holy launchers

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 16:00

holy launchers

Can these be generated in the game, or is it only possible to obtain through TSO?
Mangled by Mennas

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 17:12

Re: holy launchers

The latter

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 17:38

I was suspecting so, but never understood why that is.
If melee weapons can be generated with holy brand, why not launchers as well?

Seems unfair that Demigods can never obtain a holy launcher.
Mangled by Mennas

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 21:04

I'm of the opinion that HW should be removed entirely outside of TSO's blessing.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 08:35

Greyr wrote:I'm of the opinion that HW should be removed entirely outside of TSO's blessing.

I disagree. Having a trivial monster whack you with a HW weapon when you are vulnerable to it makes the game that much more interesting. Keeping an eye on the brands that are used against you should be kept relevant. Also one of Ashes features is warning about dangerous weapons in the hands of your enemies.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 09:22

Greyr wrote:I'm of the opinion that HW should be removed entirely outside of TSO's blessing.

Well that would be more consistent.
Either you can get it ONLY through TSO, or ANY weapon type should have a chance of being generated with the brand, not only melee.
Mangled by Mennas

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 10:27

Considering its additive and not multiplicative, who cares? A vorpal launcher is going to outshine it most of the time, right? And then you can stack it with say freezing/flaming/penetrative ammo or whatnot.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 10:30

Holy wrath is and always was multiplicative, it was great in old ranged (one-shotting balrgus woo) and is probably great in new ranged as well.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 11:07

daggaz wrote:A vorpal launcher is going to outshine it most of the time, right?

Well yes, unless you go for the extended.
Mangled by Mennas

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 12:07

Sar wrote:Holy wrath is and always was multiplicative, it was great in old ranged (one-shotting balrgus woo) and is probably great in new ranged as well.

:? Huh. Color me wrong, have gone around this whole time thinking it was an additive.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 12:12

Adds 75% damage on average (flame/freeze adds 25%, to compare). Pretty good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 14:24

MrRokkomies wrote:

I disagree. Having a trivial monster whack you with a HW weapon when you are vulnerable to it makes the game that much more interesting. Keeping an eye on the brands that are used against you should be kept relevant. Also one of Ashes features is warning about dangerous weapons in the hands of your enemies.

We can have monsters with holy weapon but still unable to use such weapon as player. Or even better:
"Kikubaaqudgha will get angry if you wield the holy weapon. Your current god (Okawaru) cannot protect you from the wrath. Really wield it? y/N"
If you insist on wielding the weapon, you experience the same consequences as if you have just abandoned Kikubaaqudgha. The warning does not happen for players with TSO/Zin/Ely.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 14:31

Why would Kiku ever get angry at a holy weapon? Kiku's chill.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 14:33

Sandman25 just took the no.1 "most post" position. congrats.

And that's a bad idea, seems like weird special case, besides Kik's in the same pantheon as TSO, s/he wouldn't care that much about a weapon an okawarian is wielding.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks: 2
and into, Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 14:43

MrRokkomies wrote:

Well the problem with that is the same could've been said for the Orc/dragon slaying and disruption brand. Which, as you know, are now artifact exclusive.

In most cases a HW branded weapon won't kill an undead player directly- bad playing will. HW acts as a "I'll hold on until this for later" weapon. Not really interesting or svelte design wise to have one brand that is only interesting (<used loosely) 15% of the time and only useful for optional content of the game.

Idk, it seems clunky to me
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 16:32

guys it's not like demons and the undead are exclusive to extended...
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

For this message the author Psiweapon has received thanks:
damiac

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 17:07

1010011010 wrote:Sandman25 just took the no.1 "most post" position. congrats.

And that's a bad idea, seems like weird special case, besides Kik's in the same pantheon as TSO, s/he wouldn't care that much about a weapon an okawarian is wielding.

Spoiler: show
Although, to be fair, I think minmay would be number 1, if not for... The incident...

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 17:14

and into wrote:

Although, to be fair, I think minmay would be number 1, if not for... The incident...

You've just made me a bit happier. I don't like that I spend so much time on crawl but I do have an excuse that I am alone in a foreign country for more than an year (with 1.5 months break) and I feel lack of communication in real life

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 20:25

-deleted-

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 02:07

and into wrote:

I still wonder WTF happened there.

But anyhow, you've got a ways to catch crate. And I think Grimm is still quite a ways on top of the heap.

/me pours a sip on the concrete :cry:
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 03:22

You think melee weapons, but not launchers, generating with holy wrath is bad? How about this:
- Maces, great maces, flails, dire flails, and hammers all get the same brands. Morningstars, however, get those brands plus an extra chance of getting venom/flaming/freezing/vampiric if they fail to roll a brand.
- Falchions, long swords, and scimitars have a chance of getting the pain brand; other non-demon long blades do not. Falchions and long swords - but not scimitars - have a chance of getting venom.
- All axes can get holy wrath or draining...except for hand axes.
- All polearms can get holy wrath or protection...except for spears.
- Whips (not demon whips) have a completely different brand roll from any other weapon.
- Launchers other than blowguns always get the same brand roll, unless it's a triple crossbow, in which case the chance of getting a brand is doubled.
- Daggers, but not short swords and rapiers, can generate with pain. Short swords and rapiers can generate with venom, however, daggers have an extra chance of getting venom if they don't roll another brand.
- Quarterstaves, like whips, have a completely different brand roll from any other weapon.
- So do lajatangs. No, it's nothing like the quarterstaff one.
- Finally, all of this can be upended if the weapon was generated as equipment for certain monsters. You probably know Pikel gets flaming/freezing/elec, Sonja gets distortion/venom/draining, Psyche gets chaos/distortion, and Crazy Yiuf get chaos. If you pay close attention you might notice naga ritualists always have venom weapons. But did you know that wights and Norris have a 1/10 chance of their weapon being forced to freezing, even though some of their weapons can't even generate with freezing normally? Margery and hell knights have a 44% chance of keeping the weapon's original brand, and a 56% chance of completely rerolling it on a special brand list that isn't used for any weapon anywhere else. The Enchantress has a special 1/6 chance of overwriting the weapon's brand with distortion. Ancient champions, similar to Margery, have a 66% chance of completely rerolling the weapon's brand with a different special brand list that isn't used for anything anywhere else. 1 out of every 100 chaos champions has a chaos weapon. And I left a bunch of stuff out of this list.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 19
crate, eeviac, Galefury, Lasty, lucy_ferre, nago, njvack, Rast, tedric, XuaXua and 9 more users

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 03:26

^ So many things not just clustering illusions, for once....

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:00

I wonder what the rationale behind all that wacky decision-making is?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:01

there isn't one

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rockygargoyle

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:13

I don't see the problem with duvessa's list of brands. This doesn't strike me as an area where consistency matters. With launchers I at least sometimes will think about making a decision based on available egos, but I don't think I've ever made my melee weapon decision on the basis of what brands were possible on specific weapons. (EDIT: well, maybe lajatangs, but those are already awesome.) Further, between brand weapon and randarts, it seems like there are already sources that can lead to unusual brands for certain weapon types, so I don't really see why having things like Margery or the Enchantress getting special rolls is a problem.
Last edited by ackack on Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author ackack has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:23

I see several problems:
1) some players might waste scrolls of brand weapon trying to get speed on executioner's axe or other weapon where it is impossible to get speed
2) some monsters having higher chance of chaos/distortion really rewards players who read spoilers. Clustering illusion makes learning it from the game hard.
3) As a book background I check weapons trying to find protection brand, it is very useful to know that spear cannot have protection.
4) The same with pain, I often look for pain brand on short swords (where they cannot generate) but all I can get is to waste scrolls of remove curse (if I don't care about distortion).
I am sure there are more problems.

Edit. Or is it possible to get speed from branding executioner's axe?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 15:41

Scroll of brand weapon doesn't take weapon type into account, and it doesn't give you speed either.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Sandman25

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 16:50

Well, it does check whether the weapon is ranged, since those won't get draining, vamp or protection, but can get evasion instead (and have slightly different weights).

duvessa wrote:You think melee weapons, but not launchers, generating with holy wrath is bad? How about this:
- Maces, great maces, flails, dire flails, and hammers all get the same brands. Morningstars, however, get those brands plus an extra chance of getting venom/flaming/freezing/vampiric if they fail to roll a brand.
- Falchions, long swords, and scimitars have a chance of getting the pain brand; other non-demon long blades do not. Falchions and long swords - but not scimitars - have a chance of getting venom.
- All axes can get holy wrath or draining...except for hand axes.
- All polearms can get holy wrath or protection...except for spears.
- Whips (not demon whips) have a completely different brand roll from any other weapon.
- Launchers other than blowguns always get the same brand roll, unless it's a triple crossbow, in which case the chance of getting a brand is doubled.
- Daggers, but not short swords and rapiers, can generate with pain. Short swords and rapiers can generate with venom, however, daggers have an extra chance of getting venom if they don't roll another brand.
- Quarterstaves, like whips, have a completely different brand roll from any other weapon.
- So do lajatangs. No, it's nothing like the quarterstaff one.
- Finally, all of this can be upended if the weapon was generated as equipment for certain monsters. You probably know Pikel gets flaming/freezing/elec, Sonja gets distortion/venom/draining, Psyche gets chaos/distortion, and Crazy Yiuf get chaos. If you pay close attention you might notice naga ritualists always have venom weapons. But did you know that wights and Norris have a 1/10 chance of their weapon being forced to freezing, even though some of their weapons can't even generate with freezing normally? Margery and hell knights have a 44% chance of keeping the weapon's original brand, and a 56% chance of completely rerolling it on a special brand list that isn't used for any weapon anywhere else. The Enchantress has a special 1/6 chance of overwriting the weapon's brand with distortion. Ancient champions, similar to Margery, have a 66% chance of completely rerolling the weapon's brand with a different special brand list that isn't used for anything anywhere else. 1 out of every 100 chaos champions has a chaos weapon. And I left a bunch of stuff out of this list.

It may be worth mentioning that's the state of affairs after a recent (3-4 weeks ago) tweaks/refactoring of the brand generation code.

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 16:59

stickyfingers wrote:It may be worth mentioning that's the state of affairs after a recent (3-4 weeks ago) tweaks/refactoring of the brand generation code.

Is rationale posted on the git patches? Some of those seem really arbitrary.

Of course, if this is ever generalized, cue the cries of "MUH FLAVOR!" from the audience.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 17:53

It was like this before, some minor things were changed. History of the file in question: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... b2;hb=HEAD

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 23:04

I had actually noticed that wights get freezing weapons pretty often. And Hell Knights seemed special. And uniques (I mean, of *course* Yiuf). And of course, fire/frost giants have their special swords and axes.

I'm not saying this is good or bad design, but even unspoiled and with a relatively small number of games under my belt, I kinda knew that different monsters had different loot tables, and that different weapons had different branding tables. To me, this feels fairly harmless and, dare I say, flavorful.

I think Brand Weapon should have at least a vanishingly small chance of every brand.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 05:17

this + more unique holy weps like trishula/scourge
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 12:34

What I would like to know: which weapon types has a chance to generate with distortion (on the ground, not in the hand of a monster)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 20:00

On the ground, all melee weapons that can get a brand at all can get distortion except for demon weapons which cannot.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 20:09

Other than the code not allowing for it, why can't demon weapons start with distortion?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 23:48

crate wrote:there isn't one

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th November 2014, 08:04

some brands are just less desirable than other and some can even be detrimental in some cases, if i ever find a demon longsword on the ground on a longsword using character i'm certainly going to prefer almost any other brand o it than the one that makes enemies blink away from me.

i think some of the things in the list are there just to reduce the chanche of my rare loot to suck... or for common stuff to be better than intended. Like triple crossbows having a lower chanche to be unbranded compared to more mundane launchers.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice