New God: Wulndraste the Wayfarer (God of No Backtracking)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 13:56

New God: Wulndraste the Wayfarer (God of No Backtracking)

Hey folks, CBRO just got a new experimental branch for the new god of exploration and travel, Wulndraste the Wayfarer.

Code:
Wulndraste the Wayfarer is a god of exploration and travel who expects followers to always push onwards, never heading back until they have seen the sights and gotten what they came for. Wulndraste blesses adherents with enhanced physical and magical stamina that grows with devotion. Followers can blend in to a local population and thereby move quickly past a crowd, confusing them in the process. Devoted explorers can instantly teleport themselves away from danger.

Wulndraste piety:
Wulndraste appreciates exploration and picking up runes.
Wulndraste really, really hates backtracking, defined as "taking an up stair when there's a rune or unexplored down stair pathable on that same level from that up stair without flight".
To do: sharply reduce exploration piety, give a piety bonus for getting to a point on each level selected by the god and raising a flag-altar; mark staircases you'll be penalized for using with a visual indicator instead of merely a verbal warning upon use.

Wulndraste powers:
*: Endurance (passive): Wulndraste raises your hp/mp by 10%, increases your regeneration, and removes the 50 mp cap.
**: Blend In (active, small piety cost): You can blink through a consecutive string of monsters, with a chance to confuse the monsters you travel through. The confusion power level increases with Invocations skill.
***: Endurance upgrade to 20%, increased regen.
****: Change of Scenery (active, large piety cost): You instantly teleport, but get the dimensional anchor status for a little while. Increasing Invocations skill reduces the duration of the status.
*****: Endurance upgrade to 30%, increased regen.

Wulndraste wrath:
You get a significant penalty to health/mana (30% IIRC) until wrath expires.

Notes:
Wulndraste has some (many?) bugs still, including assigning penance for leaving labyrinths. Please let me know all the bugs you find and I'll resolve them as soon as I 'm able.

Edit: credit to PF and wheals for the conduct specifications, to Grunt for the name, and to ontoclasm for the great altar icon. Also credit to all the active devs, who pretty much all had some hand in the creation process. Special thanks to johnstein for putting up the experimental branch!

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 9
all before, dranichekk, Ironfoot, njvack, Piginabag, rockygargoyle, Roderic, Sar, XuaXua

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 15:53

Re: New God: Wulndraste the Wayfarer (God of No Backtracking

A bit skeptical as to how the hell you could possibly manage to do tomb with this god. I guess you're intended to be a sneaky bastard and just slip past everything, or maybe he's just not cut out for certain branches - regardless, I'll give him a shot in octopode fashion and report back with my experience.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 16:16

The way the conduct is structured, Tomb will largely allow you to ignore the conduct, though you won't be able to stairdance Tomb:3. It will probably be quite challenging, but the powers are quite strong, so hopefully that'll compensate.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 16:56

Any chance this will be available on other servers?

edit: nm, cbro is pretty fast for me
Last edited by MrPlanck on Friday, 19th December 2014, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 17:25

The god of speedrunning? OH YES!
You shall never see my color again.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 17:33

*Reads thread title*

*Gets hype*

Thanks for the early christmas present! You guys are awsum.

Brb making CBRO account

and living out my dreams as an mount everest climber (dungeon descender?)

Kreygasm

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 18:19

From what I understand, you're docked piety for not diving to the absolute bottom of a branch on the floor you encounter it? For instance, I fell in a shaft on the floor that orc was on and trying to go back upstairs is prompting me with the "are you sure" message. So, if you don't want to lose piety, you're encouraged to dive to orc 1-4 on the floor you see it, and lair 1-8 on the floor you see it as well. Feels kinda weird that I'm essentially losing piety for being shafted. [Perhaps windrustle can forgive you for going up a floor if you're unintentionally shafted?]

Edit: So you actually incur wrath for taking an up stair, not just piety loss... ouch

I think this is a bug: when under penance, he seems to restrict resting with "5" to like 10 turns at a time. So you have to sit there and press 5 repeatedly to rest.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 19:14

How does this god work with respect to branches? Is he going to get pissed off at me because I don't dive into Slime after I finish Lair?
take it easy

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 19:16

First thoughts: Horrible name (just remove the n), good concept -mostly because of the miniquest to put altars at some points-, still confusing piety rules, mild and unthematic powers, and yet another exploration piety based god.

The blend in ability is intriguing. Does it mean that you go through a row or column of monsters or can this trip take different directions along its way provided there are adjacent monsters?

As far as I remember there was a similar god(ess) related to quests/exploration, i.e, you weren't allowed leaving branches but you gain some particular resistances for different branches.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 19:53

Playing Wulndraste with a Migl and I am unable to train Invocations.
Attachments
NoInvo.png
NoInvo.png (332.29 KiB) Viewed 19852 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 20:05

Piginabag wrote:So, if you don't want to lose piety, you're encouraged to dive to orc 1-4 on the floor you see it

Question: are you also encouraged to enter and complete Elf before leaving Orc?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 20:17

Until the bugs are fixed: Do not enter a labyrinth right now, and do not go into windy penance. Leaving a labyrinth is automatic penance, and penance leads to crashes :D

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 20:18

You should not be forced by Wulndraste to switch branches. If that happens, please report it as a bug.

Known issues right now:
* Can't train invocations
* Leaving a labyrinth puts you in penance for some reason
* Penance crashes the game every few turns.

Things I'm keeping an eye on:
* Shafts are pretty awful.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 20:28

Question: If you discover a stairs down via magic mapping, but haven't explored it yet, does it count for pathfinding?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 20:36

VsMo. Got to D15, skipping orc and lair because I wasn't sure when I could turn back. Cleared D15 and went up to 14, got wrath. Cannot proceed because the game crashes after about 100-150 moves (tried twice).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 21:04

My first impression is that unfortunately the conduct is far more of an annoyance than it is an interesting gameplay effect, and I'm not really sure that this is fixable (because you'd have to change an awful lot about crawl to do it). This pretty much ruins the god (obviously). I got to lair on my character and the effects of the conduct were:

1) I had to change my autopickup to make sure I didn't miss items I would normally leave lying around (not that big of a deal, but not fixable)
2) I couldn't "imp park" harmless monsters that I had trouble killing (arguably this is a problem with the monsters more than anything, but until/unless that changes, this is also not really fixable)
3) I forgot to read-id my scrolls before going downstairs a couple times, and then I didn't want to read-ID them on an unexplored floor (since noise and teleport exist).
4) I had to actively fight my impulse to press x<enter< every time I see a staircase (this is obviously not a problem but is mildly amusing)

I had maybe 2 or 3 fights where I would've maybe used up-stairs if I could have done so, but then I didn't and was fine anyway. Personally I didn't feel it changed much, but then I use stairs in-combat (or even to avoid monsters) actually not very often (I use them for resting and such a lot but regen makes that not matter much so idk).

Obviously invocations are not really possible to evaluate at this time but the hp/mp boost is pretty boring (opinion, perhaps this is the goal) and not even that strong early on (ely, fedhas, oka, trog, possibly makhleb are all better at 1* imo; you do get there faster with W though).

So far the god seems like an idea that was worth trying but then when you try it it doesn't seem to work in crawl.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 3
duvessa, rockygargoyle, Sar

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 21:34

Public service announcement: right now windy apparently doesn't understand the concept of branch ends - so it is functionally impossible to actually win while worshipping him because the game will crash due to penance in the event that you reach a branch end and try to leave. Godspeed, Lasty. God help us all.

Breaking news: You can only go back up an explored staircase on a branch end, and from there you have to go up and down every unexplored staircase on the floor to get back out of the branch. Windy doesn't like unexplored "down" stairs even if you've explored the entire floor below you.

More breaking news: You cannot, however, leave a branch (in this case orc/elf) at all. It could be due to elf/lair branches, but fat chance im clearing elf at xl 12. - NOPE you can't leave lair branches even after collecting the rune
Last edited by Piginabag on Friday, 19th December 2014, 22:59, edited 5 times in total.

For this message the author Piginabag has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 22:03

crate wrote:1) I had to change my autopickup to make sure I didn't miss items I would normally leave lying around (not that big of a deal, but not fixable)

This could be fixed to some extent if the idea to set-to-autopickup "anything stackable that you are already carrying at least 1 of" is implemented.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 00:15

I've fixed these issues and rebuilt the experimental branch on CBRO:

* Can't train invocations
* Leaving a labyrinth puts you in penance for some reason
* Penance crashes the game every few turns.
* Can't leave branches.

I wasn't able to reproduce reports of being unable to leave branch ends. As far as I know all existing bugs are fixed. Please report any further bugs you find!

Edit: If you were affected by a level-leaving bug, saved, and are now reloading, you'll need to leave the level before the stairs recalculate.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 05:13

Well, I won a game with ol' wulndy, and here's my feedback.

Wuldn is a challenge god. However, he feels more like you're playing with self imposed restrictions than worshiping an actual god. While the regen and health/mp bonus are nice, and blend in is cool, his conduct feels out of place. The stair conduct would be better represented as a tournament banner or something; I don't think the concept is interesting enough in its own right to justify creating a whole new god. His current powers seem to be focused entirely on speed running - a noob picking up wuld would be terrified and confused. Actually, any player who doesn't have a solid grasp on branch order and what items or skills they might need in a particular branch would be punished constantly. You need to know too much about crawl to actually get any use out of the god, otherwise he is a noob deathtrap.

The only thing I found interesting about wuld was the Blend In active. It's a really fun ability with a lot of potential uses and I thoroughly enjoyed using it. It's really nice to be able to back into a corner and then just flooop your way out.

Change of scenery is terrible. It's an instant (the only positive) teleport that gives you -tele after landing... so if you tele into a bad spot or worse spot, good luck. While I was playing around with Blend In, I found myself wishing that the the ****.. ability was of a similar flavor and usefulness as the **.... ability - something that added to the theme of constantly moving, using different tricks to slip past the crowds of monsters. Like a mass self illusion spell, or shapeshifting into an enemy to confuse it's allies, or something. As it is, change of scenery is just really boring and of marginal usefulness and at the very least needs to be changed.

About the only thing I would keep from the god right now would be Blend In.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 11:32

What about easing the conduct so that Wul would not mind using staircase up once, but you would get penalty if you use same staircase up more than once?
That would make player consider staircases up as strategic resource "do i want to stairdance, or save them for doing branches in different order later/orb run?"

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 15:02

I just finished lair with Wuln. I quite enjoy the no-stair conduct--it's simple, more meaningful than the conduct imposed by most deities, and has a significant effect on my gameplay as someone who regularly uses stairs as an escape option from hydras, blink frog packs, and uniques. I also like 'blend in.' I used it primarily as an offensive ability, confusing packs of enemies that I could then mow through with my axe. It's pretty powerful in that regard--at 8 invo I was able to take out Harold. I like that it can have some effects on melee positioning--if I've stationed myself at a bottleneck or around a corner, I'll have to give up my advantageous position to confuse-blend the pack. I can't speak to how well it works as stealth or escape option.

I also can't imagine myself using the other active ability much. The dimension anchor effect makes it worse than a ?tele because I can't re-tele if I land somewhere unpleasant. If Wuln's second active ability is going to remain an tele effect, then what about either making it a ctele or it giving the player some additional buffs so that they have a chance of surviving wherever they land. Or why not just remove -tele? If the piety required to use it is large enough, then the player can't abuse it too much.

The current way that climbing up from a branch end works is really tedious. Every time I tried to go up a stairs, Wuln prevented me until I had gone down all the available stairs on the level. So going from Lair 8 to D requires 7 floors of 'X>.><X>.><X<', which isn't very fun.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 19:14

Yesterday I incurred Wuln's wrath for leaving the Labyrinth and then had to deal with the crashes of course. Now that's fixed, and it's awesome, but now the staircases in the lair seem to have reset. I was on Lair:7 when I quit playing last night, and then this morning I cleared 7 and 8, but the up staircases on Lair:7 have all reset, and I can't go up without incurring Wuln's wrath again.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 22:07

I played through a VSAs^Wuln today. I picked the combo because 1) I thought it would benefit from the health/mana bonuses, and 2) I thought the power of VS would both help deal with the conduct and also speed up the game. I think those assumptions were validated. Overall these are my impressions:

1) having to explore all stairs down on each level before going back up after finishing a branch is really obnoxious. No matter what else happens with the god, I plan to fix that. However, the conduct otherwise was not particularly harsh -- there were definitely a few times where I descended into a nasty group of enemies and had to scramble (when normally I'd just climb back up), but I never felt incapable of dealing with it. Mara was a frightening enough enemy that I wished I could have escaped up stairs away, but I ended up choosing to attempt (and succeed) in a tense fight against him instead of randomly teleporting. I was once forced to put off buying a good item in a shop until significantly later.
2) The powers are fairly strong, at least on a VS. The extra hp/mp/regen help quite a lot, and the ** power can be very good for positioning and also has a very strong confuse effect. I was able to use it to trivialize some otherwise frightening situations. Interestingly, it can be used to dodge orbs of destruction as it is currently coded. I only used the teleport once in the abyss, and it was preemptively; I agree that it didn't seem like a great power, but I was more confident knowing that it was an option should it become warranted. Overall, my run was quick and my character powerful, so I get the impression that the god is fairly strong.
3) I had trouble keeping piety at 4* until I got runes, partly because I was using Blend In a lot. Getting runes bumped me up to 6*, where I stayed for the rest of the game.

My total impression of the god was that there's some potential, but the conduct is frustratingly implemented, and I'll try to fix that. Adding in flag-raising might help spice up the god, but I think it may also just need another (or a replacement) active ability.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 22:09

Runemage wrote:Yesterday I incurred Wuln's wrath for leaving the Labyrinth and then had to deal with the crashes of course. Now that's fixed, and it's awesome, but now the staircases in the lair seem to have reset. I was on Lair:7 when I quit playing last night, and then this morning I cleared 7 and 8, but the up staircases on Lair:7 have all reset, and I can't go up without incurring Wuln's wrath again.

Hmm. I haven't run into this issue. I'm not sure what would cause it, but I suggest you try descending back to 8 and then trying to climb up to 7 again. That should cause Wuln to reevaluate the stairs. If you have untraveled down staircases that will also cause it. I'm going to try to improve this conduct soon.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 22:57

Lasty wrote:
Runemage wrote:Yesterday I incurred Wuln's wrath for leaving the Labyrinth and then had to deal with the crashes of course. Now that's fixed, and it's awesome, but now the staircases in the lair seem to have reset. I was on Lair:7 when I quit playing last night, and then this morning I cleared 7 and 8, but the up staircases on Lair:7 have all reset, and I can't go up without incurring Wuln's wrath again.

Hmm. I haven't run into this issue. I'm not sure what would cause it, but I suggest you try descending back to 8 and then trying to climb up to 7 again. That should cause Wuln to reevaluate the stairs. If you have untraveled down staircases that will also cause it. I'm going to try to improve this conduct soon.

I cleared all of the down staircases on Lair:7, and now it lets me ascend to Lair:6, but now I have to clear all of the down staircases (excluding trapdoors and branches) before ascending. Doing it isn't a problem, but it seems a bit unnecessary. Thanks.

For this message the author Runemage has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 21st December 2014, 17:07

I just pushed a patch to make the conduct less irritating: After you reach the bottom of a branch and collect any applicable runes, you no longer have any stair restrictions.

Minor incompatibility: This functionality isn't available to existing characters on any branch where they have already visited the lowest level. These characters will need to explore every stair in that branch, as per previous behavior.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Piginabag

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 01:31

Grunt changed Change of Scenery to have it teleport you somewhere safe.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 03:53

I have to agree that our wandering god is pretty boring to play right now; the game I just finished felt like an otherwise standard speedrun with a "no going back to your stash" conduct more than anything else. The change I made to Change of Scenery probably makes it too powerful - I hit on the idea to use it the moment I stepped onto V:5 and clearing the rest of the level was completely trivial.

I agree that if this god is going to go anywhere it needs a better selection of active abilities.

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 05:05

lasty you should canibalize some of the active abilities from the whitney god proposal
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 14:44

Lasty wrote:I just pushed a patch to make the conduct less irritating: After you reach the bottom of a branch and collect any applicable runes, you no longer have any stair restrictions.

Minor incompatibility: This functionality isn't available to existing characters on any branch where they have already visited the lowest level. These characters will need to explore every stair in that branch, as per previous behavior.

What if you go to Orc and hit a dead end O3 bottom and have to backtrack? I'm sure it allows it, yes?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 15:32

Yes, that's allowed. The rule is that you can go up if 1) there is no connected stone down stairs or rune reachable from that staircase up or 2) you've already reached the bottom of the branch and retrieved any runes there. So, you can backtrack from isolated bubbles and in Tomb (until Tomb 3), you can leave Abyss unless the Abyssal Rune is pathable from where you are, and you can leave Pandemonium whenever you're not on a rune-having level.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 19:55

What happens if you can see the Abyssal rune, but Lugonu teleports you?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 20:04

The rule is that you can go up if 1) there is no connected stone down stairs or rune reachable from that staircase up

To go up is a chore with this rule. Once you have got the bottom and try to go up you need to go down for every downstair at each level even if the level has been fully explored. You should go up without wrath if the current level has been completely explored AND at least one downstair has been used; there's no point on visit the other two.

Another solution can be marking all downstairs as used when you have used one, then when you go up you don't need to use the ones you didn't use previously.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd December 2014, 21:03

Roderic: yeah, that already got implemented.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 13:26

Still running a char with Wuldn. My impression is that you eventually become a trailblazer with all that endurance benefits whenever you find a good artifact. Blend in is a good ability to reposition yourself when surrounded. Haven't use the scenario change really much: by the time you can use it you can either fight your way or having ?tele, of course the benefit of having a safe tele is probably the only reason to use it.

The idea of having to go to determined places is thematic and would be fine to have this otherwise the game has a feel of lackluster and rather boring.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 25th December 2014, 16:19

I cannot possibly envision completing the new tomb:3 without stair dancing, even with necromutation the zerg rush you encounter will quickly kill any character who stays for too long.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 25th December 2014, 19:22

Give it immunity or resistance to mummy curses because archaeolgy? Kinda heavy handed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 25th December 2014, 23:45

It's not too hard to just not kill the mummies and still get the rune in one of a few ways.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th December 2014, 06:11

Also, Kiku already does that.
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th December 2014, 13:59

And, as it happens, the god gives you two powers that specifically help improve your mobility, even (especially) in crowded situations.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 26th December 2014, 23:14

Mobility related, some abilities to consider could be something with doors, like open/closing doors at distance or trespassing them without opening

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 27th December 2014, 19:01

Roderic wrote:Mobility related, some abilities to consider could be something with doors, like open/closing doors at distance or trespassing them without opening

Actually some ability like "Lock Door" would be pretty cool, allowing only yourself to be able to unlock it. Once you open it, it returns to being a normal door. This would be a very nice means of healing yourself when in a situation where you are running away (Having the mark in the vaults).

For this message the author EugeneJudo has received thanks:
XuaXua

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 06:24

I really like the -idea- of this god, but its implementation seems like more of an annoyance than anything else. I'd think that, instead of incurring penance for going up, just chop a hunk of piety away and excommunicate/penance at 0 piety.
Maybe that's a horrid idea, but as it looks right now, the god encourages you to do every branch you see if you don't want to miss our on phat lootz, and often by the time a character reaches the orcish mines, they are not ready for them, and most of the time you'll find the Mines before the Lair. I haven't gotten super far in any of my games as of yet, but it just seems like it punishes you for not being ready for a branch when you find it.
“Sometimes dead is better”
― Stephen King, Pet Sematary

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 14:36

The conduct is totally inflexible - either you do all of a branch or you'll get under penance.

I'll take a shot at this:
Wuln likes
+ going down/up unexplored stairs (average piety)
+ randomly teleporting into previously unexplored area (minor)
+ killing uniques (HD dependant)
+ collecting runes (high)
+ identifying things (average)
+ reaching the bottom of a branch (high)
+ exploring (minor)

dislikes
- leaving an unexplored area (piety cost dependant on % of unexplored terrain that you can access in current state + N of unexplored staircases (that you can access but not necessary see). Going up from an explored level, all tiles explored + all staircases visited is 0 piety, going down to unexplored level and going immediately up would be something like ~20 piety).
- inaction (1 piety lost for every 100/300 turns without/with 'exposing' unknown tiles - it's high, but gaining piety with this god is easy).
- missing out a portal (duh, 30 piety maybe? Less for those considered 'dangerous' for your character (volcano without any sources of rFire at hand))

the HP/MP bonus should be gradual, from 1% at 50 piety to 30% at 180
maybe a slight walking speed bonus at high piety? or as an invocation?
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 16:06

What about "bonus" piety for taking one-way stairs and deliberate shafting? Extra combo with Formicids on the last part there... conceptual "neuter" for those using Chaos brands now that it doesn't accidentally self-shaft.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 16:09

EugeneJudo wrote:
Roderic wrote:Mobility related, some abilities to consider could be something with doors, like open/closing doors at distance or trespassing them without opening

Actually some ability like "Lock Door" would be pretty cool, allowing only yourself to be able to unlock it. Once you open it, it returns to being a normal door. This would be a very nice means of healing yourself when in a situation where you are running away (Having the mark in the vaults).

I like the "Lock Door" concept, but keeping with the "no backtracking" theme, perhaps you lose piety if you open the door and haven't yet explored the entire level and the floors below.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 16:45

- Wuln gives you wondrous gifts to to broaden your experience (very watered down acquirement, a random item veighted heavily to items you haven't identified yet)
- Your HP/MP regeneration is very slow when you're idle (you regenerate very slowly, but get back mp/hp when gaining piety & discovering)
- Your thirst for new sensations makes you hard to put down (+sustAbil)
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 12:34

kuniqs wrote:- Your HP/MP regeneration is very slow when you're idle (you regenerate very slowly, but get back mp/hp when gaining piety & discovering)

This rewards you leaving a few unexplored tiles near the edge of the map where you're pretty sure there are no enemies (or worse, shouting near all such areas you leave to make sure there's no enemies) so you can drag fights over there whenever you need some HP. Even setting aside how tedious this is, it has the terrible side effect of disincentivizing auto-explore. That's setting aside that lower natural regen in general just means you have to eat slightly more food, unless the regen is insanely slow.

(Though this idea made me think of a god whose conduct involves no natural regen [and no device healing?] but in exchange you fully heal whenever you enter a floor you've never entered before. Probably not appropriate for Wuln but if I can think of more to go with it I might turn it into a full proposal/patch)

For this message the author cheetah7071 has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd January 2015, 16:08

So... anyone used Wulnd in a zig yet? You have to make it to the bottom or face wrath?
Next

Return to Game Design Discussion