Wizlab probability?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 07:08

Wizlab probability?

What's the probability for a single game to contain a wizlab? I feel like they could be made more common, but maybe I've just been unlucky.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 2
Greyr, Sandman25

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 08:12

Re: Wizlab probability?

Speaking from personal experience, out of the 30 or so (rough estimate) games where I've made it to the realm of Zot, I have only encountered a Wizlab 3 times. It's possible that I'm misremembering and it's actually only been 2.

I think they're interesting and I'd like to see them more often. I'm the "Clear everything" kind of crawl player.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 08:42

I've found 18 wizlabs in 45 winning games online (didn't count any in unwon games). I almost always do Elf and Crypt, though.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 08:57

I''m guessing they're rarer than they used to be: since Depths replaced a big chunk of Dungeon there are probably fewer levels per game where they can be generated and so less chance to find them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 09:28

I have 8 victories and two late splats (one in extended, one with the Orb) since DCSS 0.6 where wizlabs where introduced. I also always do Elf and Crypt. Out of these 10 games I've been in one Wizlab and I believe I missed one once on D:27.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 12:33

IIRC, the last time I looked into this, the numbers were about one in three, for games that got far enough for wizlabs to spawn.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 14:23

Maybe it's bad(?) luck, but I haven't seen a wizlab in several months (like maybe 3-4?) Although my historical recollection seems to correspond with the 1:3 ratio fairly well.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 15:46

8 of 19 if I just check my recent wins, so still sounds about right.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 21:11

I just had one appear too early in my current game. It was a portal on Vault:1 that I couldn't get to, but even if I could have I think XL17 might have got him killed dead trying it. Granted, that was probably too early to venture in to Vaults in the first place.

Return to Game Design Discussion