Rename "You tend to lose your temper in combat"

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st May 2011, 08:30

Rename "You tend to lose your temper in combat"

Go ahead and rename that "Restart your game if you are melee."

It seems like this mutation really breaks the "If you die after temple, it's your own fault" rule. Unless melee characters can risk no mutations whatsoever.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st May 2011, 08:37

Re: Rename "You tend to lose your temper in combat"

Get an amulet of stasis.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 21st May 2011, 08:44

It forces you to change the way you play your char or look for a way to counter it asap, which is what mutations are supposed to do. If they were just about being bad or good there could be just one mutation with lots of levels and this would raise or lower your stats. Having stuff like berserk and teleportitis in the game is far more interesting, don't you agree?

I agree that it is probably the worst mutation in the game if your build uses attacks at all. Clarity (from the amulet or worshiping Ashenzari) and Stasis (from the amulet, TELE- artifacts obviously do not work for this) block the effect. If you haven't found the amulets you can try to acquire them. You can cure it with potions, Zin and Jiyva. Also you can randomly get rid of it by drinking lots of mutation potions (not three, lots). This might also randomly make it worse, give you teleportitis, etc., but if you distilled and saved up many mutation potions this is a nice backup plan.

If you don't have any of the other ways available you might consider switching to Ashenzari. Clarity is provided fairly early IIRC.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks: 2
atte, sardonica

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 21st May 2011, 09:52

"Having stuff like berserk and teleportitis in the game is far more interesting, don't you agree?"

Heheh. It does give me an evil chuckle. So I guess it's worth it.

When I made the post it was YASD where my High Elf mutated from blink and got killed by elephants right away. Ugh.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 20:42

Also, there is Xom. He loves to "improve" you. Maybe on a whim he will replace your berserkitis with horns and hooves.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 21:10

I just got this mutation with my level 16 Kobold Assassin.. I'm yet to find an amulet of clarity or a potion of cure mutation, so I'm guessing the end is near! :-(

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 06:36

Well, at least your kobold can eat whenever he wants :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 12:57

Regnix wrote:I just got this mutation with my level 16 Kobold Assassin.. I'm yet to find an amulet of clarity or a potion of cure mutation, so I'm guessing the end is near! :-(

In my opinion, a Stabbing attack should not be considered combat in the earliest version of this mutation.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 13:15

I'm worried about using my blowgun, incase I go beserk whilst weilding it... Is that possible?

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 13:21

AFAIK, Berserkitis only affects melee. Ranged and Spells and Evocations don't trigger a happy killy moment.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 14:38

'Roid rage is indeed a great opportunity to train up your ranged attacks. Where it really hits hard is if you still need to bootstrap Fighting -- beating up plants and fungi is pretty much out of the question if you have zerkitis.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 15:49

Just don't start wield-id'ing weapons as you might get that weapon of distortion you don't want.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 18:06

Stormfox wrote:'Roid rage is indeed a great opportunity to train up your ranged attacks. Where it really hits hard is if you still need to bootstrap Fighting -- beating up plants and fungi is pretty much out of the question if you have zerkitis.

I thought this was fixed. It is really stupid to lose temper while attacking a plant :?
"Die! Die, you puny weeds!"

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2011, 13:27

Curio wrote:
Stormfox wrote:'Roid rage is indeed a great opportunity to train up your ranged attacks. Where it really hits hard is if you still need to bootstrap Fighting -- beating up plants and fungi is pretty much out of the question if you have zerkitis.

I thought this was fixed. It is really stupid to lose temper while attacking a plant :?

It might have been fixed since 0.7. I've gotten into the habit of not engaging anything in melee if I get zerkitis, so I haven't seen it for myself. That's what changelogs are for, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th May 2011, 14:04

What has been fixed is travel automatically attacking toadstools when you have berserkitis. You can still zerk if you attack them manually (or any other plant).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 15:50

I always thought the frequency of berserkeritis triggering is too high. Considering you stab things multiple times in combat, the chance of it triggering is practically every fight, even at the first level.

I think it could be halved and still be the most serious mutation, while actually providing a progression to the 3 levels of the mutation.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 21:01

Curio wrote:I thought this was fixed. It is really stupid to lose temper while attacking a plant :?

Ha.

