Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 10:43

Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Well, for now, overrated shit I hate, unless anyone wants to chime in.

Feel free to discuss overrated shit you hate, and to tell me how very, very, very wrong I am. This is CYC, afer all.

Inspired by Sar.

Literature:

Lord of the rings - I can't even read this shit. Macho-corny. I can't fucking care about the first dewdrop over the most tender straw of grass in a meadow full of frolicking elves. Also, tom bombadil. To add insult to injury, the songs.

Steppenwolf - I did read this shit, much to my un-enjoyment. Romantic. Deep-felt. Intensely emetic. I've tried my best for years NOT to empathize with this sort of characters or narratives. Would have been a lot better if the main character (can't remember the name if it's given) did indeed commit suicide and turned it into a short story.

Videogames:

the Metal Gear franchise - Ugh. Macho-corny again. At least this one is more homoerotic and has lots of foe-yay - probably the only aspect worth saving. Pointless mindfucks and pitiful war-scarred characters I don't want to hear. I've tried playing some of them, but unless it's with a buddy they're completely boring.

Counter Strike - I used to play the original half-life mod back in the heyday of gaming ciber-cafés where I live. And you know what? My money was way better spent playing other games where you didn't have to wait 5000 hours until the next round doing nothing if you weren't on par with the rest of the people. I did play though, when nobody was up for playing anything else. Quake III, Half-Life or Soldier of Fortune were way better shooters unless you were some sort of military apparel buff (which I'm not)

the Tekken franchise - I played this too, mostly 3 and 5. Slow, cumbersome, weird controls, inane characters. Still fun with friends, though, but about as much as any other fighting game that's not a total turd. I do confess that I have beaten Jinpachi several times over (most of the time by spamming a single blow), and I must admit that funny endings are funny.

Anime:

Naruto - The one time I actively tried to watch it, I fell asleep. Because "Ninja" is an excuse for anything, even for not-ninja. Talk about devalued words.

Bleach - What the hell is this. A sloppy mess of bland mythology. The manga is somewhat better, even if I don't like it, it's readable and the author knows his way around both fun and drama. If anyone could explain to me WHERE THE FUCK DOES THE NAME COME FROM, they'd lift a weight from my shoulders.

Western comics:

Death, from The Sandman - For reasons to hate "The High Cost of Living" see the entry on Steppenwolf. It's an exercise in self-pity. The character itself in the main series isn't particularly bad, but neither is it the charismatic star some fans want to make it. "The Time of your Life" is somewhat better, even if only because it covers homosexuality issues, but not worth dying over either.

Philosophy

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel - A great upside-down pyramid of distilled nonsense carefully balanced on the tip of the nose of a madman with cybernetic life support from the state and the academia. Fuck, no.

Martin Heidegger - The guy who actively and confessedly didn't want to make sense or be understood, because it's not the speaker's responsibility to be clear or make themselves understood, it's the listener's responsibility to "keep the ear attentive to what the being tells us" or some such other nonsense, and because being intelligible is sucide for philosophy (says he). The guy butchered words, interpretated older writers by the brown seat of his pants, and all-around spouted gibberish out of his facial butthole. I would seriously order the burning of all his books and condemn him to damnatio memoriae were I in any position to do so. Or at the very least forbid teaching of his life and works in any sort of institution.

to be updated whenever I remember about anything else from the bunch of overrated shit I hate
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 12:21

Re: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Psiweapon wrote:Death, from The Sandman

you have bad taste. the concept of a likeable and motherly (is that a word?) Grim Reaper, responsible for the lives of everyone since birth is incredible, and Gaiman's storytelling makes so that she can touch people deeply. when my mother died, earlier this year, I found solace in his idea of death. not scary, but natural. not the destruction of the being, but rather the end of the natural cycle, and what gives meaning to life itself. :geek:
she is also absolutely beautiful.
Spoiler: show
naruto and bleach ARE awful tho. most Shonen are. naruto is a ninja in orange clothes, that loves drawing attention. makes me want to give him a friendly shotgun blast to the face.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 12:53

Hirsch I wrote:

you have bad taste. the concept of a likeable and motherly (is that a word?) Grim Reaper, responsible for the lives of everyone since birth is incredible, and Gaiman's storytelling makes so that she can touch people deeply. when my mother died, earlier this year, I found solace in his idea of death. not scary, but natural. not the destruction of the being, but rather the end of the natural cycle, and what gives meaning to life itself. :geek:
she is also absolutely beautiful.
naruto and bleach ARE awful tho. most Shonen are. naruto is a ninja in orange clothes, that loves drawing attention. makes me want to give him a friendly shotgun blast to the face.

I'm mostly talking about the standalone Death stories, especially High Cost of Living -mostly because of Sexton Furnival- and the character is indeed a very novel take on the grim reaper. My condolences for your loss, and I'm glad that you could find comfort in a comic-book. Still, I find the character a bit overrated by the fandom, usually for little reason other than "hawt gothic guurrrlll" (both boys and girls) and I like her a lot more when she appears in the main series.

On the other hand, I don't have any delusions of good taste :D
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 13:16

Psiweapon wrote:
Hirsch I wrote:

you have bad taste.

I'm mostly talking about the standalone Death stories, especially High Cost of Living -mostly because of Sexton Furnival- and BLAH BLAH BLAH

Hey Hirsch I, at least he read it (gave it a chance) before judging it. Can't fault him there.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 13:47

XuaXua wrote:[loadsaquotes]

Hey Hirsch I, at least he read it (gave it a chance) before judging it. Can't fault him there.

I don't really think he was blaming me of anything, he was defending a character and series he likes, and with good basis. My bad taste is actually a fact, but I do consider "taste" and "aesthetical judgement" separate things - you can like something you and be perfectly aware it is atrocious, and the opposite: dislike something you can't but recognize it's good, or at least be able to point out its virtues.

But yes, I have read Sandman and the two death books, I even have one of them now (a hand-me-down, the one I like the least). I also read Lucifer and most of the Book of Magic, Eternal Nights, not really sure if anything else.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 14:39

Psiweapon wrote:Lord of the rings

you have bad taste.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 14:45

Is it just me, or was 90% of the LoTR series just Tolkien just talking about walking somewhere. That dude had a hard-on for cardinal directions.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, damiac, Psiweapon, rockygargoyle, ZipZipskins

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 15:18

Reading Anthony Bourdain just does not make me hungry. Quite the opposite.

I'm fucking a hippie girl and eating some snakes. I'm better than my brother.

Got his book as a christmas present 10 years ago. Not inspirational. Not funny. Burned it.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 15:20

Lord of the rings - Have you read past Tom Bombadil or can you literally not read it? Once you get past him things get better, and once you get through the fellowship it really starts to pick up. It took me years and like a dozen attempts to get through Tom fucking Bombadil but it was well worth it in the end.

I gotta say I've always found The Dark Knight to be overrated. Though I don't hate it I hardly think its the masterpiece people make it out to be.

For this message the author phobetor has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 16:36

Step dads are also overrated *hairflip*
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 16:41

I have read LOTR tons and tons of times, in fact I'm reading it right now.

I have a soft spot for it, especially just for the sense of adventure, wandering long distances in a fantastical landscape.

However, it is damn corny in a lot of ways. And I just skip over the songs... they're brutal, and I don't even know how half of them could be put to a tune.
The dialog is also pretty bad in a lot of ways.

So I totally don't blame you for saying it's overrated, but I love it anyway.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 21:36

Out of all the things you enumerated, the only one even passingly familiar with is JRR, and I tried to watch one of his movies once, and it was three tortuous hours of:

OH noes!! The dwarves are in trouble again

-- followed by --

deus ex machina.

over and over and over and over again. People eat that shit up ... why?

For this message the author Moose has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 21:55

BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:25

You aren't wrong. Opinions can't be wrong since they contain no facts or untruths. They may be informed by totally stupid or wrong beliefs but that is the nature of opinions. As the nature of taste is that only some will share it with you.

I don't think the things you dislike mark you as weird in any way. If everyone liked the same things, life would be boring indeed.

Also re your game choices for stuff to hate? I am mostly in agreement. Though Metal Gear Solid Snake was fun to play (and had an interesting bit about positioning being crucial). Tekken was also fun in a cheesy way especially the non-arcade versions. But it was definitely way overrated.
Last edited by Hopeless on Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:28

Hopeless sounds like my grandfather.
I like my grandfather, so thats good.
EDIT: oh, and I think Star Wars is awful. and chronicles of narnia made me want to punch myself for wasting time with that shit.
Last edited by Hirsch I on Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

Greyr

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:30

Hirsch I wrote:Hopeless sounds like my grandfather.

Hirsch I, I am going to be discussing your punishment with your parents for breaking my cover.

Regards,
Grandpa

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:31

aw, man... I'm in so much trouble.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:38

And they will most certainly not appreciate a smoking animal.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 00:24

phobetor wrote:Lord of the rings - Have you read past Tom Bombadil or can you literally not read it? Once you get past him things get better, and once you get through the fellowship it really starts to pick up. It took me years and like a dozen attempts to get through Tom fucking Bombadil but it was well worth it in the end.

I gotta say I've always found The Dark Knight to be overrated. Though I don't hate it I hardly think its the masterpiece people make it out to be.

Literally can't. Tried five times. Long ago (like 12 years ago last time). Tom bombadil marks the point where my interest, stretched thin, reaches the breaking point and snaps. The fact that everything else before can be summed up as: Birthday party, eavesdropping, party with the elves, spooky nazgûl, let's move to a different house, spooky nazgûl doesn't really help. The only two scenes I like are the birthday party and the part with an ancient burial mound of some evil thing other than a nazgûl. I don't completely overrule trying it again at some point in time but definitely not in the near future.

I *did* like the Hobbit, nonsensical final megabattle and all; and I even liked the silmarillion and the creation myths, the sun and moon lamps, the trees of light and whatnot.

I haven't seen The Dark Knight, IIRC I have only seen the old batman movies, Joker and Penguin/Catwoman. Oh wait, I did see "batman begins" too.

damiac wrote:I have read LOTR tons and tons of times, in fact I'm reading it right now.

I have a soft spot for it, especially just for the sense of adventure, wandering long distances in a fantastical landscape.

However, it is damn corny in a lot of ways. And I just skip over the songs... they're brutal, and I don't even know how half of them could be put to a tune.
The dialog is also pretty bad in a lot of ways.

So I totally don't blame you for saying it's overrated, but I love it anyway.

You don't do a bad job of selling it to a lotr-skeptic, actually :)

duvessa wrote:BORN IN THE WRONG GENERATION

What do you mean with that? Care to elaborate?

Hopeless wrote:You aren't wrong. Opinions can't be wrong since they contain no facts or untruths. They may be informed by totally stupid or wrong beliefs but that is the nature of opinions. As the nature of taste is that only some will share it with you.

I don't think the things you dislike mark you as weird in any way. If everyone liked the same things, life would be boring indeed.

Also re your game choices for stuff to hate? I am mostly in agreement. Though Metal Gear Solid Snake was fun to play (and had an interesting bit about positioning being crucial). Tekken was also fun in a cheesy way especially the non-arcade versions. But it was definitely way overrated.

Great analysis on opinions and taste.

Part of my great beef - besides the genre, some sort of militaristic low science fiction, which doesn't appeal a lot to me - with MG is that I'm totally clueless as to what is the game expecting from me. How the hell am I supposed to know that in a certain, particular corridor, I can adopt a certain, particular weird pose to sneak around (and not in other places), but this is just an example. It's a franchise that has me lost at gameplay while not managing to give me storyline incentives, so I really have no drive to play or enjoy it with a buddy.

Hey, now that I remember, the boss fights I *do* like, probably because they drop the enforced stealth gameplay.

It's weird, because while I do like (a lot!) sneaking around in games that allow you to, games built around the premise of enforced stealth totally get on my nerves.

Hirsch I wrote:Hopeless sounds like my grandfather.
EDIT: oh, and I think Star Wars is awful. and chronicles of narnia made me want to punch myself for wasting time with that shit.

Star Wars is pretty damn bad as a general rule, even if I actually enjoy it. The newer movies are absolutely horrible. I'd say the franchise is actually held aloft by the totally coincidental charisma of some supporting characters (Vader, Yoda, R2, Chewie...) and the occasional epic/exciting scene. But the franchise as a whole fails as much as it succeeds in those two particular aspects (supporting characters and exciting scenes) and some times it's Made of Narm. I guess the older spaceship models and other physical gadgetry was nice, but that went away with the advent of plasticky CGI.

And yes, Narnia stinks. Apparently it's just a christian morals delivery method, which could be forgivable if it was actually entertaining beyond that. Which I don't think it is.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 07:31

I guess here the question is more like, "what is some popular stuff that you don't like," which I guess isn't a bad topic of discussion. But honestly, I think the term "overrated" is overused. It reminds me of people who always insist on referring to something they enjoy as a "guilty pleasure." Or people who think that everyone else who likes the thing they like is actually a hypocrite or poser. Just enjoy the stuff that you like, and stop being so damn neurotic about it.

*Waves cane in the air; shouts at kids to get off the damn lawn*

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 08:43

the term "overused" is overrated.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 09:49

MSPaint PeexelAhrt.

It's cumbersome, MSPaint sucks and everyone insists it is good for whatever reason.

meanwhile i'm a photoshop wizard who pumps shit out at manic speeds because there are so many ways to make things go faster
sure it only took me six years to get good at using it but does that mean that photoshop is bad for spriting
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 10:03

Bloax wrote:pumps shit out

well said

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
cerebovssquire, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 10:41

Bloax sounds bitter. are you bitter Bloax?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 11:14

Bloax wrote:MSPaint PeexelAhrt.

It's cumbersome, MSPaint sucks and everyone insists it is good for whatever reason.

meanwhile i'm a photoshop wizard who pumps shit out at manic speeds because there are so many ways to make things go faster
sure it only took me six years to get good at using it but does that mean that photoshop is bad for spriting

MS paint sucks balls. Meanwhile, photoshop is a mammoth that I'd rather not tackle. I want specific programs for specific needs, not the 27-headed Adobaean Hydra of image manipulation. But that's just me.

For this message the author Psiweapon has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 14:15

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
and into

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 14:30

its weird to see that even Paint was a novelty at some point.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 15:43

RE: Star Wars

Basically, almost the exact same thing as I said about LOTR applies here.
Horrible dialog, cheesy as all hell, Lucas made it worse every time he touched it... but I love it anyway.

Of course I'm talking about episodes 4-6.

1-3 had no redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Psiweapon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 16:10

damiac wrote:1-3 had no redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.

no redeeming qualities? what about Jar Jar? so much depth in a single character.

Mankeli

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 16:36

damiac wrote:RE: Star Wars

Basically, almost the exact same thing as I said about LOTR applies here.
Horrible dialog, cheesy as all hell, Lucas made it worse every time he touched it... but I love it anyway.

Of course I'm talking about episodes 4-6.

1-3 had no redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Hahaha! The last time I watched the original trilogy online (no retouches), the names of the uploads would translate to "lucas don't touch them".

It never ceases to amaze me how Anakin can be so incredibly stupid. The character itself, not getting into the incredibly bland and not at all believable acting. I guess those midichlorians are really bad for your neurons.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 16:42

Lord of the Rings really does suck though, you're right.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 16:46

Jar Jar was a decent example of how to completely ruin an already crappy movie I suppose, so maybe there's some value to that.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 17:23

Idk I kinda like Jar Jar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 17:37

Greyr wrote:Idk I kinda like Jar Jar

you have bad taste.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 17:37

Greyr wrote:Idk I kinda like Jar Jar
(not really)
Reported.

For this message the author Psiweapon has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Mankeli, Sar, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 18:19

Viewing in Hatchet order works well for Star Wars.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 18:24

Greyr wrote:Step dads are also overrated *hairflip*

My Two Dads, however, is not.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 19:04

Jar Jar sort of reminds me of a puppy dog that pisses on the rug: you get mad, but it's still just a puppy.

tcjsavannah wrote:
Greyr wrote:Step dads are also overrated *hairflip*

My Two Towers, however, is not.

ftfy

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 19:35

To people who hate Star Wars episodes I-III, Revenge on Revenge of the Sith can provide pretty insanely good laughs if you haven't seen it already.

A word of WARNING though, If I remember correctly (watched this a looong time ago), this includes some pretty offesive things too, so I don't take responsibility for that.

But yeah, episodes I-III are terrible.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 19:39

Hayden Christiensen is 100x worse than Keanu Reeves.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 9th October 2014, 20:12

Greyr wrote:Hayden Christiensen is 100x worse than Keanu Reeves.

I have this really unnerving feeling that a scale has just broken somewhere.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 03:56

Oh did I write 100? I meant 1000x.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 04:10

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 19:50

I actually can't stand Christopher Nolan movies. The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception included.

He seems to have this concept of moviemaking that goes "OMG EXPOSITION??? THAT'S THAT SILLY THING YOU HAVE TO DO FOR 5 SECONDS BEFORE YOU GET TO THE ACTION. WATCH THIS CHARACTER QUIP AT THE OTHER ONE AND THEN GO JUMP IN A LAKE."

Or something.

Fucking awkward.

For this message the author Nemora has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 20:00

Nemora wrote:I actually can't stand Christopher Nolan movies. The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception included.

He seems to have this concept of moviemaking that goes "OMG EXPOSITION??? THAT'S THAT SILLY THING YOU HAVE TO DO FOR 5 SECONDS BEFORE YOU GET TO THE ACTION. WATCH THIS CHARACTER QUIP AT THE OTHER ONE AND THEN GO JUMP IN A LAKE."

Or something.

Fucking awkward.

Inception is overrated as fuck. It's atrocious.

If gravity effects seep to the current dream-level from the level below, how come after 3 nested dreams the characters aren't juggled around all the time by the compound gravity effects?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 20:20

Oh man Inception...

It's not that it was a bad movie, but everyone was like "Oh man that's like the deepest movie I ever seen"

Pretty much any show or book that gets called "smart" or "clever" makes me feel the same way.

cerebovssquire

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th October 2014, 20:31

Psiweapon wrote:
Bloax wrote:MSPaint PeexelAhrt.

MS paint sucks balls. Meanwhile, photoshop is a mammoth that I'd rather not tackle. I want specific programs for specific needs, not the 27-headed Adobaean Hydra of image manipulation. But that's just me.

PS is alright if you can wade through the crappy UI stuff. But I am more of a Gimp fan. Free + good if fiddly is my kind of software.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 05:38

crawl. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. edgy

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hirsch I, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 16:47

I hate it when people call things 'overrated', that's so overrated, also I hate it when people hate things.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 21:02

Donald would be at home here. but he hates it.
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner