Should mummies really be allowed to benefit from Gozag's...

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 08:44

Should mummies really be allowed to benefit from Gozag's...

Petition potion power? I've got a Mummy Fighter that I've been keeping alive by abusing this fact and it seems a bit silly for Gozag to be the one exception to the "No potions" rule of mummies.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 10:24

Re: Should mummies really be allowed to benefit from Gozag's

Gozag is a true entrepreneur. He saw the untapped potential of selling potions to Mummies that they could actually drink, brainstormed, designed, marked and delivered the product, and now you're denying him his hard work?

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 13:28

Because they're the weakest and most boring(survey conclusions) race, they need every benefit they can get.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 13:40

Xom's potion effects and the potion card exist.
Also given how being confused as a Mu is kind of a big deal you end up wasting a ton of the uses anyway.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th May 2014, 15:20

Mummies and Deep Dwarfs can benefit from Trog's Hand Regeneration, while the spell does nothing to them.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 04:08

Do heal wounds potions (and healing from !curing) work for vine stalkers/anyone with no device heal mutation? If it works for mummies, probably it should work for them too (if the thing sold by Gozag isn't a real potion, then probably it isn't a magical device).

For this message the author nagdon has received thanks:
Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th May 2014, 04:43

They don't work with VS currently, but that should indeed be changed for consistency with other similar effects (and iirc Basil was already either working on fixing that, or planning on doing so).

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th May 2014, 08:44

Patashu wrote:Gozag is a true entrepreneur. He saw the untapped potential of selling potions to Mummies that they could actually drink, brainstormed, designed, marked and delivered the product, and now you're denying him his hard work?

Is a god not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

For this message the author khalil has received thanks: 3
archaeo, earLOBe, Sharkman1231

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 03:31

Ahem. >.>, I think Gozag REALLY needs to be nerfed.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 03:36

You might be surprised to hear games are won with other gods, too.

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 03:44

dck wrote:You might be surprised to hear games are won with other gods, too.

I'm aware, It just felt far easier than it should have been. I had so much gold I could spam potions every time I wanted to, and still had enough to Bribe Zot (Which didn't QUITE work out as well as I hoped, just an FYI.)

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 03:53

But that's all the god does, what is there to nerf?
The whole point is being use to spam multiple potion effects at once since that is his one power that consumes a sensible amount of piety and is situationally useful enough to be considered. He does somewhat increase loot accessibility in a very passive-agressive way, but it's vague and long term enough that it could never be a selling point for the god if you were a character looking for a god that does things to help him.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 04:35

dck wrote:But that's all the god does, what is there to nerf?
The whole point is being use to spam multiple potion effects at once since that is his one power that consumes a sensible amount of piety and is situationally useful enough to be considered. He does somewhat increase loot accessibility in a very passive-agressive way, but it's vague and long term enough that it could never be a selling point for the god if you were a character looking for a god that does things to help him.

There's a simple way to fix it, remove healing effects from the list of potential potions, and increase the cost so you can't spam it with impuity. I'd have died A LONG time ago if I didn't get healing from it.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 06:07

Xion350 wrote:
dck wrote:But that's all the god does, what is there to nerf?

There's a simple way to fix it, remove healing effects from the list of potential potions, and increase the cost so you can't spam it with impuity. I'd have died A LONG time ago if I didn't get healing from it.

Keep in mind the opportunity cost of taking Gozag - if you had taken Oka you would have heroed/finessed out of hard situations, if you had taken Trog you would have bro'd out of hard situations, if you had taken Fedhas you'd prepare mushrooms and oklobs for hard situations, ETC ETC

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 2nd June 2014, 13:44

Clearly if a mummy ascends it's a sign something needs a nerf.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 2
Hopeless, khalil

Return to Game Design Discussion