Conflicting Rules

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 10:01

Conflicting Rules

pressing 'o' or 'shift arrow' will not move you towards a ballystomcyte because its a monster!!! But you can't target one with a spell (unless you use an extra 5 or so keypresses) because its NOT!!! a monster??? Anyone else find this contradictory and absurd?

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks:
duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 12:16

Re: Conflicting Rules

solution: remove ballystomcytes except if you're fedhas and make them because they're a dumb enemy that haven't threatened anyone in several years

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Lasty

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 12:42

Not sure if a counterpoint:

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 13:48

Ballistomycetes create interesting scenarios especially when Uniques have spawned on the same level.

There is no reason for not being able to autotarget them with spells though.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 14:25

I just wish I could take out those damned spores with blowguns. :'( It doesn't work, though.
Current foes list: duvessa, TheDefiniteArticle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 14:56

"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Hopeless

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 16:35

XuaXua wrote:https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=7355

Wow almost a year old and nothing lol. I guess it was considered to be a non-issue?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 16:55

Hopeless wrote:

Wow almost a year old and nothing lol. I guess it was considered to be a non-issue?

Generally if nobody handles something on mantis in a way with a clear resolution - such as fixing the bug or stating a change won't be done - the issue just stays open indefinitely. There are hundreds of open mantis issues, some of which have been open for several years.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 19:00

The only reason I ever have trouble with spores is that for some reason I have trouble seeing any of the asterisk characters in terminal as monsters. Usually they just make me throw something and then attack firewood for a while.

Yes, that is a big problem for me when there are orbs of fire around. I should probably re-glyph them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 19:51

reaver wrote:
Hopeless wrote:

Generally if nobody handles something on mantis in a way with a clear resolution - such as fixing the bug or stating a change won't be done - the issue just stays open indefinitely. There are hundreds of open mantis issues, some of which have been open for several years.

Whenever I have one open that reflects a complaint in a current Tavern thread, I tend to post a link to it; I think others should do this as well, but I suspect the intersection of Mantis submitters and Tavern users is smaller than one might expect it to be.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 22:39

XuaXua wrote:Whenever I have one open that reflects a complaint in a current Tavern thread, I tend to post a link to it; I think others should do this as well, but I suspect the intersection of Mantis submitters and Tavern users is smaller than one might expect it to be.

I tend to avoid the dev wiki/mantis because my ideas are generally terrible, yet come to the forum to suggest them and find out why they're terrible, so yes, you're right xuaxua.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 22:57

mantis is for bug reports, not feature requests

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd July 2014, 23:10

Isn't mantis also a place for community-submitted patches?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 00:21

crate wrote:mantis is for bug reports, not feature requests

Is requesting some logical resolution to this asking for a feature? Or is it a suggestion that there may be a bug in the implementation?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 01:04

He might have been talking to one of the eight other people that posted in the thread after you made it. In fact, I believe he was probably talking to one of the people who mentioned Mantis.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 01:18

Hopeless wrote:

Is requesting some logical resolution to this asking for a feature? Or is it a suggestion that there may be a bug in the implementation?

To actually answer your question, instead of being a snide asshole, requesting a resolution to this wouldn't be a feature request. In general, if you're in doubt, just put it up on Mantis anyways; the worst thing that'll happen is someone might make fun of you a little.
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 03:38

My interpretation was that crate's post was a response to tasonir's comment about tasonir not wanting to post his ideas to Mantis but to Tavern first, and in that sense, crate was correct; don't post new concepts to Mantis.

My link to Mantis is to something that I view as a bug with the existing system that needs to be logged, and while it may require some coding or decision making to resolve, that Mantis entry is a low priority bug, not a feature request.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd July 2014, 22:14

I'm aware - I also post bug reports on the forums because I only use the forums. As an example: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11832

I suppose you could call "better messaging" a feature, but I'd consider that a bug.

I'm not going to dig it way up from 2010, but when my character died due to a bug with melding +fly items cancelling the spell of flight, I also reported it on the forums, had someone else confirm it was a bug, and the bug got fixed fairly soon after that. I'm not sure if the visibility on the forums had an effect on that or not, but I tell myself it did. It was already known beforehand, in any case.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
XuaXua

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner