Proposal: Poison chunks and rPois

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 07:24

Proposal: Poison chunks and rPois

I think it would be very convenient if you were allowed to eat poison chunks as long as you had a (usable) source of rPois in your inventory. It's not a huge deal, but there are several areas (deep in the lair, swamp) where you can generate many poison corpses with no meaningful reason to wear rPois, which can lead to tedious equipment swapping to eat a chunk and move on. I also don't believe that butchering corpses and eating chunks in combat is a frequent issue, and unless you're swapping sets of plate the AUT cost of swapping to rPois gear is pretty minimal.

Obviously, the negatives are that it makes the food clock slightly more trivial, but only because players that would otherwise say "eh, screw it" and eat a ration might butcher corpses without needing to click four extra times to swap to rPois and swap back.

For this message the author milski has received thanks:
duvessa

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 07:28

Re: Proposal: Poison chunks and rPois

why do poison chunks (or chunks in general) still exist again

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Ironfoot, johlstei, nago, nilsbloodaxe, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 11:33

Because food is a thing in Crawl?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 17:53

milski wrote: players that would otherwise say "eh, screw it" and eat a ration might butcher corpses without needing to click four extra times to swap to rPois and swap back.

Four extra keystrokes or clicks? Sure, it adds up, but it isn't really that much.

I consider it the price of not playing a poison-resistant race.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 18:15

I don't feel like we should design the game around mild tedium as a motivating factor. There's a reason there are no longer scrolls of Curse X randomly lying around, or requiring a knife to butcher, and pretty much for the same reason I suggest letting you eat poison chunks; there's no real gameplay decision involved, just annoyance in edge cases.

For this message the author milski has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nilsbloodaxe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th December 2014, 18:32

How about just removing poisonous chunks? Make them clean if you want, or remove them entirely. Either way seems to be an improvement to me.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 5
all before, and into, Arrhythmia, nilsbloodaxe, rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th December 2014, 16:39

dornbeast wrote:
milski wrote: players that would otherwise say "eh, screw it" and eat a ration might butcher corpses without needing to click four extra times to swap to rPois and swap back.

Four extra keystrokes or clicks? Sure, it adds up, but it isn't really that much.

I consider it the price of not playing a poison-resistant race.

Then surely you'll support my proposal for electrified chunks.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 17th December 2014, 18:01

We need more various chunks. Acid chunks, negative energy chunks, magma chunks, summoned chunks(for some reason, you can only eat them if you have warding). I really feel like my resistances are going to waste if I can't use them to eat all the tasty monsters.

Plus, why do poison chunks have a Y/N prompt if you have no rPois, yet pressing Y doesn't do anything. Why don't mutagenic chunks make you more full? Why don't amulets of resist mutation let you eat mutagenic chunks risk free, like with rPois and poison chunks? Why do people drive on the highway with their high beams on? Why do those damn kids keep skateboarding on my sidewalk!?!

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, EugeneJudo, rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 03:41

If somebody made a patch A) Turning Poison chunks into Clean Chunks B) Changing the Poison chunk type to a monster flag (I think Ignite Poison, for example, needs this) then I would probably push it.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 06:54

reaver wrote:B) Changing the Poison chunk type to a monster flag (I think Ignite Poison, for example, needs this)
um, not being able to tell which monsters will be affected by ignite poison kind of sounds like the worst thing ever

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 12:24

Ignite poison should effect anything with a natural poisoning ability, either poison on attacks, spit poison or poison/noxious breath (poison via chaos need no apply). All these things are described via xv.

Poison chunks should be removed.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:28

damiac wrote:Plus, why do poison chunks have a Y/N prompt if you have no rPois, yet pressing Y doesn't do anything.

That prompt went away some time ago. Alas. I suspect it was eaten.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:44

Ah, fair enough. One time I had a very hungry character who only had poison chunks, so I was quite disappointed to see I couldn't actually eat it.

'Truly eatest thou ye aulde poisonous chunke (y/n)
Y
But thou mustn't!'

Also, is there a language pack that translates the game into ye aulde englishe? Because there should be...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 22:41

duvessa wrote:
reaver wrote:B) Changing the Poison chunk type to a monster flag (I think Ignite Poison, for example, needs this)
um, not being able to tell which monsters will be affected by ignite poison kind of sounds like the worst thing ever
Ok, so having the monster flag prints a blurb on the description like M_SHADOW and a bunch of other monster flags do. (I just assumed any patch would implement that because yes not being able to tell which monsters are affected would be terrible)
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 01:53

i was actually trying to get ignite poison removed

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
crate, notcluie, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 04:09

duvessa wrote:i was actually trying to get ignite poison removed

You dare!? y-you DARE!?!?
You shall never see my color again.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 21:36

well, ignite poison is quite bad, quite spoilery and quite degenerate (you can lay down poison arrows/potions etc to burn)
so it probably should...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 00:37

Then it shouldn't work on potions, arrows etc.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 01:27

Ignite Poison is kind of terrible even if used as actually intended. It's only useful in a couple areas that aren't particularly hard in the first place. It eliminates positioning as a concern for those areas, which is bad because positioning is something like 80% of gameplay content. Cross-training with it will actually make your character worse due to the opportunity cost, since fire and transmutations have no useful synergy at any point in the game other than the relevant Lair branch, which again isn't that hard in the first place. Possibly it may serve a role as a newbie trap, but we probably don't actually need a newbie trap.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:23

This is getting offtopic so i ll put it simple: ignite poison is a spell that you usually learn when playing a transmuter background because its useful since 3 out of 4 of the possible rune branches for lair are poison themed. i could create a topic about changing the spell to ignite blood and elaborating around it if people want to keep discussing it.
You shall never see my color again.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 02:44

dynast wrote:This is getting offtopic so i ll put it simple: ignite poison is a spell that you usually learn when playing a transmuter background because its useful since 3 out of 4 of the possible rune branches for lair are poison themed. i could create a topic about changing the spell to ignite blood and elaborating around it if people want to keep discussing it.

Please do; I'm not very fond of the spell myself (from a design perspective), but I'd be happy to read an argument in its defense.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 20th December 2014, 10:06

Tm spellpower for ignite poison isn't even particularly great since you wouldn't have trained much fire or even that much tmut unless you're going for dragon form so you get something that's filler until things get into melee for 1 1/2 branches on average and it isn't even particularly good in swamp since all the strong enemies are immune
other builds don't really want any tm investment unless you really want 11 spell levels and 5 different skills trained for flame clouds
e: i suppose this ignite poison discussion should probably be moved though

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Return to Game Design Discussion