DC performance issues

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 01:42

DC performance issues

Hi, I'm just DLed dungeon crawl and it runs really laggy. I don't see it taking up much comp. resources so, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to do about this? also if someone could tell me how to get it to show the amount of turns in-game, I'd appreciate it.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 03:30

Re: DC performance issues

the option for showing turns is show_gold_turns (set it to true; it also shows gold)

For this message the author MrMisterMonkey has received thanks:
Phlarb

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 03:40

I'm running tiles.

A friend showed me the the game and console looks way different from what i saw. and thats why im asking about the turns being shown because they arnt..

I told myself i wouldnt get it after dieing so many times, lol( I like the VpNe ). but its so addicting!

right, thanks MrMrMonkey... where and how do i put that in? > :D newbie here< But my primary concern is the lag...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 03:52

you want to put the "show_gold_turns = true" somewhere in your rcfile; by default that should be ~/.crawlrc on unix-likes and init.txt (though I don't know where) on windows

As for the lag, if that's 0.8, it might be the same issue as https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=3160 (though I play console online so I don't really know much about tiles/lag)

For this message the author MrMisterMonkey has received thanks:
Phlarb

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 03:59

um thanks monkey for that. I understood almost none of it. lol. but thanks. as far as i can tell its 0.7.1. any and all input or tidbits would still be appreciated.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 07:49

Some crappy video cards don't work well with the graphics library that DCSS has used since 0.5. Download version 0.4.5 and see if that runs faster.

While you're running that version, try a heavy-armoured berserker and find an amulet of resist slowing!

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
Phlarb

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 10:59

Dungeon Crawl uses OpenGL for rendering tiles. Very slow game usually means software rendering. Try installing decent graphic drivers.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Phlarb

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 22:40

Thanks everyone, its now running perfect. now if someone could dumb down what monkey said?

MrMisterMonkey wrote:you want to put the "show_gold_turns = true" somewhere in your rcfile; by default that should be ~/.crawlrc on unix-likes and init.txt (though I don't know where) on windows

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 23:29

Phlarb wrote:Thanks everyone, its now running perfect. now if someone could dumb down what monkey said?

MrMisterMonkey wrote:you want to put the "show_gold_turns = true" somewhere in your rcfile; by default that should be ~/.crawlrc on unix-likes and init.txt (though I don't know where) on windows

Somewhere in the folder where you installed Crawl, there should be a file called init.txt. Open that file in Notepad and make sure it contains the text "show_gold_turns = true"

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 16:56

I've just started using todays 0.8 windows tiles build instead of a build dated from just after Christmas, the performance seems to have taken a big hit, auto explore runs at about half the speed now and levels with lava/steam almost make it grind to a halt, anyone else notice this?

I run on an intel dual core 2ghz pc with 4 gb ram and nvidia ion graphics (the graphics card isn't great, but it was previously good enough!).

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 17:13

Hmm, seems to be caused the new command tab/button icons. The version without it runs fine.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 21:39

Can you give the exact version number of the build that gives you slowdown? I made a lot of changes to the detached tabs yesterday (0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f), and I quickly tested and explored 4 levels, with all the default tabs and didn't experience any slowdown.
In the latest build, I added a tile_layout_priority option. By editing it, you can disable any or all detached tabs. If you keep experiencing slow down, please try to find out which one of the tab is causing it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 22:39

galehar wrote:Can you give the exact version number of the build that gives you slowdown? I made a lot of changes to the detached tabs yesterday (0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f), and I quickly tested and explored 4 levels, with all the default tabs and didn't experience any slowdown.
In the latest build, I added a tile_layout_priority option. By editing it, you can disable any or all detached tabs. If you keep experiencing slow down, please try to find out which one of the tab is causing it.

Hm, I downloaded this version and the game still starts lagging after a while. I went into the tiles.txt and removed from th tile_layout_priority monster, spell and gold_turns or whatever is their exact name, yet when I start the game these tabs still appear there. Am I just not getting something here?

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 23:57

Jenx, you must remove the # from the beginning of the line.

I experience slow-down on 0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f, but removing "command" from the tile_layout_priority option seems to have fixed it. Need to test more as I died shortly after reloading my save!

For this message the author Regnix has received thanks:
Jenx

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 02:19

I had bad slowdown too, using tiles-0.8.0-a0-4377-g2e00b12. However, now that I switched to tiles-0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f, it's gone. Even with the new command console present.

I have similar stats to Regnix, except I have a GeForce 9400, and Windows 7.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 12:08

I've done more testing today, and I can confirm that, removing "command" from tile_layout_priority on version 0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f (windows 7, tiles) has fixed my performance issues.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 12:10

Regnix wrote:I've done more testing today, and I can confirm that, removing "command" from tile_layout_priority on version 0.8.0-a0-4390-gc2f102f (windows 7, tiles) has fixed my performance issues.

Seconding this. Once you remove command the game runs smoothly even on levels with water and lots of enemies moving around.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 12:58

OK, thanks all for your feedback. I've disabled detaching the command tab by default until we fix it.

Return to Technical Support