Effects of version upgrade

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th September 2014, 22:40

Effects of version upgrade

I'm playing a KoAK which I started in 0.14 and then upgraded to 0.15 when I was still in early Dungeon. At that moment, I was wearing an amulet of conservation and had darts in inventory. Those items just lost their in-game description and I just dropped them (although I killed a rat with the darts). Now I see that my game still has the Hall of Blades (or at least the stairway). Also, Crypt seems to have 5 levels (from crtl-o screen).

In the spirit of the new version I decided not to enter Blade or Crypt below level 3. But I'm wondering, what would happen if I entered Blade? Nothing special? A crash? Is it safe to enter Crypt?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 02:44

Re: Effects of version upgrade

So, you're saying the game choked on your KoAK?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 05:39

No, the game is still fine. I'm just wondering what will happen if I try to enter the Hall of Blades, since that's not supposed to exist in this version. I assume that the locations of the branches are decided on start-up and thus I got the stairs to Blade.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 07:26

I don't know, but you should back up your game and try it. You have me quite curious.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 09:39

Did you try pressing # in-game to see the actual version of the chararacter now to verify your conversion happened as you expected?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 12:33

You should still be able to enter any generated levels. The game didn't stop supporting the existence of Crypt:4-5 or HoB, it just stopped generating them for new characters; the goal is to maintain save compatibility for reasons like your character.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Sprucery

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 13:26

So, is that version compability perfect? I still have a huge stash of high level 0.10 chars, but am quite reluctant to go back to 0.10. How would I go about that? Just import them into 0.15? Or should I open them all in incremental versions? (first 0.11, then 0.12...)

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 13:41

le_nerd wrote:So, is that version compability perfect? I still have a huge stash of high level 0.10 chars, but am quite reluctant to go back to 0.10. How would I go about that? Just import them into 0.15? Or should I open them all in incremental versions? (first 0.11, then 0.12...)

If it were me, I'd backup the savefiles and then just open them in 0.15 (well, trunk in my case). There's basically no downside to doing this -- if it works, you don't have to go through contortions to get your savefiles going, if it doesn't, well, you have the copy of the original savefile and can try again with a different version.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 15:21

There are compatibility breaks periodically. I'm not certain, but I would guess there was one sometime between 0.10 and 0.15.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice