CIP- MiFi of TSO- 12 runes and counting.. seeking advice

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 16:54

CIP- MiFi of TSO- 12 runes and counting.. seeking advice

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- currently in Tomb:3 going for the rune.. got 3/4 Hell runes and 4/5 Pan runes.. this is by far the farther ive been.. i have never won a game with 3 runes let alone 15 so i am half excited half scared at this point lol.. i now it wont take much for this to be a YASD post xD. anyone have any quick suggestions based on my char dump?.. i know i have some rot going on.. it was worse last night before i used a couple recharges worth of a wand of heal wounds to try and reverse it.. any hints someone sees? id really like this to be my first win ever/with 15 runes :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 17:08

Re: CIP- MiFi of TSO- 12 runes and counting.. seeking advice

stupid mummies.. Hp now at HP: 270/270 (273).. decided to waste another 5 casts from my wand of heal wounds to repair the rot ive taken.. not sure if it was a good idea but its done now lol

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 17:16

My experience with a MiFi of Qazlal running axes w/ +9 executioner's axe (vamp) is that Zot was a cakewalk, so I wouldn't be too apprehensive about winning after you've collected however many runes you want. And that was just a really basic 3 rune build, no spells, just fighting/axes/armor/dodging and some evo and invo. I didn't have haste even in consumable form and it was no problem. I guess you'll have haste online by the time you get the remaining runes, so I think you should be fine, barring some mishap on the way to 15 runes.

edit: i guess the standard advice would be you put way too much into shields, whose utility has diminishing returns on the high end, especially in the late game, and you could have more spells online, notably regeneration and haste, if you had skilled some of your non-axe combat skills only to 25 or so and used the experience for magic schools. Now that it's done though, just keep doing what you're doing and consider picking up regeneration and some other low level utilities, e.g. stuff from the "good spells" entry on learndb.

https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html#good_spells
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 17:40

i was running out of things to use my exp on, and ive never made it this far.. minotaur is my favorite but not good at magic so ive never considered using any spells with him lol.. i still have a lot to learn i know.. im not sure ill ever be able to cast haste sadly.. its still at fail 100%

EDIT- seems to be plenty of extra exp late game.. i somehow turned my unarmed combat on by accident and had it over lvl 10 before i even noticed lol

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 18:08

You pick up the obsidian rune and feel its power.
You now have 14 runes. -- and back to Pan for the last rune :D.. i dont think i missed it.. i did quickly leave a few regions where i was going to be overwhelmed and i thought there were only 4 runes to get so i thought i had them all :/

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 18:20

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- updated.. would trying the Zigs be worth my time/risk of dying.. like do i stand a decent chance of finding better equipment to ensure my final run? lol

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 18:53

Try speccing some zigs to get a feel for them. It seems the key is to know when to quit on zigs and with melee characters that seems to be before the end usually... Characters you see doing well in zigs and actually clearing them tend to use a lot of level 9 spells...
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 18:58

had a close call on a random zig i found in Pan.. almost died on a demon floor Zig:12.. had a unique and a swarm of other lesser demons hellfiring me.. think ill leave now while i still can, blinked away and used a scroll of fog and tabbed most of them away before the smoke cleared thankfully but any more than that smiting me and casting hellfire at one time and i dont think i could stand it

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 18:59

Your gear is perfect, I don't think you will find anything useful in Zig. Anyway, don't go too deep (that's about level 8-10 for my melee characters).
You have some un-IDed jewelry by the way.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 19:05

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- yeah i saw the jewelry after i dumped :P, nothing to great.. yeah i went down 12 levels and was regretting it lol.. didnt find anything to useful, 2 cure mut pots which i needed so it wasnt a complete waste

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too