CSDC S3 Week 7 - DsMo

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 03:42

CSDC S3 Week 7 - DsMo

Please use this thread for discussion of all things pertaining to Week 7 of Crawl Sudden Death Challenges Season 3.

Week 7: DsMo (Demonspawn Monk)

Tier I Bonus: Enter 4 branches before reaching XL 15 (1 pt).
Tier II Bonus: Enter 6 branches before reaching XL 15 (2 pts).
Tier III Bonus: Reach the end of 4 branches before reaching XL 15 (4 pts).
Tier IV Bonus: Collect your first rune without leaving that rune's branch. (6 pts).

Week 7 Gods: Makhleb, Cheibriados, Yredelemnul, Dithmenos

*Note: For the purpose of bonuses, "branch" means "multi-level branch, not including the main Dungeon".
Unless otherwise specified, you do not need to win the game to get points for the bonus challenges.

CSDC Season 3 Results and Standings

For a list of all currently running Week 7 games, go to ##crawl or ##csdc and type "!csdc wk7".
To view a player's current score for Week 7, go to ##csdc and type "$points <playername>" (minus the <>).

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 03:47

Re: CSDC S3 Week 7 - DsMo

Sandman25 wrote:Are the bonuses cumulative? I mean it is possible to get 13 points for all of them, right? Otherwise tier 4 is too easy, it is what most players do in their games.

The bonuses are scored the same way as the previous challenges. You get points for only the bonuses that you complete, but you do not have to do the Tier I to get the Tier II and so on.

Sorry that the week 7 announcement is a day late, I haven't had a chance to be on my computer since Thursday night. Good luck everyone!

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 03:55

So, the gloves are off (literally-speaking)?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 05:09

I'm assuming that getting the abyssal rune as your first rune invalidates the Tier IV bonus?
Comborobin Admin

LIX

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 06:49

Alright, so let's clear this up a bit.

before reaching XL 15

Wording here is different from week 5 which had similar bonuses, so you can rephrase it as "at XL 14 or lower".

Reach the end of 4 branches

According to the note below, D doesn't count for this bonus. This one is slightly counterintuitive because reaching the end of Dungeon gives you a weekly point for finishing branch.

Collect your first rune without leaving that rune's branch. (6 pts).

"That". So you can, say, enter Snake, get out, then enter Swamp, get decaying rune without leaving swamp and get this bonus. This is a bit confusing because on it's own this bonus is easier than T1 from week 1, but combined with other 3 it's hard enough I guess.

Is all this right? Am I understanding bonuses correctly?

And here's another question: how does Abyss work with all the bonuses?
Spoiler: show
TT: Where doing this man?
TG: yeah
TG: you could almost say
TG: where making this
TT: Go on.
TT: What is it where making this?
TG: TRANSPIRE
TG: B-)
TT: Excellent.
TT: Let's make shit take place.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 14:53

And that's it for me ... Good luck to everyone else on week 7, and especially to fearitself, who stopped by my game and said positive things even while watching my embarrassingly bad performance. The whole tournament was a disaster for me this time around -- not sure why ( well, aside from just being a generally lousy player, of course), but I just couldn't get anything going. Ah well, I'll still be one of the first in line to sign up for the next one. Thanks to all involved in setting it up, esp. WalkerBoh and Moose for the great scoreboard.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 16:03

Two deaths on D1: how the hell did i manage to do that? Thanks to the organizers for this great event, looking forward to the next one...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 16:55

Something wrong on CAO trunk. My game (brand new, saved) opens, but the screen doesn't change when I move or take actions, even though by message reports turns are taking place. To my astonishment, as I was thinking the browser was frozen, I was seeing messages about a goblin that I thought were themselves bugs, but it turns out that my unarmed 0 XP DsMo blindly encountered and killed it. I saved and rejoined, but the effect is the same. The character appears where he ended up, but again doesn't move from there. I also close my browser, cleared the cache and retried a third time to no effect.

This doesn't occur on 0.15, which I can play normally. This is the first time I've experienced this on trunk.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 17:06

Aule wrote:Something wrong on CAO trunk. My game (brand new, saved) opens, but the screen doesn't change when I move or take actions, even though by message reports turns are taking place. To my astonishment, as I was thinking the browser was frozen, I was seeing messages about a goblin that I thought were themselves bugs, but it turns out that my unarmed 0 XP DsMo blindly encountered and killed it. I saved and rejoined, but the effect is the same. The character appears where he ended up, but again doesn't move from there. I also close my browser, cleared the cache and retried a third time to no effect.

This doesn't occur on 0.15, which I can play normally. This is the first time I've experienced this on trunk.

Try contacting the server admin:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11548

For this message the author MrPlanck has received thanks:
Aule

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 17:49

I had the same problem on Firefox, works fine on Chrome, though

For this message the author leibowitz has received thanks:
Aule

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 23rd November 2014, 17:53

Aule wrote:Something wrong on CAO trunk. My game (brand new, saved) opens, but the screen doesn't change when I move or take actions, even though by message reports turns are taking place. To my astonishment, as I was thinking the browser was frozen, I was seeing messages about a goblin that I thought were themselves bugs, but it turns out that my unarmed 0 XP DsMo blindly encountered and killed it. I saved and rejoined, but the effect is the same. The character appears where he ended up, but again doesn't move from there. I also close my browser, cleared the cache and retried a third time to no effect.

This happened to me and I was able to fix it by adjusting the browser font size. (You can do so on the login page with the playerlist with Command/control + or-, then log into your game and see if it's working, I had to drop the font size down a notch.)

For this message the author cerealjynx has received thanks:
Aule

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 02:44

LIX wrote:
Reach the end of 4 branches

According to the note below, D doesn't count for this bonus. This one is slightly counterintuitive because reaching the end of Dungeon gives you a weekly point for finishing branch.

The note specifically mentions that D doesn't count "for the purposes of bonuses", so it should be clear. But either way, you're correct that reaching the end of the Dungeon does not count for the bonus. Realistically your options are any four of: Lair, Orc, Elf, Swamp/Spider/Snake/Shoals, Abyss.

LIX wrote:
Collect your first rune without leaving that rune's branch. (6 pts).

"That". So you can, say, enter Snake, get out, then enter Swamp, get decaying rune without leaving swamp and get this bonus. This is a bit confusing because on it's own this bonus is easier than T1 from week 1, but combined with other 3 it's hard enough I guess.

You're understanding correctly. Whichever rune you get first, you have to collect the rune before ever exiting that branch. It is not hard in and of itself, but in combination with the other bonuses it becomes quite difficult. Perhaps it would make sense for the Tier IV to require the Tier I-III, but I do not want to change it at this point since people have already begun their games.

LIX wrote:And here's another question: how does Abyss work with all the bonuses?

Like any other branch, it can be entered/ended for the Tier I-III and can count as the rune for the Tier IV.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 02:49

Also Xen has already finished his game, where he nailed all 4 bonuses: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Xen/morgue- ... 231847.txt

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 08:29

I think the scoring sheet has some bug. It shows that I completed the T1 bonus, while in reality I only entered Lair and Orc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 16:40

Code:
You finish putting on the +5 pair of boots "Naq Iwoq" {+Inv rF+ rC+ Slay+5}.
 d - a cursed +6 ring of slaying (left hand)
 e - a +6 ring of dexterity (right hand)

Whelp

EDIT: Just got deformed feet DS mutation :(
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 17:01

Does "end" mean get to the final floor or clear it? For example, am I allowed to dive Slime 6 and not kill TRJ?

EDIT: Also, too late for me, but please tell me Depths counts as a branch as far as entering before x15.
Last edited by TeshiAlair on Monday, 24th November 2014, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 17:05

That's just painful...
And I thought I had it bad when I got deformed feet with boots of running.
Comborobin Admin

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 24th November 2014, 20:29

took me until the last week but finally got a character going for a bit. decent mutations helped a lot and i should have gone on longer, but i'll take it.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 25th November 2014, 05:08

TeshiAlair wrote:Does "end" mean get to the final floor or clear it? For example, am I allowed to dive Slime 6 and not kill TRJ?

EDIT: Also, too late for me, but please tell me Depths counts as a branch as far as entering before x15.

End means "entering the final level of a branch". So as soon as you set foot in Slime:6 you get the branch end point.

And yes, Depths counts as a branch you can enter.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 25th November 2014, 09:32

McGeekster decided to YOLO and try to kill an iguana. The funny thing is, I don't do stupid stuff like this when I'm playing offline. I actually get somewhat close to winning a few games. Oh well. My day will come soon. I can feel it...
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
~380,000 (with wrapper on)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 25th November 2014, 15:11

[/quote]
MrPlanck wrote:

Try contacting the server admin:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11548

Well, several days have passed with no response, so I tried that.

cerealjynx wrote:This happened to me and I was able to fix it by adjusting the browser font size. (You can do so on the login page with the playerlist with Command/control + or-, then log into your game and see if it's working, I had to drop the font size down a notch.)

This does work, but it's pretty large on my screen.

Is there a fix for this in the works? I browsed Mantis to look but I didn't see anything that resembled this issue.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 02:14

For clarity, this wasn't a tournament character because I didn't sign up for this season - I just felt like trying this combo because I like it. So my DsMo:

Nearly died to a kobold with an enchanted (unbranded) dagger as well as a hobgoblin (separate times) on d:1, had to a lot of kiting to regenerate.
Had some trouble with two D:2 adders - led them upstairs and killed them on d:1 in a corridor, but was poisoned down to around 5/24 health. A kobold with a short sword of venom did a lot of damage later on d:2, but immediately after killing it I found a ring of poison resistance, so say good bye to this problem. Found the new unique robin and killed her (which I think, if I understand scoring, would have been my only point).

Probably should have died on D:3 trying to fight an ogre, but escaped with 2 health. Had a gargoyle player ghost chase me back to the stairs, by which time I had regenerated up to 9 hp, and the ghost hit me down to 3 while going up the stairs.

Ran into natasha, ducked into a corridor, but it was a short one which was open on both sides, so a white imp went behind me and trapped me in. Hit natasha a few times, down to roughly half, but I was below half. Had a stack of 4 un-id’ed potions, and figured they’d likely be curing or heal wounds, so I quaffed one. It was brilliance. Last turn I tried quaffing another potion (the rest of my potions were all single potions) and got might, then died. Doh. I had such high hopes for a powerful combo. My mutations were antenna and brown scales at this point.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/tasonir/mor ... 020647.txt

For the early stages of the game, what body armor would you consider ideal? Ie, +0 robe vs +0 leather up to +0 plate. I think ring mail is probably ideal, it's what I was using, but I could see leather/scale also. Any other personal perferences?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 02:49

My personal preference for the early game is to wear the heaviest armor possible and forget about EV unless I'm going to be casting spells.
Comborobin Admin

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 11:55

xentronium wrote:My personal preference for the early game is to wear the heaviest armor possible and forget about EV unless I'm going to be casting spells.

If this is correct most of the time, I'm not sure it's a good idea whaen going unarmed... EV loss is nothing compared to attack rate increase...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 18:04

tasonir wrote:For the early stages of the game, what body armor would you consider ideal? Ie, +0 robe vs +0 leather up to +0 plate. I think ring mail is probably ideal, it's what I was using, but I could see leather/scale also. Any other personal perferences?

for this combo with UC ringmail feels like the best compromise, i might go lighter if i'm getting ac from other pieces/rings/mut, but i'm not going any heavier at +0 ench
king of double damage

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 18:13

DrKe wrote:
tasonir wrote:For the early stages of the game, what body armor would you consider ideal? Ie, +0 robe vs +0 leather up to +0 plate. I think ring mail is probably ideal, it's what I was using, but I could see leather/scale also. Any other personal perferences?

for this combo with UC ringmail feels like the best compromise, i might go lighter if i'm getting ac from other pieces/rings/mut, but i'm not going any heavier at +0 ench

Congrats on winning the season!

Fun fact: the maximum of points is 91 (5*10 + 20 + 3+3+3+5+7), and DrKe got 92 points :D

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 26th November 2014, 21:40

He didn't have the season highscore

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 00:33

Magipi wrote:Fun fact: the maximum of points is 91 (5*10 + 20 + 3+3+3+5+7), and DrKe got 92 points :D

The max score was 97 pts for the season. Still pretty damn impressive.

LIX

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 03:28

There's a bug with the scoreboard. I missed T4 on the last week, but it still gives me points for it.
Spoiler: show
TT: Where doing this man?
TG: yeah
TG: you could almost say
TG: where making this
TT: Go on.
TT: What is it where making this?
TG: TRANSPIRE
TG: B-)
TT: Excellent.
TT: Let's make shit take place.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 03:38

You're right, you definitely should not get the Tier IV points. Moose, can you look into it?

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 27th November 2014, 22:31

I probably should've waited longer to play my game, but zooty played very well regardless as I couldn't have won without the lowturn points
king of double damage

Return to The Dart Board