I totally get this in the garden.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
dassem

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 21:08

joellercoaster wrote:
Curio wrote:I thought this was fixed. It is really stupid to lose temper while attacking a plant :?

Ha.

I bet, after work in a garden, you feel Very Hungry then :)

For this message the author Curio has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 26th May 2011, 13:39

joellercoaster wrote:

Ha.

Just verified in a recent 0.8 game that attacking toadstools can trigger your 'roid rage, so I assume the same would be true for plants and fungi.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 26th May 2011, 17:21

Stormfox wrote:Just verified in a recent 0.8 game that attacking toadstools can trigger your 'roid rage, so I assume the same would be true for plants and fungi.

erm, Galehar already verified it.
galehar wrote:You can still zerk if you attack them manually (or any other plant).

For this message the author Curio has received thanks:
Stormfox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 12:40

Curio wrote:
Stormfox wrote:Just verified in a recent 0.8 game that attacking toadstools can trigger your 'roid rage, so I assume the same would be true for plants and fungi.

erm, Galehar already verified it.
galehar wrote:You can still zerk if you attack them manually (or any other plant).

Ugh. I feel my intelligence returning.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 14:25

Bersikitis does seem to be just another way in which the game screws over melee fighters, who already have a hard enough time, while being almost irrelevant to mages.

Maybe there should be a corresponding mutation "magic exhaustion" - whenever you cast a spell there is a small chance you will lose all your MP instead of just the cost of the spell, also prevented by clarity and stasis (or similar.) This might even things up a bit by giving similar fear of mutations to spellcasters.

I know you can already get the mutations that reduce your max MP by 10% etc, but that is more manageable for a caster than never being able to risk melee is for a fighter.

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 15:06

That sounds pretty cool. You should probably make a thread about it in the game design discussion section of the forum, and add it to the list of new mutation ideas on the wiki.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 01:06

Very frustrating. This mutation just killed me again, despite taking efforts to try and avoid it! :-(

I had a level 21 MdFi, with lots of great artefacts.. wearing an amulet of resist mutation due to my fear of getting beserkitis!. I got a yellow GLOW, which gave me two mutations (reduced hit points and some other minor thing).. I had a potion of cure mutation on me, which I drank to get rid of them.. a couple of turns later, I get the beserkitis mutation!! Then on my way back to my stash for another cure potion, I ran into a mob and beserkitis + Khufu's smite killed me.

My lessons here were;
1) don't waste a slot on a resist mutation amulet - its apparently useless?
2) take a risk & carry more cure mutation potions...
3) not to drink the cure until the yellow glow has gone

My 3rd decent melee character this week to be killed by beserkitis. I'm going back to casters for a bit. :-(

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 03:28

Here's a short story on my successful DEBe.

It was Zot:5. The dude got his Resist Mutation on. Encountered an Orb of Fire; got first level Berserkitis. Encountered another Orb of Fire; got another level of Berserkitis. He felt angry.

:lol:

(Since he had Stasis and mainly used sling, it wasn't really a problem, but still....)

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 10:25

When I got 3 mutations from a single glow, was the 50% amulet resist chance performed 3 times for each mutation (and I was very unlucky) or just once for the batch?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 16:35

You have a separate chance to resist for each mutation.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 18:13

minmay wrote:because apparently Zot traps didn't have enough crippling long-term effects already.

Quite :(
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 30th May 2011, 02:12

quick question: What do the racial modifiers on armor and weapons do? If I find an identical leather armor, except one is elven and one is orcish, are they actually different in some way? Also, is it true that dungeon branches found later in the dungeon are generally going to be harder? More specifically, if I found vault on 19, is it going to be noticeably more difficult than if I found it on 16?

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 30th May 2011, 02:59

XrBob wrote:quick question: What do the racial modifiers on armor and weapons do? If I find an identical leather armor, except one is elven and one is orcish, are they actually different in some way? Also, is it true that dungeon branches found later in the dungeon are generally going to be harder? More specifically, if I found vault on 19, is it going to be noticeably more difficult than if I found it on 16?

http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=dwarven+items
http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=elven+items
http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=orcish+items

Gear with racial brands get various small bonuses and penalties, plus a small bonus if you are a member of that race. With the exception of followers of Beogh, who get fairly substantial bonuses at high piety.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice