Book amnesia should be more visible

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 17:39

Book amnesia should be more visible

A lot of players don't actually know it exists.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 6
Berder, dowan, Pereza0, quik, Sandman25, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 17:51

Re: Book amnesia should be more visible

I guess the prompt for using a scroll of amnesia, or perhaps the description of the scroll of amnesia, could mention book destruction as an alternative.

I'm not sure where else it should be.

Does ctrl-I do anything? That could give a list of memorized spells and offer to forget them, then ask if you want to destroy a book in inventory, use an amnesia scroll in inventory, walk to one of the books holding that spell, or walk to an amnesia scroll stack. That's clippy-esque in its handholding, but the OP doesn't make any proposals.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:04

Probably spellbook descriptions should explain book amnesia.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:41

Why it even exists? Have anyone had a game where amnesia scrolls would not be enough?

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, GlassGo, Sprucery

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:43

I've updated the REST manual on the dev wiki in both the Books section (where it was overly prominent) and the Spellcasting section (where it was not mentioned at all).
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:48

sanka wrote:Why it even exists? Have anyone had a game where amnesia scrolls would not be enough?

I agree, I don't think it's necessary to have both book and scroll amnesia.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:51

xentronium wrote:
sanka wrote:Why it even exists? Have anyone had a game where amnesia scrolls would not be enough?

I agree, I don't think it's necessary to have both book and scroll amnesia.

I've found it helpful in low scroll games where I have several duplicates of a spell in different books. Especially when I memorize a useless spell to build skill for a spell I can't memorize, and run out of scrolls to remove the spell. Well-traveled players may disagree, but it's useful for noobs and removing this function "adds nothing". Sorry that the existence of this ability causes you such pain.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:57

I think you can now memorize spells without miscasts, so I guess it's rare to be useful to learn a low level spell just to train for a higher level one.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 18:58

Alternately, you could always make book amnesia more prominent while eliminating the scroll.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 19:02

No, but it's fun to use up extra spellbooks like this to save amnesia scrolls.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 19:31

Yes, actually, I did have one game where I actually didn't have enough amnesia scrolls to change my spell list around like I wanted to. Whether functionally unlimited amnesias are desirable is unlikely however.

More often I do it 'just in case', for the same reason I drop piles of jerky, bread, royal jellies, and fruit all over the dungeon rather than just eating them on the spot. Because maybe this will be that one game where I run out of permafood...

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 19:40

FR:
No more scrolls of amnesia.
Forgetting a spell removes that one spell from the book and changes the book description to "[adjective] damaged". The book is not destroyed until the last spell is removed from it.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 19:46

I think that (scroll | book destruction) and Sif would be enough sources of amnesias. That is, if we want spell choice to be an interesting thing, which I think it could be.

I guess I think book destruction is inherently more interesting than the scroll, especially when the scroll does the exact same thing as a god ability.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
archaeo, dowan

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 19:57

The god ability changes things further though, in the sense that you can plan on infinite amnesia, and that lets you change your gameplan more seriously than "a lot of times, within reason". With sif you can do it for every branch or even individual tough enemies.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 20:44

johlstei wrote:The god ability changes things further though, in the sense that you can plan on infinite amnesia, and that lets you change your gameplan more seriously than "a lot of times, within reason". With sif you can do it for every branch or even individual tough enemies.

Well, the ability uses piety (and a fair amount of it) so it's at least kind of limited. And I have a really hard time imagining myself actually doing this; the number of good spells that I can reasonably cast is usually a much stricter limit than the number of spell slots I have.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 20:48

Well... it uses sif piety, so it's not really that limited. I've used it pretty liberally, and never dropped a piety star or anything.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 20:50

Maybe it should cost more piety to amnesia spells memorized before worshiping Sif.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 21:13

Several times, yes.

If we had to remove one of book or scroll amnesia, I'd argue that book amnesia is more interesting (albeit more problematic for other projects people talk about, e.g. the 'goldification' of books); I'm not convinced that we need to remove either, however.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 22:45

Leaving only book amnesia makes Vehumet's spell gifts really awkward, you'd want to remove them or revert them back to books (or you could duplicate sif's ability I guess).
How is book amnesia more interesting? It's not like you're going to use it if you still want the book...

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, sanka

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 23:17

you'll use [book amnesia] if you want the spell levels more than you want the book; that's not the same as not wanting the book at all.

I have been in situations where I destroyed books which I had some desire to keep around for later because I needed spell levels now; not often, but it has happened.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, njvack

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 23:30

I'd prefer to have just scrolls of amnesia. The few times I've used book amnesia it was a bother to search around the dungeon for the optimal book to use for it, especially if I'm amnesia-ing more than one spell and each of my spells appear in multiple books. It was just too much effort for something that wasn't really fun.

Plus a typical thing you want to amnesia is your lower-level spells from your background's starting book. There are several of those and usually only one book, so book amnesia wouldn't be enough.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Blobbo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 00:05

OK, how about this:

Learning a spell (from a book) removes the spell from the book and marks the book as damaged or worn or whatever. If you learn the final spell in a book, that destroys the book.
Special passive ability for Sif Muna followers in good standing: learning a spell from a book doesn't remove the spell from the book. This applies both to found and gifted books. No piety cost. Rationale: Sif Muna doesn't like it when books are damaged.
Kiku gives books, but doesn't care that you damage them to learn spells from them.
Vehumet's spells already don't come from books, so that's not relevant here.
Any character who knows spells can choose to forget a spell at any time as a special ability, regardless of the original source of the spell.
No more scrolls of amnesia.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Berder

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 01:32

Berder wrote:I'd prefer to have just scrolls of amnesia. The few times I've used book amnesia it was a bother to search around the dungeon for the optimal book to use for it, especially if I'm amnesia-ing more than one spell and each of my spells appear in multiple books. It was just too much effort for something that wasn't really fun.

This is a very reasonable point, and something I've noticed. (Our book UI is generally not that great; I've seen multiple people talk about stashing specifically so that they could see all memorizeable spells at a time, for example.)

Berder wrote:Plus a typical thing you want to amnesia is your lower-level spells from your background's starting book. There are several of those and usually only one book, so book amnesia wouldn't be enough.

This is kind of silly; 'not enough' is not the relevant concept!

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 09:57

Or otherwise - have anyone had a game where magic books wouldn't enough for deleting spells?
I can't remember such game.

PleasingFungus wrote:This is a very reasonable point, and something I've noticed. (Our book UI is generally not that great; I've seen multiple people talk about stashing specifically so that they could see all memorizeable spells at a time, for example.)

I always do, an I thought everybody do.
A pile of books, and a pile of doublicates for amnesing spell.
English is NOT my native language.

Return to Game Design Discussion