Hoplite!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 18:28

Hoplite!

If your favorite part of Crawl is combat positioning and you would be happy if that were pretty much all there is, you may enjoy Hoplite:

http://www.magmafortress.com/p/hoplite.html

It's pretty excellent. Four enemy types, a handful of abilities, and a ton of tactical positioning. iOS & Android.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
DracheReborn, Klown

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 22:03

Re: Hoplite!

The game looks soooo confusing :(
That promo video made me dizzy.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 22:13

Great! Now can we stop pretending that Crawl should be that way?
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 22:18

Neat game! I gave it a try, and beat level 16 (the last level of the free version) on my third attempt. Compelling enough that it made me decide to get the premium version, since this is exactly the kind of game I want with me on the bus. Thanks for linking me to it! :)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 22:55

Any way to play this on a real actual computer?

Igxfl wrote:Great! Now can we stop pretending that Crawl should be that way?

Alas crawl is tragically already that way

For this message the author TheDefiniteArticle has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 23:07

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:Any way to play this on a real actual computer?

You can try it on an Android emulator. I've only tried Google's native emulator but apparently there are more options these days.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 23:39

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:Any way to play this on a real actual computer?

Igxfl wrote:Great! Now can we stop pretending that Crawl should be that way?

Alas crawl is tragically already that way

Yes, but I see a lot of "X strategy is how you beat crawl therefore X strategy is good game design" around the Tavern.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 23:50

I have Hoplite, it's a real blast, me and the friends I played it with loved it.

For those who don't know, here's how playing Hoplite works:

You are a Hoplite dude on a hexagonal grid.
Your move consists of one of the following:
1) Taking a step. You 'slash' anything if you are still adjacent to it after your step. If you have your spear, you also 'stab' anything you walk directly towards.
2) Taking a jump. This costs some 'energy' which can be refilled by abilities and killing things. A jump goes two tiles instead of one tile away. Then you do 'slash' and 'stab' same as taking a step.
3) Bashing with your shield. A shield bash knocks anything it hits back (and if it knocks into something that will be knocked back too and so on). An enemy knocked back into a wall or into a lava dies, and otherwise it just loses its turn.
4) Throwing your spear. It has range 1-2 and kills what it hits. The spear is then on the ground, and until you occupy that tile to pick it back up, you cannot do 'stab' kills.

Whereas the enemies are the following:
1) Melee dudes, who walk to you and give you a point of damage if they can walk onto you.
2) Archer dudes, who have a range of 2-5 tiles but only on straight (hexagonal) lines, can't melee and can shoot over their allies to get you.
3) Bomb throwing dudes, who can throw a bomb in any direction in (IIRC) 1-3 tile range to a (random?) tile next to you, as often as once every (IIRC) three turns. The bomb can be bashed like an enemy, and after you make your move, the bomb explodes, damaging anything (friend or foe) around it.
4) Fire mage dudes, who can shoot a bolt of fire with a constant length of 5 in any hexagonal-straight line, and who can't shoot the turn after they shot. The trick to these guys is that they will never fire if it would kill an ally of theirs.

You can already do some pretty cool tactical stuff just with your basic moveset. But it gets better. On ever floor there is an altar, which you can pray at to restore your HP to full, add a full heart container or select one of three abilities that improves your basic skillset (such as being able to throw your shield further, bash in three adjacent directions, do a 'deep lunge stab' which stabs the enemy behind what you stabbed as well and so on). As each floor adds more and more enemies, you become buffer and get more options for defense, recovery, offense and mobility based on how you decided to build and how well you are playing (= how many times you had to waste an altar to recover HP). The AI of the enemies can be followed with enough observation and practice, so even as the enemies pile up, if you're thoughtful enough, you can avoid all damage on a floor which feels REALLY cool. Every move you make you have to think 'How can I make sure I won't be trapped by those archers, those melee dudes next turn, am I ready for the next bombs, etc'

If this sounds like your kind of game, I recommend picking it up.

If you enjoy Hoplite, I also recommend the coffee-break-sized-puzzle-roguelike 868-HACK https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/868-hac ... 49911?mt=8 (iOS only... for now)

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Klown

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 01:19

This year's 7drl by the same guy is one of the ones I played a bunch, incidentally: http://www.magmafortress.com/2014/03/7d ... ccess.html

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 11:38

I've tried it a bit now, and found it fun. Thanks njvack!

FWIW though, it doesn't feel like a rogue-like for me. The game it reminds me most of is that old Robots game found in many Unix systems. Hoplite is like a fancier version with fantasy elements, but their core mechanics seem quite similar.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 13:41

Patashu wrote:If you enjoy Hoplite, I also recommend the coffee-break-sized-puzzle-roguelike 868-HACK https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/868-hac ... 49911?mt=8 (iOS only... for now)

Also fantastic. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get to the secret level...
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 30th April 2014, 23:13

njvack wrote:
Patashu wrote:If you enjoy Hoplite, I also recommend the coffee-break-sized-puzzle-roguelike 868-HACK https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/868-hac ... 49911?mt=8 (iOS only... for now)

Also fantastic. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get to the secret level...

Secret level??? :O

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 25th July 2014, 16:13

Gave this a try a few days ago, and finally beat it yesterday. :)
It's closer to a pure roguelike than it gets credit for.
- Health/Abilities instead of experience-based level-ups. Brogue does this as well
- Hexagonal tiles instead of square, but the mechanics are still the same.

Love how long the normal game is. Bite-sized 16 levels that can be beat in one sitting, not even half an hour.
Then the optional late game for those who dare.

Great roguelike. And 2.3 is on it's way pretty soon going by the blog(beta starting up)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th July 2014, 23:30

I started playing Hoplite a while ago, I think on the recommendation of this very thread. It is extremely cool.

I can't wait for 868-HACK to make it to the Android, if it's going to be there at all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 25th July 2014, 23:51

I thought hoplite was pretty decent. It took about 2-3 days to beat it the first time (roughly 4 hours play time), and I enjoyed the time I spent doing so. I toyed around briefly with increasing my score for a bit, and that was that. It's still installed on my phone, and I've been debating getting the full version to see what later levels are like, but honestly I've been having too much fun with other games to do so yet.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 02:35

I just finished playing through the free game, that was really fun (surge is the best ability). Is the premium version worth getting? From the achievement list it looks like it.

e: I'll need a better emulator though, what's a good free one?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 03:48

Leafsnail wrote:I just finished playing through the free game, that was really fun (surge is the best ability). Is the premium version worth getting? From the achievement list it looks like it.

e: I'll need a better emulator though, what's a good free one?

I thought it was worth getting (a lot of the unlockable abilities are fun) but your mileage may vary.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner