Manual Is Redundant

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2011, 19:37

Manual Is Redundant

Just play on automatic and turn off all your skills but the one you want to get up....

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2011, 20:03

Re: Manual Is Redundant

Alternatives have been discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2045&start=50
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 7th July 2011, 12:31

To the OP: Do you mean "manual - the item (book)" or "manual mode (vs. automatic mode)"? It's unclear.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 7th July 2011, 14:01

Manual the Item, I presume. =)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 7th July 2011, 18:01

The OP applies to either, interestingly enough.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 7th July 2011, 18:41

Well the manual mode is redundant with automatic only if you select a single skill. If you select 2 or 3, then manual mode makes more sense. And it will even more when I add the focus skill feature. You'll be able to select 2 skills with 1/3 - 2/3 weighting. Or 3 with 1/2 - 1/4 - 1/4. That's what I had in mind from the beginning, but implementing it in 2 steps is easier.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 05:40

Auto levels them up at different rates depending on how often you have used them, manual levels them all up at the same rate (soon level them at player specified rates)

There is a use for both of them, auto when you are leveling up generally and the weightings are to your liking. Manual when you want to train up individual skills without dramatically altering the way you play, or leveling many skills evenly.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 8th July 2011, 07:40

Charliy wrote:Auto levels them up at different rates depending on how often you have used them, manual levels them all up at the same rate (soon level them at player specified rates)

manual also levels up something you don't use, which can be an advantage. i'm still somewhat torn about that, but it's still better than before.

i bet the OP referred to manual training, but yes, manuals in their current form should be scrapped, period.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 10th July 2011, 16:23

Perhaps manuals could give an extra level in the relevant skill when used (or an extra amount of training at a fixed amount of XP, or proportional to character levels). That would take your total skill training above what would be expected for your level of experience, which is something you couldn't do with the new system otherwise.

Return to Game Design Discussion