How can I get a fake ManMan account deleted?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 05:44

How can I get a fake ManMan account deleted?

A little back story: Not too long ago, I was watching one of Berder's games on crawl.s-z.org. When I first started spectating, people were talking about streaks, with Berder claiming that you could get the orb and stand on the dungeon entrance with 12 games on 12 different servers, exit them all at once and break the #10 all-time streak of 11 games. I mentioned jokingly that I was on my longest streak (5 games at that point) and that was "good to know." Then to prove a point about how streaks actually worked, HLA made his own ManMan account and posted this:

http://lazy-life.ddo.jp:8080/morgue/Man ... 195308.txt

This 'ctrl-q' HuFi is the only game on that server. This ended my streak, which is otherwise still active. Anyway, it's very frustrating to know that at any time, my streaks could be broken by a random account made on another server, so could someone let me know how I could get this deleted? And is there any way to get my streak fixed? It would be the longest streak I've ever had (6, going on 7) and I had my eyes on the top 10 board...

As a final remark, this also speaks to a larger problem: What if someone got competitive during a tournament, and started breaking the streaks of their competitors? It's best to address these security issues now, rather than during a tournament out of necessity.

For this message the author ManMan has received thanks:
SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 06:23

Re: How can I get a fake ManMan account deleted?

We were discussing this in crawl-dev yesterday. To be more clear, every player with a streak currently active at the time this person began their activities had an account created & then quit on LLD, temporarily "breaking" the streak.

This is not a big deal. Sequell et al are backed by databases, which we can edit as needed: the imposter quits will be erased, and the streaks will be restored.

The reason we have not done this yet is because of course someone could do it again, on LLD or on CXC or on CPO or on any server which you haven't registered. The solution is to set up a unified log-in system, with the same account working for every server, and then to erase the imposter games. We are working on this now, and will have it working sooner than later.

This exploit is something that could have been done from the moment the second official server was entered into Sequell, and honestly I'd be surprised if this was the first time someone's tried something like this; it's just easier now that there are so many servers, and so many players. Nonetheless, we are handling it; until then, keep tight.
Last edited by PleasingFungus on Friday, 26th December 2014, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, Brannock, ManMan, Moose, rockygargoyle, WalkerBoh, xentronium

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 06:33

Another short-term solution would be to not collapse scores from different servers. Most players I talk to rarely play on more than one server. Some kind of opt-in "join my accounts from these two servers" would probably serve for those cases
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 07:09

Siegurt wrote:Another short-term solution would be to not collapse scores from different servers. Most players I talk to rarely play on more than one server. Some kind of opt-in "join my accounts from these two servers" would probably serve for those cases

We talked about this. The problem is that doing that would break quite a lot of existing streaks, notably including the current longest one.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 13:59

To the lesser point raised by Berder, I'm fairly sure that streaks are set up such that a win only extends a streak if it was started after the previous win in the streak finished, so the "orb on the stairs w/ 12 chars" scheme does not work.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 16:09

Lasty wrote:To the lesser point raised by Berder, I'm fairly sure that streaks are set up such that a win only extends a streak if it was started after the previous win in the streak finished, so the "orb on the stairs w/ 12 chars" scheme does not work.

So if you have lets say 3 characters standing on the D:1 upstairs with the Orb on different servers and your 4th game has the situation '2 HP left, 2 orc priests in sight'.
If you do save that game and start another on different server or different version and get the Orb on D:1 in that game. Then climbing up with these 4 characters in a row wouldn't count as a streak?

I don't get why anyone would want to do this even if it did work.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 16:33

Lasty wrote:To the lesser point raised by Berder, I'm fairly sure that streaks are set up such that a win only extends a streak if it was started after the previous win in the streak finished, so the "orb on the stairs w/ 12 chars" scheme does not work.

This is not true for Sequell, and I do not believe it is true for the CAO scoring pages. For a Sequell streak you can indeed do what Berder proposed (unless this was changed recently).

Tournament streaks (for scoring) have additional checks.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 18:53

Ah, thanks, crate. I didn't realize there was a difference between the tournament and every-day Sequell streak scoring.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 20:48

And here I thought that HuFi game was that broke my streak was the server updating or something (remember streaks being temporarily broken awhile ago due to updating). Though in my case the point is moot since I lost a game soon after.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 20:52

PleasingFungus wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Another short-term solution would be to not collapse scores from different servers. Most players I talk to rarely play on more than one server. Some kind of opt-in "join my accounts from these two servers" would probably serve for those cases

We talked about this. The problem is that doing that would break quite a lot of existing streaks, notably including the current longest one.

An option to get around this would be to manually "opt-in" the joining of streakers who are on any kind of top score list, others can opt themselves in at their liesure.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 24th November 2015, 19:29

I just had the same thing done to me following a 4-streak during the tournament. Any way I can request to have the offending game deleted and to take over the fake account?

For this message the author setecastronomy has received thanks:
Rast

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner