Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 27th September 2014, 23:39

Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

Apparently they have four arms, and presumably also four hands, so why only one pair of gloves?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th September 2014, 23:44

Re: Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

The same reason humans can't wear 50 rings and 10 amulets.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 27th September 2014, 23:52

duvessa wrote:The same reason humans can't wear 50 rings and 10 amulets.

It would be incredibly garish?
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 2
and into, grisamentum

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th September 2014, 23:53

Of the formicid's two pairs of forearms, they have one pair that are strong, hooked pincers suitable for burrowing through solid rock and one pair that are smaller but well-articulated pincers that are better for fine manipulation. When wielding what is normally a two-handed weapon, they just pair up one of their big pincers with one of their precise manipulators and get a mix of raw power and precision. Gloves, though, only fit on the smaller dextrous manipulators because the big pincers can't really be called hands. Similarly, a ring can fit between the articulations of their smaller digits and stay there, but they don't fit over the big pincer, which is the thickness of a human wrist even at its narrowest.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 7
and into, duvessa, ololoev, Patashu, PleasingFungus, Quazifuji, rockygargoyle

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 00:01

just reword their description to "two strong arms already", I mean COME ON

It's a super-common RPG convention, some race having four arms but NO ACTUALLY they don't really is not.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 00:17

The two rings "rule of thumb" thing that games seem to adopt readily goes back to D&D rules where characters were allowed to have two Magic Ring slots activate at any time which I guess prevented some hoarding and other min-max (twinky?) behavior. So it sticks around 30-40 years later and people still have to obey it because. Everyone could wear tons and tons of rings (or multiple suits of armor for that matter or hats and so on ...) but only two magical rings are considered "In Use" at a time (except in the case of Octopods.) And what better way to highlight the one race that flouts that rule? Octopods have so much going against them that they NEED those extra ring slots. And it makes them unique. Which imho is the real point.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 00:29

Koboldlord holds an advanced degree in crypto-entomology, so he's in the best position to speak authoritatively to this matter.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, TeshiAlair

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 02:25

Proposal: Pirate species that can wear a bunch of rings and jewelry and have v good sb apts
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 02:52

Greyr wrote:Proposal: Pirate species that can wear a bunch of rings and jewelry and have v good sb apts

And can move in deep water with no penalties THANK THE LORD

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 03:21

Formicids can't wear 2 pairs of gloves for the same reason that humans with one hand can still wear a pair of gloves.

That's right, they wear them on their feet.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 04:49

Patashu wrote:
Greyr wrote:Proposal: Pirate species that can wear a bunch of rings and jewelry and have v good sb apts

And can move in deep water with no penalties THANK THE LORD

You need a pirate ship first (xl69420 mutation)
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th September 2014, 10:11

I cant believe that was not asked before, I mean, its pretty obvious!
why did the tavern just ignored this issued and did not post that question over and over again?
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 03:59

Rings are very easily named to "bracelets" if people no longer find the 1-ring-per-hand justification to be sufficient.

For this message the author Brannock has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 04:56

Brannock wrote:Rings are very easily named to "bracelets" if people no longer find the 1-ring-per-hand justification to be sufficient.

I like it, but it adds 4 more characters to every ring item name, though it may actually support the 4-bracelet-formicid argument.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 04:58

Hopeless wrote:The two rings "rule of thumb" thing that games seem to adopt readily goes back to D&D rules where characters were allowed to have two Magic Ring slots activate at any time which I guess prevented some hoarding and other min-max (twinky?) behavior. So it sticks around 30-40 years later and people still have to obey it because. Everyone could wear tons and tons of rings (or multiple suits of armor for that matter or hats and so on ...) but only two magical rings are considered "In Use" at a time (except in the case of Octopods.) And what better way to highlight the one race that flouts that rule? Octopods have so much going against them that they NEED those extra ring slots. And it makes them unique. Which imho is the real point.

One ring per limb. If you wear more than 1 magical ring on a hand, it immediately blows up due to magical contamination feedback, and the limb is gone.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 05:02

XuaXua wrote:
Hopeless wrote:The two rings "rule of thumb" thing that games seem to adopt readily goes back to D&D rules where characters were allowed to have two Magic Ring slots activate at any time which I guess prevented some hoarding and other min-max (twinky?) behavior. So it sticks around 30-40 years later and people still have to obey it because. Everyone could wear tons and tons of rings (or multiple suits of armor for that matter or hats and so on ...) but only two magical rings are considered "In Use" at a time (except in the case of Octopods.) And what better way to highlight the one race that flouts that rule? Octopods have so much going against them that they NEED those extra ring slots. And it makes them unique. Which imho is the real point.

One ring per limb. If you wear more than 1 magical ring on a hand, it immediately blows up due to magical contamination feedback, and the limb is gone.

So...4 rings for most hominids?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 05:57

Brannock wrote:Rings are very easily named to "bracelets" if people no longer find the 1-ring-per-hand justification to be sufficient.

How about cufflinks? Or if that's too gender specific how about... Arm brooches...?

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 06:17

You are all forgetting that these are Magical rings we are talking about. Their power is so immense that one can not hold them too close together. It is like trying to hold two strong magnets close together. Having 2 magical rings in the same hand would make it impossible to close your fist and in case of more powerful rings might rip your fingers off. Octopodes can wear eight rings, since they can hold them sufficiently far apart from each other, formicids can't physically fit rings in their extra hands. Problems solved, now I can continue crawling.

This is fantasy, people! Be creative. :P

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 06:22

MrRokkomies wrote: Be creative. :P

Wrist circlets?

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 21:19

Sar wrote:just reword their description to "two strong arms already", I mean COME ON

then rename them to 'mountain dwarves'

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 21:20

mountain dwants

do it for pubby

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 16:54

except

Spoiler: show

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 16:05

FR: all races have tentacles for hands
That's a silly name!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 4th October 2014, 21:47

KoboldLord wrote:Of the formicid's two pairs of forearms, they have one pair that are strong, hooked pincers suitable for burrowing through solid rock and one pair that are smaller but well-articulated pincers that are better for fine manipulation. When wielding what is normally a two-handed weapon, they just pair up one of their big pincers with one of their precise manipulators and get a mix of raw power and precision. Gloves, though, only fit on the smaller dextrous manipulators because the big pincers can't really be called hands. Similarly, a ring can fit between the articulations of their smaller digits and stay there, but they don't fit over the big pincer, which is the thickness of a human wrist even at its narrowest.

But then why do formicids extend their mandibles when digging instead of using their beefy digging arms? This seems impractical at all.

Arrhythmia wrote:

It would be incredibly garish?

There isn't actually any magical restrictions stopping anyone from gaining the benefits of large amounts of jewelry, the inhabitants of the world of Crawl are just incredibly fashion-conscious.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 00:19

The truth is, wearing more than 1 ring on a should grants the full benefit of both rings, but inflicts 500d10,000 damage. It's a no-brainer not to wear two rings, so the game simply prevents you from doing it. Formicid arm pairs share a shoulder, at least as far as magic is concerned, therefore they would incur the terrible damage if they wore multipe rings on one hand-pair.

Octopode's tenticles luckily each have a separate 'shoulder', that's why they can wear 8 rings.

This is all heavily implied by the in-game lore, I can't believe people don't already know this...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner