Depart Abyss at 0 *

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 19:37

Depart Abyss at 0 *

So that if you get abyssed you may go like "please god help me somebody help me" then you stumble across a lugonu altar and call to the god of the abyss to save you. FLAVOURGASM
Spoiler: show
And then you get killed by the wrath of your previous
god

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 19:39

Re: Depart Abyss at 0 *

?

You do know that lugonu gives you more piety upon joining than other gods, specifically so you can use exit abyss, right? I mean I might agree with removing the special case for lugonu piety but from a player perspective your suggestion is already in the game.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 19:44

crate wrote:?

You do know that lugonu gives you more piety upon joining than other gods, specifically so you can use exit abyss, right? I mean I might agree with removing the special case for lugonu piety but from a player perspective your suggestion is already in the game.

Oh am sorry I didn't know that you get piety upon joining

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 20:21

Actually, is there any reason for new players entering the Abyss to think that that monolith covered in purple tentacles will help them escape? I imagine it'd be kind of annoying for established players, but should Lugonu's altar in the Abyss trigger message spam to the player that Lugonu offers a way out? Just announcing it the first time it's seen might be helpful.

Alternatively, should the altar offer the player a way out without converting? Maybe make a sacrifice of permanent HP / an experience level / something heavy along those lines? Basically anything costly that won't force a new player to switch gods to something bizarre they've never seen before? I think a clear toll might be more fair and less likely to splat the ignorant, and will help avoid the feeling that Lugonu-worship is some kind of punishment conduct.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 22:04

I've had a genuine pressure conversion to Lugonu happen naturally exactly one time ever in all the games I ever played. I was playing a mid-level naga which got banished by Louise, so I was having trouble running away. Conversion worked out pretty well, although I definitely missed Vehumet's passives.

Permanent hit points or an experience level are really far too cheap of a price. I'd pay that after picking up the Abyssal Rune as my fifteenth Rune just to not have to be in the Abyss any more.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 23:53

3470 online games here. Never converted to Lugonu to escape Abyss, ever. I always figured this case was so rare as to be insignificant (but I am still against different gods giving different starting piety levels; since Lugonu no longer gives piety in abyss I guess you'd probably want to make it so you escape abyss upon joining).

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 23:56

I used it once, it was a Veh->Lugonu switch too, on one of my Nagas. Escaped back to Lair, survived Vehumet's wrath and then did something unbelievably dumb and died.

I think it's a cool thing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 00:01

I did abandon Veh in a zig once to get banished (back when wrath was instant), I think I might have converted to Lugonu after that but not to escape abyss.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 00:11

I converted to Lugonu at least twice: once I was banished by Zot trap on ascension, another occasion was when I stupidly abandoned Oka in Abyss at XL 18 or something, its wrath was much harder than Abyss 1, at least wrt consumables.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 03:03

I've done it three times. First crazy yiuf abyssed me at xl5 as a DEEn, and lugonu was my exit plan. Second, Terence hit me with a distortion weapon at XL 3 as a DrWn - and I worshiped Lugonu and went on to win that game! Third, a distortion unwield sent my HuAE^makhleb into the abyss at xl12. Lugonu was my only way to avoid instant death (worshiped at 17 hp; escaped the next turn with 13 hp), but Makhleb killed me later with an executioner.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 05:43

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:Actually, is there any reason for new players entering the Abyss to think that that monolith covered in purple tentacles will help them escape?

are you saying that you would not xv a monolith covered in purple tentacles the first time you saw one

...okay, no one xvs anything, but they *should*.

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:I imagine it'd be kind of annoying for established players, but should Lugonu's altar in the Abyss trigger message spam to the player that Lugonu offers a way out? Just announcing it the first time it's seen might be helpful.

hints mode should have a message for this; it might already

also, hints mode should be available online (it may be soon)

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Sar

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 06:10

the only time i converted was on my third win during an orb run because i didn`t know orb spawns stopped there and i was really close to being done

107718 | D:1 | You are cast into the Abyss!
107718 | D:1 | Cast into the Abyss (Veaxemualy)
108156 | Abyss | Got a bloodstained plate armour
108321 | Abyss | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
108332 | Abyss | Fell from the grace of Trog
108332 | Abyss | Became a worshipper of Lugonu the Unformed
108332 | Abyss | Acquired Lugonu's first power
108333 | D:1 | You pass through the gate.
108333 | D:1 | Escaped the Abyss.
108366 | D:$ | Escaped with the Orb!
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, chequers

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 13:21

PleasingFungus wrote:are you saying that you would not xv a monolith covered in purple tentacles the first time you saw one

...okay, no one xvs anything, but they *should*.

I actually do xv things every now and then! It led to me discovering the Trogdor easter egg in Zot. Good times, lulz all around. Is there a general consensus that messages from god vaults are bad design though? I found it hilarious the first time the Shining One tried to talk me out of my heretical Kiku worship, and think it'd be kind of awesome for Lugonu to drop an, "Are you lost, child? Come closer; I can help you find your way home..." while panicking at level 10 in the Abyss. How about it only triggers if your character's XL < 15? :P

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 17:18

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:I... think it'd be kind of awesome for Lugonu to drop an, "Are you lost, child? Come closer; I can help you find your way home..." while panicking at level 10 in the Abyss. How about it only triggers if your character's XL < 15? :P

I'd have it trigger more often if your character hasn't chosen a god yet.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 18:16

Include it in the "You are cast into the Abyss!" message.
"You are cast into the Abyss! Find a gate out or worship Logonu to escape."

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 19:45

Code:
Q: I've somehow ended up in a place called "Abyss". How do I get out of here?

A: If you are in the Abyss for the first time, chances of getting out are slim. Still, here are a few general hints:

* You need to find a gateway leading out of the Abyss. These are rare!

* Don't stick around to fight; move as much as possible!

* If you have it, use defensive equipment (weapons of protection, etc.).

* Use teleportation to end up in a completely new part of the Abyss. (But keep in mind that teleportation will take much longer to kick in than in the Dungeon...)

* Consider switching your allegiance to Lugonu, the god of the Abyss. Upon conversion, you will be able to escape the Abyss immediately (but you may anger your previous god!).

* Descending deeper in the Abyss will increase the chance of finding an exit out, but also increase the danger you face.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
comebackshane

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 11:21

wheals wrote:
  Code:
but you may anger your previous god!

What god isn't angered? I'm pretty sure every god will be angry.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 12:26

I did it once to escape on a very promising and fun character who got very unlucky with a tomahawk tossing popcorn orc in Orc:4, just a few short minutes from clearing the shops.. I really didnt like my character's new playing style and eventually just abandoned ship on that one. The take home message on this is that the entire abyss game-mechanic really sucks.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 12:39

Since we seem to be chipping in with experiences...

First extended game character MiFi Oka (unspoiled back then) , Banished in Vaults, converted in Abyss. Went on to use the banish/return as an escape several times before I blundered into the Tomb and got smeared.

Must say that not being able to generate piety whilst actually in the Abyss makes panic jumping like this harder to pull off repeatedly.

I'm fine with the level of info available, anyone Banished who doesnt already know the drill really should be xv'ing stuff, they are never getting out in one piece otherwise. If they arnt using that feature....well...they'll get it one day i'm sure, more Banishments will probably help.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th February 2015, 00:30

1010011010 wrote:
wheals wrote:
  Code:
but you may anger your previous god!

What god isn't angered? I'm pretty sure every god will be angry.

Ru.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th February 2015, 02:16

There's also No God, whom many first-time Abyss experiencers worship.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
archaeo

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner