auto explore problems...

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 13:12

auto explore problems...

hey everyone

so im having this weird issue where no matter how i change my settings, my characters will automatically move to the next spot while not showing me each individual move when i auto explore. i tried comparing my settings with my girlfriends and they were identical, while her auto explore was doing what mine refused to do. any idea on how to fix this issue? i would love to see where my characters are actually going as opposed to just appearing there.

also, ive tried screwing with the init file settings, but no matter what i put in and save, i keep getting the same result.

any help would be hugely appreciated!
ray

Edit: here are my current auto explore settings, ive tried reversing them to no avail.

travel_delay = -1
# explore_delay = 20

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 23:14

Re: auto explore problems...

Also: im running a MacBook Pro with 10.6.7 maybe its a problem with this new OS? maybe its my terminal settings? please help!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 08:58

Did it happened right after installing or after you messed with options? Does it also happen when travelling and running or only with autoexplore?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 11:06

It happened right after installing, the same thing also happens with traveling and running.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 11:23

Sounds like a problem with your display not refreshing fast enough, not options. Does screen refresh feels slow when you're just moving around? What if you hold on a direction key, how is the refresh rate?
If that's the case, try updating your graphic drivers or tweaking the options. You need openGL support.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 12:04

when i hold the direction key down, it works fine, doesnt seem to be a problem in the refresh rate as the game generally runs very fast.

Edit: Also just check my graphics card drivers and it seems to be updated to the most current release. I should also mention that i dont run into this problem when playing on either of the online public servers, CDO/webtiles. this is completely racking my brain, thanks for your help so far! :D

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 12:33

Why have you set travel_delay to -1? Have you tried commenting it out or setting it back to 20?

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 13:14

i have tried setting it to 20, with no avail, ive set both to 20, and ive set explore to -1 with travel on 20. i think ive tried every combination with no success, what do you mean by commenting it out?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 13:42

lerugray wrote:what do you mean by commenting it out?

Putting a # in front of the line. Lines which start with a # are comments and will be ignored by the game.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 14:35

there were already # before the line... i tried taking them out, saving and trying again with no avail.

im baffled. but in the meantime ive been having a great game with a DdNe on the web tiles...

I should mention that i also tried reinstalling the program on my computer with the console version, where i experienced the same problem.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 20:53

Possibly dumb question, but by chance are you editing the right settings file? Is there more than one on your system? The one that you're editing might not be the one that the game is reading, or there's a second one being read after it that's overriding it.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 22:55

ive been editing the init.txt file. tried to find any other copies of dc on my comp, found one got rid of it and tried again, still diddnt work. in another folder there is an init.txt file for dwarf fortress, but that couldnt be whats going on right?

Return to Technical Support