Bad posts in GDD

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 08:38

Bad posts in GDD

GDD has had some interesting and animated discussions lately, and I credit both the moderation staff and those posting in the threads for maintaining at least the appearance of civility throughout. However, I've seen plenty of low-content posts in the forum. These range from pointless, "I agree," "I once had a game where the situation you describe happened," through distracting derails and unfunny jokes.

Half-baked suggestions are fine, they often lead to enlightening comments about why things should or shouldn't be a certain way, but irrelevant posts clutter up threads and encourage a low-effort posting environment which seems to lead to a double standard where a topic starter is railed for failing to peruse design documents or to dredge up years-old threads while the fourth person to reply gets away with some whack one-liner. I don't think I need to point out specific examples; the phenomenon is very pervasive, with excellent posters (even mods!) being guilty as often as impressionable newbies.

A minimum of thought, effort, and relevance should be expected from users replying to threads in GDD. I don't want a bunch of people to be punished for making bad posts in that forum, at least not until new standards are established, but I do think it would be improved if zero-content posts were regularly pruned.

Understand that I don't mean to belittle the work moderators are already doing, Tavern is a good forum and the mods are cool, but to encourage regular users to resist the urge to make those sorts of weak replies which deflate potentially good threads.

NB: I'm not really asking for a new rule...
Grimm wrote:Provide constructive criticism. Brief posts with no justification behind them (things like "this is obviously a bad idea", "this would be useless", "this would be overpowered") are likely to be removed.

...just that removal be made more likely!

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, dolphin, duvessa, Glenstorm, mkraemer

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th February 2015, 02:58

Re: Bad posts in GDD

This seems like a reasonable suggestion to me, and unless I hear otherwise from other mods, I'll start doing as you propose.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, n1000

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 24th February 2015, 04:31

Re: Bad posts in GDD

I personally appreciate it that we are not on elitistjerks.com (this is not a play on words, I mean the actual site) where a fake air of scientific supermacy domitnates. It's laughable.

For this message the author comebackshane has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Suggestions & Criticism