"Don't Starve": a game that sounds almost roguelike

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 27th August 2014, 14:55

"Don't Starve": a game that sounds almost roguelike

I just read about this: http://gamesondelay.kinja.com/dying-as- ... 1625190832

In the game you wake up in a field or something and you just have to gather firewood, food and make stuff in order to keep from dying from starvation, insanity, cold, or big angry beasts. Three features that make it sound like a roguelike:
- Permadeath (of a sort)
- Procedurally generated world
- The game will kill you in an untold variety of ways.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 27th August 2014, 16:30

Re: "Don't Starve": a game that sounds almost roguelike

Don't Starve is fun...a bit too "Minecraft-y" for my taste though. A lot of the emphasis is on collecting things, to build up into more complex things, and so forth.

It is possible to die though in a number of catastrophic ways, which is quite fun.
I enjoy trying to win distinct Race / Class / God combinations. Wins so far: HOFi^Beogh, MiGl^Trog, GhEE^Chei, GrNe^Kiku, DDMo^Yred, OgIE^Ash, VpEn^Dith, VSWr^Zin, OpWz^Sif, SpAs^Veh, CeHu^Qaz, NaWn^Xom, DsCj^Makh, FoSk^Ru

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 27th August 2014, 16:50

OP you may or may not know it, but it seems apropos to bring up UnReal World, a "low-fantasy roguelike game set in the far north during the late Iron-Age." It's a great game, though its open-endedness and commitment to realism can make surviving rather grueling and tedious.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 27th August 2014, 18:46

I actually love Don't Starve. I played it extensively back in Beta. I've been meaning to get back to it now that it's been out for a while, but the mood hasn't struck me yet. It's as much a roguelike as, say, Dwarf Fortress is, in my opinion, but not everyone would agree with that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 06:53

I have don't starve, played it for a fair amount of time (say 50-100 hours), and would love to get more into it in the future, but just don't have much time, since I tend to play crawl first and starcraft second, making don't starve third. It's a great game, it certainly deserves to be called roguelike: permdeath, high difficulty, etc. Although once you've figured it all out it does seem a bit easier than a crawl or nethack, I'm still fairly bad at the game and haven't won. Somehow I seem to be a slow learner when it comes to crafting farms to auto generate resources :P

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 14:45

I didn't enjoy it very much though I bought it on the same thought, that it would be roguelike and yet maybe something of CIV or Sim City. It isn't any of those things. It is rather unique but as I said, I really didn't enjoy it. On the other hand that was over a year ago.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 28th August 2014, 22:28

Never played but I liked the aesthetics. My concern is how much repetitive can it be being an open-world sandbox it needs to have variety to avoid that.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner