My glorious return!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 06:20

My glorious return!

After a 2-year hiatus, I am now playing Crawl again!

I have mixed feelings about a lot of the intervening changes between 0.10 and now, I'm going to miss Summon Ugly Things, but it's nice that a lot of the annoying things got reformed.

How has everyone been? :3

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 07:28

Re: My glorious return!

i may have had a dream or two

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 07:48

i fulfilled my life's goal. that was pretty cool
take it easy

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 07:53

I'm banned from ##crawl and ##crawl-dev haha try and beat me.
Maybe they'll even manage to save the 0.17 tournament by banning the shit out of me! :^D

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Kismet

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 08:41

Yay, good to hear ^.^

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:05

After years of being mocked, I have managed to spread the love of Chei far and wide, and you'd be surprised how muted resistance to the one true god (apologies to nick cage) is these days. Sure, someone will once in a while point out that you can't run away, but it's mostly ignored. Chei has the highest number of species high score wins*, and was the 4th most won god in the tournament, only behind Trog, Okawaru, and Makhleb, who are all very powerful straightforward melee smash gods. Compare to eighth place in .15, sixth in .14, a three way tie for 7th in .13, and eleventh place in .12.

My next goal is to create 100% peace love and harmony in the tavern. Expected completion date is mid 2017.

*Only counting currently available, in game races (no gnomes, lava orcs, sludge elves, etc):
chei 8
sif 6
makhleb 4
trog 2
veh 2
dith 2
beogh 1

This adds up to 25, +1 for demigod no god, I seem to have missed one. Oh well, chei has a lead of 2.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:08

<offtopic>Beogh is the best god, it was even prohibited for most races to make other gods have a chance to be played at all. You can easily see it - the only species who can worship Beogh had Beogh as the speedrunner god</offtopic>

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
PleasingFungus, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:11

That's basically true, but since playing HO over and over gets tedious, I don't play beogh too often. The same player who did the HO high score also has the lava orc high score, I think lava orcs could worship beogh for a while (and then couldn't) but I may be wrong. I can't find his morgue since it was played on the korean server and the link to the morgue is down. Maybe someone can sequell the game to find out what god he used.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:12

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:36

I vote we retroactively make Beogh #1 god and count each of these wins as 5. So beogh is 10, chei is 8. Still very respectable, a solid second place, I'll allow it. Also make sif wins count as 1/5 since it's just aa restoring mana and one of those was a dirty summoner, so she drops to near last.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:38

tasonir wrote:Also make sif wins count as 1/5 since it's just aa restoring mana and one of those was a dirty summoner, so she drops to near last.

I agree. I really doubt it is possible to repeat that game in 0.16 where we don't have summons fighting out of los and some broken spells are missing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:45

The worst part is that it was done on a naga of all races - so replacing it with a chei naga is basically impossible. Still, we can't deny that it did in fact happen. Maybe you could do a .10 chei naga? I'm not sure anything is going to combine with summons as well as infinite mana, though.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:45

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:48

Sapher is back? Wow...

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:50

And how!

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, PleasingFungus, Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:53

Pteriforever wrote:After a 2-year hiatus, I am now playing Crawl again!

I have mixed feelings about a lot of the intervening changes between 0.10 and now, I'm going to miss Summon Ugly Things, but it's nice that a lot of the annoying things got reformed.

How has everyone been? :3

I actually became legitimately active on the Tavern and WebTiles, having seen the light of online tiles.

Ru is amazing, go play him.
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 18:54

Another thing that interests me is you can still see very clear player preferences dictating strategy rather than it being some cold hard analysis of the best style for the race. Certainly you can't pick something terrible, but for example Yermak used short blades for all their wins (except felid, which basically has short blade unarmed, so it counts). Are short blades the ideal strategy for demigods? Probably not, but if you're Yermak, it is. keymashgrqeeg used Chei for their three wins, really helping out the chei stats, so I approve. Purplered seems a bit more diverse, and 4thArra is split between chei and sif muna.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 01:49

XuaXua found his lost son.
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 02:24

Oh hey, this is something fun you should know:

Pteriforever wrote:Has anyone else noticed ice beasts doing less damage than normal in the latest trunk?

Seriously, they can hardly hurt high-AC enemies anymore. Summon Ice Beast is now near-useless as an anti-hydra and anti-bee weapon now, and it's easily outperformed by CCF.
(source)

Around A YEAR after you posted this, a developer found an extremely serious bug the caused all monster attack flavors to do zero damage. This bug probably accounts for this observation and was introduced a week or two before you made that post >_>

Anyway that quote is now a nice in-joke (it's goodforum[2] for example) so good job.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks: 2
and into, PleasingFungus

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 10:12

It's me again.

Been in a weird mood lately, and yesterday I decided to pick up the game again for a bit. Decided to say hi.

Nice to see this place is still here. I don't know if I'll stick around or keep playing much, it'd be cool to finally win Crawl after all these years though. Truth be told, back in 2015 I didn't really like the direction the game was going in, so for the time being I'm been playing on 0.10-a0-1201 for a maximally intense nostalgia trip.

Hope everyone's doing well.

For this message the author Pteriforever has received thanks:
Airwolf

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th August 2019, 23:51

Pteriforever wrote:It's me again.

Been in a weird mood lately, and yesterday I decided to pick up the game again for a bit. Decided to say hi.

Nice to see this place is still here. I don't know if I'll stick around or keep playing much, it'd be cool to finally win Crawl after all these years though. Truth be told, back in 2015 I didn't really like the direction the game was going in, so for the time being I'm been playing on 0.10-a0-1201 for a maximally intense nostalgia trip.

Hope everyone's doing well.

There have been ups and downs, check out trunk you'll find some stuff you actually will like, at very least it's more convenient to play than it was in .10
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 25th August 2019, 03:28

Siegurt wrote:There have been ups and downs, check out trunk you'll find some stuff you actually will like, at very least it's more convenient to play than it was in .10

Alright, I'll probably do that sometime (:

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th August 2019, 21:07

Interesting that Yermak independently developed a liking for shortblades at least 3 years before I played my first game. I actually consider them a fairly high % option too, because of their early game prevalence/utility. By late game you have magic, gods, or both to handle whatever the short blade can't, or assist with stabbing.

They also have the advantage of being a reasonably inexpensive skill to train up. 8-10 on SB, maybe 10 on stealth and you have something decent *right now* with a lot of XP to put elsewhere. I wonder if Yermak's reasoning was similar, years ago.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 7th September 2019, 12:31

Is getting out of zot:5 in a 3-rune orb run still the unfair garbage that made me quit in .21 or was it nerfed
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th September 2019, 00:17

scorpionwarrior wrote:Is getting out of zot:5 in a 3-rune orb run still the unfair garbage that made me quit in .21 or was it nerfed

I'm not sure what you mean.. Controlled teleport/blink and PoG still don't work with the orb, and uncontrolled teleports are still delayed, if that's what you mean. (I don't find that that's frequently a problem, and not more so on Z:5 than any other level particularly)

Did you have a particularly nasty Z:5 exit that killed you at some point or something? (If so it was probably randomly generated, and not Z:5 specific)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 9th September 2019, 13:42

Z:5 is a lot worse before clearing it than after picking up the rune, but I think that's been true for crawl since long before I started playing it. Getting TP-trapped into lungs can be a game over, even if you make good choices. Not every game has -tele options to block this.

The introduction of dispersal traps makes it even worse. You can't even reliably abuse LoS to block QS dragon/purple draconians trying to cancel you out of teleporting.

Once Z:5 is cleared reading TP and picking up the orb ~6 turns later is still an effective move. Maybe faster if you have a permanent tele trap nearby, use that and if you get a good landing spot just read TP again to cancel the scroll, otherwise let it tp you again. Orb run is dangerous but has lots of counterplay typically, and no realistic threat of traps if you've explored.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th September 2019, 16:38

TheMeInTeam wrote:Once Z:5 is cleared reading TP and picking up the orb ~6 turns later is still an effective move.

Why wait 6 turns? Nowadays the teleport delay is the same regardless of where the Orb is. The Orb status affects all Zot all the time.

Edit: stupid me :)
Last edited by Sprucery on Monday, 9th September 2019, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th September 2019, 16:44

Sprucery wrote:
TheMeInTeam wrote:Once Z:5 is cleared reading TP and picking up the orb ~6 turns later is still an effective move.

Why wait 6 turns? Nowadays the teleport delay is the same regardless of where the Orb is. The Orb status affects all Zot all the time.
It's 6 fewer turns spent with orbrun monsters generating, plus 6 fewer turns for existing monsters to react to the shriek.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sprucery

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner