in small numbers if needed until you build a larger force. I find my biggest turn off for necro style characters is first entering a level is very difficult without much help except from bodies carried down. I also think the fire elementalist book is good for a lot longer so there wouldn't be this huge NEED for sif/veh. maybe kiku would work too. i'll give it a go soon and post how it works (keep in mind i'm a relativity new player but i usually get through the lair w/ combos im good at- have a few saves at L7 on various types. then i get excited about another idea and have to try it lol)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 15:52

Only ones i've got-
Transumter tricks:
Mummy curses (used to?) give you a TON of potions of degen for your evaporate spell. Find an early mummy vault, load up on some potions of water, and go to town.
I've sometimes used wand of polymorph to swap creatures into something that would give me a more useful corpse. I suppose this could work for Necro's too. Of course not actually being pro and knowing all the hitdice stuff this has more often killed me.

Actually i feel like polymorph and enslave are both heavily underused spells with major potential if you start thinking tactically instead of "Find and kill". Enslave has saved me a few times simply by charming something like a bat to serve as a meat shield while i flee through a hallway.

Still awesome topic. Did not know more than half of this, and the enslave summoner thing both makes me happy, and cry on the inside when i think back to some deaths.

For this message the author Eji1700 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 15:35

If you can kill earth elementals easily (looking at you, non-magic-using Fighters), the stone of earth elementals is a poor strong man's wand of digging/disintegration/dig spell.

All my heavily armored HOPr's have been carrying them.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 3
Grimm, MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 16:18

dolphin wrote:Hand axes are quiverable, throwable items, like daggers, or spears. If you have to throw it awkwardly, throwing doesn't appear to reveal pluses. But you do discover the pluses of ammo when you throw it.

(tested in WIZ with 27 Throwing and an enchanted longsword, with and without targets)

How do you throw a longsword? I can't figure it out.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 19:14

Jabberwocky wrote:
dolphin wrote:Hand axes are quiverable, throwable items, like daggers, or spears. If you have to throw it awkwardly, throwing doesn't appear to reveal pluses. But you do discover the pluses of ammo when you throw it.

(tested in WIZ with 27 Throwing and an enchanted longsword, with and without targets)

How do you throw a longsword? I can't figure it out.

List inventory 'i' and mark the letter for your longsword. Exit to game.

Hit 'F' not 'f', then type the letter for your longsword, aim and fire.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2011, 19:19

XuaXua wrote:If you can kill earth elementals easily (looking at you, non-magic-using Fighters), the stone of earth elementals is a poor strong man's wand of digging/disintegration/dig spell.

All my heavily armored HOPr's have been carrying them.

It's the second-least useless of those elemental-like artefacts for non-spellcasters (Disc of Storms (lightning) / Fan of Air Elementals / Lantern of Fire / Lantern of Shadows).

Wonder why there's no true water artefact (Robe of Clouds?)

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2011, 10:41

The Storm Bow may leave some puddles of water around too.

For this message the author hayenne has received thanks:
XuaXua
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice