Ironic retention of spam posts

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 02:47

Ironic retention of spam posts

Hey everyone, this came up in a CYC thread and I think it is worth discussing seriously in the appropriate forum. This is from this thread in CYC: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14011, which obviously began as a spambot post. The spambot has been banned but I retained the thread upon a poster's request.

duvessa wrote:Okay, maybe this is just me, but I really don't like the Tavern policy of leaving spam threads and just editing out the links, and don't think it's a healthy policy for an Internet forum.
1. It makes the forum's moderation team look less active than it actually is. If you see a thread called "Cellphone Signal Jammer" sticking around for days on a forum, it's a pretty obvious conclusion to make that the moderators are either inactive or don't give a shit. Do you specifically want users to have a worse perception of your forum than they should? Yes, if they click on the topic and read it they'll find out that it actually was "dealt with", but why would they bother when it's clearly a spam topic? What could possibly be a less interesting topic to click on?
2. Let's say, against all odds, that users actually are discussing something worthwhile in the spam topic. In this case, it's hard to find, because it's in a topic with a useless spam title. Wouldn't you be better off providing one "Post Random Drivel" topic instead of having a new non-descriptively-titled topic every time a spambot shows up and someone replies with a joke before a moderator gets to it?
3. I'm willing to bet that editing out the links has absolutely no effect for forum users. Users already know not to follow those links, this isn't your grandparents' email inbox. All it does is indicate to me that you were willing to put in the effort required to delete the post or move it to the trash and get rid of the clutter on the subforum page and "show unread posts", but decided not to actually do it because you think it's funny or something.

duvessa brings up some good points, and I'll start this off by saying that I don't retain most spam threads, usually, but some people on Tavern do enjoy posting silly stuff in them and I'm (obviously) not above having some fun with them on occasion, too.

Me or some other mod will delete *most* spam threads. There were three or four this morning (they usually come in short spurts like that) and I deleted all of them except for one, because someone had posted that they wanted to goof around in the spam thread a bit, so I moved it to CYC and just deleted the link (no free advertising even "ironically") and banned the username and IP address for gavinrochford.

But, if posters think that retaining even just the text of any spam post is bad policy, that's worth discussing. Aside from what duvessa brings up, there's (maybe?) some very small possibility that being less than 100% aggressive in deleting spam posts will make Tavern a more appealing target. (I don't know if that's the case; not trying to be alarmist, I just do not know one way or the other about what algorithms and criteria go into spam targeting.)

At any rate, cheesy or over-serious though this may sound, we mods do just try to act as enforcers of the Tavern community's standards when it comes to moderating, rather than imposing our own. If me or any other mod becomes convinced that a "100% delete with prejudice" policy is better for Tavern, then we'll switch to doing that.

Thoughts?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 03:13

Re: Ironic retention of spam posts

the solution is to give me mod powers over only these types of threads. that way i can edit the titles and the post so better suit my own desires and wants. this is my serious reply
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 09:53

Spell proposal: graffitti

Any user can edit posts flagged as spam by the mods. The thread then gets automatically obliterated in 24 hours, or (spellcasting+moderation)/2 hours, whichever is shortest. Only affects posts with crazy yiuf holiness.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 12:02

I've found some of the replies to spam posts amusing. With regards to duvessa's first concern, could spam posts not just get some sort of flag in their title to indicate they are being kept around for humor's sake? (i.e. "SPAM: Cellphone Jammer"). The second point is true of any thread that changes topic--witness twelwe's "how do we get more girls to play crawl" thread changing into a serious discussion of race/gender while keeping its title.

For this message the author all before has received thanks:
and into

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 12:21

and into: duvessa is right. Keeping (some of) these postings is fun for few, but pointless noise for the majority, so they should be culled.

People are always free to make their own, hand-crafted, spam-alike posts in CYC anyway, which is clearly superior to machine-generated, anonymous spam!
I should start such a topic with a question: "Is it good if posters --let alone moderators-- use nicks that are words instead of names?" And into CYC with this...

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
and into

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 13:16

my nick is the name of a word
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:03

dpeg wrote:and into: duvessa is right. Keeping (some of) these postings is fun for few, but pointless noise for the majority, so they should be culled.

People are always free to make their own, hand-crafted, spam-alike posts in CYC anyway, which is clearly superior to machine-generated, anonymous spam!
I should start such a topic with a question: "Is it good if posters --let alone moderators-- use nicks that are words instead of names?" And into CYC with this...

You've xuaxua'd the thread into xuaxua.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 19:37

Fair enough. The current thread open in CYC I will leave as the last of its species; it can die a natural death. All further spam threads and posts will be deleted upon sight by moderators, as a matter of policy.

Return to Suggestions & Criticism