Whoops, you equipped a distortion weapon!

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th September 2014, 18:06

Re: Whoops, you equipped a distortion weapon!

Aule wrote:That would be true only if I knew that I was going to be wielding a spear of distortion and went ahead and did so of my own volition, without a surprising gotcha. Either vampiric should change its behavior or distortion should. Right now you're arguing for an arbitrary distinction that exists only because it exists. Guess you don't see the tautology there.

I was not mentioning vampiric brand but if you are interested, I don't see why vampric/distortion weapon should change its behavior. Vampiric is an unique brand and similar to nothing else, distortion is an unique brand and similar to nothing else so they can similar to each other or have completely different behavior, it does not matter.
If you don't have an identified remove curse scroll and are wielding a runed spear when you have a trident, it is your mistake.
The same applies to distortionas I wrote earlier. If you are un-wielding distortion weapon before Lair, it is another mistake as it greatly decreases your chance to win.

Edit. Vampiric does not allow to be equipped because it is instakill.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Saturday, 20th September 2014, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 20th September 2014, 18:58

crate wrote:If you try to wield an un-id'd vamp weapon but you meet the requirements to wield it you will do so immediately, with no warning. This is actually identical to how distortion works (distortion, of course, has no requirements, so you always wield the weapon).

The difference is that a moderate hunger cost, when you're already at Full+, is not a probable death sentence for characters below high-teens XL. Abyss, or even a Tloc miscast effect, is.

It's also notable that vamp prompts on unwield, even though there is no immediate penalty for doing so. You're being warned about a possible future penalty, should you want to re-equip the weapon. Distortion works it backwards: there's no immediate penalty on wield, but quite a serious one on unwield. So the analagous behavior would be to warn about the possible future penalty at wield, and let the player decide if it's worth it.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th September 2014, 19:48

tedric wrote:The difference is that a moderate hunger cost, when you're already at Full+, is not a probable death sentence for characters below high-teens XL. Abyss, or even a Tloc miscast effect, is.
The other difference is that distortion doesn't banish you when you wield it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 20th September 2014, 19:54

It's also notable that vamp prompts on unwield, even though there is no immediate penalty for doing so.

Well (known) disto already warns you on wield, so I don't see what the difference is here :p

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 21st September 2014, 13:19

Aule wrote:The distortion brand should be automatically ided. At least let one make an intelligent decision before wielding one. There is no reason for this "gotcha" other than malice. All the self-important condescension in the world (even distilled through this one board) cannot make it any more than that.

by this logic cursed weapons and armor should be marked, and why not negative potions too?

just don't wield/wear/put on/quaff unID'd items
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

For this message the author partial has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 22nd September 2014, 02:42

Clearly, the rhino's crossing make the lift look so much prettier. I can't exacerbate that, except to phone in the Hofstadter.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 22nd September 2014, 13:22

partial wrote:
Aule wrote:The distortion brand should be automatically ided. At least let one make an intelligent decision before wielding one. There is no reason for this "gotcha" other than malice. All the self-important condescension in the world (even distilled through this one board) cannot make it any more than that.

by this logic cursed weapons and armor should be marked, and why not negative potions too?

just don't wield/wear/put on/quaff unID'd items

Note that quaff-IDing potions carries a penalty other than randomly punishing you by crippling your character: it can deprive you of a powerful strategic or tactical item.
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice