Character dump on Mac OSX

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 14:27

Character dump on Mac OSX

So, the key for a character dump is # - which is normally shift-3 - but my Apple keyboard does not have this key.

The standard way to get # on a Mac is alt-3, which works in this post as you can see - but if I try this in Crawl I get the message "key_to_command():CMD_NO_CMD (965:114) wrong for desired context".

So what is the method for getting a character dump on a Mac?

Edit never mind: if I open the same game with tiles, I can do it with the button. :roll: :oops:

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 25th April 2011, 21:25

Re: Character dump on Mac OSX

I've had this problem before too, using a Mac keyboard in Linux. It would be handy if we could bind this command to a key of our choosing.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 25th April 2011, 23:24

You can rebind it by putting something like this in your .crawlrc:

Code:
bindkey = [C] CMD_CHARACTER_DUMP

where C is the key you want. You can specify ctrl with ^ as well, (so [^C] for ctrl-C). I think the key is case-sensitive but I'm not sure.

For this message the author sxoz has received thanks:
Regnix

t0d

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 21:28

I had the same issue with the [{]. No inscription for me :(

On my Mac keyboard, it's supposed to be Alt + 8, same error message.
Seems like a whole bunch of keys is affected by the different layout.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 15:05

I think it's something in Mac OSX rather than a problem with the keyboard - connecting a standard USB keyboard with the normal Windows layout to my Mac produced the same problems as the Apple keyboard.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 16:42

Well, just to avoid over-generalizations in this thread, I've been playing on a Mac (two different Macs, actually, both with OSX) for months and my keys work fine. # is Shift-3 for me, { is Shift-[. No idea what kind of mac has alt-3 for # and alt-8 for {.

I know that doesn't help anyone here, but I didn't want the devs to look at this and think all macs had this problem.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 29th May 2011, 10:27

sxoz wrote:Well, just to avoid over-generalizations in this thread, I've been playing on a Mac (two different Macs, actually, both with OSX) for months and my keys work fine. # is Shift-3 for me, { is Shift-[. No idea what kind of mac has alt-3 for # and alt-8 for {.

I know that doesn't help anyone here, but I didn't want the devs to look at this and think all macs had this problem.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Of course. It's because I have a UK keyboard where shift-3 is £. Changing the keyboard option to US gives me # on shift-3.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Return to Technical Support