Proposal: Rexa, the Gladiator God

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 08:33

Proposal: Rexa, the Gladiator God

Maybe I'm alone in this one, but I find the "pure" melee gods to both be kind of boring. They both revolve around toggling on a skill that increases your killing power with little to no thought input, and while effective, don't really add much depth or unique gameplay. I'd like to see a melee god centered around passive abilities, resource management, and less static strength increases, so here's what I dreamed up in a fever haze. Keep in mind that this is a rough draft, so while I'd definitely love to hear feedback about specifics, I'm more shooting to get a cohesive but unique gameplay pattern established. The idea I'm aiming for here is a god that rewards an upbeat and aggressive playstyle with abilities that make you stronger in dangerous situations, but also compel you to engage in dangerous situations in the first place.

---

Patron of all mortal combatants, Rexa is the lord of a cosmic arena where the spirits of fallen warriors congregate to watch the battles of the still living. Desiring nothing more than fantastic entertainment and the thrill of a life-or-death struggle, Rexa intervenes upon followers’ fights and always makes sure to even the odds - for better or for worse. Devotees are mandated to entertain the arena, and those who prove themselves worthy will be rewarded with the rapturous applause of the crowd.

Appreciates:
- A good fight! This is similar to a typical piety-on-kill system, but modulated by your percent health when you landed the killing blow. Near death encounters are likely to award hefty chunks of piety.

Depreciates:
- Inactivity.
- Cheating. Stabbing, confusing, or paralyzing enemies are all disallowed because it’s neither fair nor entertaining to watch. Rexa also disallows allies: enslavement and summoning spells are explicitly banned, and items which would generate allies (i.e. elemental evokers) instead give neutrals. Gladiators gotta go it alone.
- Turning away from the cheers of the crowd (abandonment).

Given Abilities:

0: Applause (passive)
The crowd cheers you on after kills, which generates noise and positively modulates Rexa's other given abilities. Like with piety, low health kills grant larger amounts of applause. This effect is cumulative up to a maximum value, wherein the crowd gives you a standing ovation, which can trigger certain abilities to activate. High levels of applause decay quickly without kills to fuel it, but you can always maintain at least medium level of applause so long as you actively stay in combat.

Applause is kind of like a variable and more flexible berserk. You're rewarded for daring all-in behavior, but you can choose just how hard you want to commit to a situation in advance. After a point, though, the applause will grow loud enough to attract unwanted attention from around the map, so you can't necessarily just withdraw yourself from combat after the fact unless you want to lose your passive buffs and potentially leave yourself in an even worse position. The noise can even be beneficial, too, attracting mobs to kill so you can keep the applause coming. This is meant to be the double edged sword mechanic that Rexa is built upon.

*: Adrenaline Rush (passive)
The sound of the crowd in your ears rouses an animal instinct inside you, increasing your attack speed and health regeneration as the cheering grows louder. Kills restore health when the crowd is giving a standing ovation.

Pretty straightforward. Killdudes gives you extra killdudes power and also some notdie power. Getting to a standing ovation grants you a big boost to your survivability, so even at low health, staying and fighting is encouraged if large amounts of applause are within reach.

**: Blood for Blood (active, self, small piety)
Rexa helps accelerate fights towards a thrilling finish, causing your attacks to drain a portion of your HP in exchange for dealing bonus damage. Stays on indefinitely and can be toggled off at no cost.

Blood for Blood has two main uses. First, it's Rexa's big damage skill, which puts your damage output on par with a Trog/Oka buffed melee character, or maybe even more so due to its fundamentally dangerous nature. Second, it's a means of letting you actively manage your applause generation, introducing another interesting tactical decision in fights. Do you slowly build applause but risk getting overwhelmed before your regeneration bonuses start to kick in, or do you try to beat the health drain clock and get to a standing ovation for the HP on kills bonus? What's more, do you turn off Blood for Blood once you get the ovation and facetank with impunity, or use that extra healing to continuously fuel Blood for Blood but stay at low health? Contingent on the assumption that all the numbers are balanced well, I think this skill offers a lot of interesting choices.

***: Force of Presence (passive)
The acclaim you receive from on high can be intimidating, and enemies may hesitate to attack you when the crowd begins to roar. A standing ovation may even cause enemies to flee in fear for their lives. Potentially works on any intelligent creatures.

A nice little defensive buff to help ensure that Rexa's antics aren't completely suicidal.

****: Duel (active, smite target, medium piety)
Single out an enemy for one on one combat. You become mesmerized by the enemy, but gain slaying bonuses against them, and will garner much applause for a victory. Can only be used on an enemy who is at(/near?) full health.

Tactical all-in. I feel like this skill might be just a wee bit redundant, but I also think that it's a cool mechanic and fits thematically. Basically, the point of Duel is to work as a means of quickly generating a bunch of applause, but requires commitment and a little bit of faith on the part of the player that they can kill the enemy quick enough that the mesmerize doesn't become a death trap.

*****: No new skills.

******: Razor's Edge (passive, exhaustion, massive piety, massive hunger)
A standing ovation from your adoring fans can overpower even death itself. Your HP goes into the negatives and external healing is disallowed, but so long as you have health enough to survive once the ovation ends, you'll remain alive.

Auto Death's Door. Rexa abhors the thought of a good fight ending prematurely, and will give you a nice get-out-of-death-free card if you can prove that you still have enough fight left in your veins. While it can save your hide from 50/50 matchups, you'll still be taking damage, so it won't make you invincible to poorly picked fights.

Penance:

- Rexa summons a swarm of Spectral Warriors. In addition, killing warrior type enemies while under penance always has a percent chance to spawn hostile Spectral Warriors.
- The crowd boos you loud enough to wake up an entire map.
- Enemies may challenge you to duels, wherein you become mesmerized but the enemies gain slaying bonuses against you. Rexa's Spectral Warriors are especially likely to do so.

reg

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 08:39

Re: Proposal: Rexa, the Gladiator God

I'd rather the "good fight" piety boost to be based only on the threat level of an enemy, so punching above your weight gives a bigger piety boost than letting a spider almost nibble you to death.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 15:53

Giving piety for poor play is a pretty bad idea IMO (and having very low HP in the end of a fight is unquestionably bad play in a game with permadeath and damage spikes), not to mention gameable.
This guy's * ability is Makhleb's ability, but stupidly better - not only do you get HP-on-kills, you also get regen (kind of like Powered by Death) and attack speed (wtf).
Passive fear is an awful effect. Play some version with animal type monsters fleeing on low HP (0.9), get to Lair, curse everything.
jaygee wrote:Your HP goes into the negatives and external healing is disallowed, but so long as you have health enough to survive once the ovation ends

So your HP goes in negatives, but you need enough health to survive after the effect ends. What.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 20:29

I agree with reg's good fight comment.

I would just have the * give you the health regen, or even just a temp boost to your Fighting skill.

Instead of passive fear, I'd maybe do chance of distraction. I know thats a bit stepping on Gozag's toes, but screw Gozag, and the ability makes far more sense here.

@Sar I think your HP can temporarily go negative, but by the time the effect ends, you need to have healed up.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 20:43

But you can't heal up by conventional means, I guess if * power still works that almost makes sense.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 21:12

Also, the idea with the * ability is that you need to stack your applause all the way up to a max cap to get the HP on kills. It's not just passively available all the time regardless of the situation, and ideally getting maxed applause shouldn't be trivial.

And yes, the idea is that the * healing still works, so you need to kill enough enemies while the buff is active to survive.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 23:21

Unique, no nonsense passive abilities. Love it.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 02:26

I have to echo the concerns that outright encouraging players to play poorly isn't a good idea. Fighting something dangerous at 30% HP should always mean you should be running for your life, not risking an entire game for an extra three piety.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 04:19

I mean, the bonus piety was more just for flavor than anything. I don't imagine that this god would be very piety heavy in the first place, would people seriously let enemies whittle them down for bonus piety? I dunno, I'm not so attached to that in the first place, and I was even thinking earlier that I might be able to take the god in a piety-less direction anyway.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 04:44

Most damage sources in the game have very high variance, so reaching low but positive hp against a nontrivial foe is hard. (On the other hand, reaching low hp against trivial foes is easy and scummable for piety, so the piety for low hp kills should definitely go away.) I don't think that the bonuses for fighting with low hp would change the playstyle, and if it would, then it would encourage extremely tanky builds.

The noise conduct is interesting and creates unique problems, but it is already implemented on Qazal, I think it shouldn't be duplicated on another god.

The Duel ability is good, mesmerization for buffs against the mesmerizing foe is an interesting tradeoff. If the buffs are only against the target, then the "must be at high HP" part could be dropped.

The god is very similar to Xom in flavor and encouraging risky/interesting gameplay, I think instead of adding it, maybe modifying Xom in this direction would be better.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 05:06

There aren't really bonuses for fighting with low HP specifically aside from generating applause faster; the intent here isn't that you should go around intentionally fighting with low health because that's how you get power ups, but more that the amount of power you get from worshiping Rexa scales with how dangerous a given situation is, i.e. protracted fights, low health, etc.

The point of the HP mod on Duel is so that you can't just abuse it to target something that's a tap or two away from dying already and get the extra applause generation. Or maybe Duel could work sort of like the reverse of Applause, where you get bigger slaying bonuses and a larger applause prize if the enemy you targeted has higher HP.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 05:09

I just want to note that Okawaru already gives significantly (or so I heard) more piety for killing threatening (high HD) enemies.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 14:11

yeah I think oka gives you a hell lot of piety if you are like XL3 and kill a ogre

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 14:28

Sar wrote:I just want to note that Okawaru already gives significantly (or so I heard) more piety for killing threatening (high HD) enemies.

It's XP not HD, and the function is linear (assuming constant XL and XP apt).

For this message the author stickyfingers has received thanks:
Sar

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 17:30

What would you all think about this god potentially being piety-less? I'd probably shuffle and maybe even scrap a few of the current concepts, but the idea would be that you could run around dueling things from the get-go, but everything else would be dependent on how much applause you were currently receiving. Almost every god in the game gives proactive abilities, so I think it might be interesting to see a reactive god that scales itself to suit your needs at every point.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 12th June 2014, 18:28

jaygee wrote:would people seriously let enemies whittle them down for bonus piety?

yes

extreme minmaxing should be a diagnosed mental disorder imo
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Return to Game Design Discussion