WebTiles trouble... virus?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 14th May 2011, 04:00

WebTiles trouble... virus?

I've picked up the Vista Windows Security 2011 virus twice ever since I enabled WebSockets in Firefox, both times it seems like I picked it up after spectating in WebTiles. Anyone else experiencing this?

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 16th May 2011, 20:45

Re: WebTiles trouble... virus?

I don't spectate and while playing i have not got any virus warning when using a portable version of the Iron browser (same as chrome but without privacy concerns).

But i guess the problem with WebTiles is that it is using websockets that is a security risk due to it having many vulnerabilities and that's why most browsers have disabled the support by default.

A good idea is to run your browser through a sandbox when having websocket enabled, like the excellent sandboxie by example to avoid catching unwanted thing and having them running on your actual system, as they will stay confined on the sandbox.

For this message the author Robsoie has received thanks:
ClawlessVictory

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 17th May 2011, 01:48

Thanks man, but this post should probably be deleted. It's true that I picked up this virus, removed it, then picked it up again only minutes after activating websockets. I did, however, have an email window open in the background. I can only assume it was coincidence? I'm not the most computer savvy person around...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2011, 14:04

Robsoie wrote:But i guess the problem with WebTiles is that it is using websockets that is a security risk due to it having many vulnerabilities and that's why most browsers have disabled the support by default.

While websockets are theoretically a security risk (they don't have "many" vulnerabilities, they expose a problem in many proxy servers which may be exploited), no exploit has even been demonstrated so far, so it is highly unlikely that this had to do with webtiles. Also, we allow only TLS-encrypted connections, which should make an exploit nearly impossible (I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think the techniques demonstrated in the security paper will work with secure websockets).

Return to Technical Support