Issues with new blurry vision

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 11th December 2014, 07:51

Issues with new blurry vision

Trunk Updates, 8 December:
  Code:
The ‘blurry vision’ mutation no longer causes scroll-reading to occasionally fail. Instead, it adds a delay before the player finishes reading the scroll (and gains the benefits): one turn per level of the mutation.

Up until the change the mutation gave a random chance for reading the scroll to fail.

I initially thought this was a really good change, because it removes randomness in critical moments such as reading scrolls of blinking to escape dangerous situations. With the new blurry vision, you can plan around scrolls taking longer to read. It also makes more sense from a logical perspective.

However, I think it introduces a whole new problem, in that if you forget about or don't notice you've got the mutation it is much more likely to flat out kill you. Reading a scroll with the mutation effectively leaves you paralyzed (but with normal defenses) for the extra turns, and in a critical blink situation that's enough time to die.
With the old mutation the worst that could happen would be that you'd fail to read the scroll, wasting a turn, and realize that 'oh crap, I've got the blurry vision mutation and I just got hit by a crystal spear. Should I risk reading a scroll again, or try and find another way out of this situation?' The way it works now is that you try to read a scroll of blinking, realize 'oh crap I forgot about blurry vision' then watch as your character gets hacked to pieces in the extra turn(s) it takes to read the scroll.

I don't think mutations should change the time it takes to do something fundamental like reading a scroll or quaffing a potion. It's great that those things all take the same amount of time, and very surprising if they don't.
Comborobin Admin

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 11th December 2014, 08:51

Re: Issues with new blurry vision

I'm disappointed that it works like you say, when I read the commit I imagined something like a "Reading" status that would just delay the scroll effect for a few turns and you could act as normal while it was happening.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th December 2014, 16:19

Depending on whether or not it stays, might want to record this into Interrupted Activities Reform.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th December 2014, 17:23

I haven't tried it myself yet, but didn't this commit address that already:

Code:
Allow cancelling out of blurry vision

In the same way as armour donning/doffing.

Not sure why this wasn't working before, but it seems to work now?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 11th December 2014, 17:35

Sar wrote:I haven't tried it myself yet, but didn't this commit address that already:

Code:
Allow cancelling out of blurry vision

In the same way as armour donning/doffing.

Not sure why this wasn't working before, but it seems to work now?

Ok, that does solve the problem! The blurry vision wasn't prompting as of early am Friday US eastern time, but it looks like the devs have the issue already in the works.

Hopefully that commit is now implemented, but if not it's a matter for mantis and not GDD. Thanks!
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th December 2014, 17:36

Sar wrote:I haven't tried it myself yet, but didn't this commit address that.

Probably. Cool!

Now if only interrupting eating large food could be handled somehow... {offtopic}
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 12th December 2014, 16:23

it could! we could remove food

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks:
archaeo

Return to Game Design Discussion