Jewellery god?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 02:41

Jewellery god?

I think a God that gave jewelry gifts would be cool, sort of a la Trog / Oka / Sif / Vehumet except jewellery is useful to both casters and fighters.

Obviously that's not enough of a concept for a god, this needs more work.

Perhaps it would be a god of burglary, and piety would be earned by being stealthy, and by travelling lightly.

Just a brainfart.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 02:52

Re: Jewellery god?

A god of vanity, maybe? Perhaps you could gain piety by purposely alerting monsters to your presence, and you get a combat boost depending on how many monsters are trying to attack you at the same time?
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 03:43

danr wrote:I think a God that gave jewelry gifts would be cool, sort of a la Trog / Oka / Sif / Vehumet except jewellery is useful to both casters and fighters.

Obviously that's not enough of a concept for a god, this needs more work.

Perhaps it would be a god of burglary, and piety would be earned by being stealthy, and by travelling lightly.

Just a brainfart.

In the same vein, perhaps something like The Blacksmith God:

You can sacrifice weapons and armor (why not rings and amulets) and in exchange get god gifts of the same type. The better the items, the more it counts toward receiving a god gift of the same kind (sacrificing boots will count toward getting boots, axes toward getting axes etc ... He is not interested in weapons and armour bellow +2 enchantment.

Given Abilities: none
Renouce religion: He takes back all god gifts
Mangled by Mennas

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 09:10

In my opinion gifts are always problematic. You can see this with Okawaru and Trog. The books of Sif and Vehumet aren't much better (although I believe that the addition of random books has helped). Instead of adding gifting gods, I'd rather remove gifts, or at least change them.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 11:35

Well, the gold god / god of greed, once implemented, will offer creation of shops, so you'll be able to get more varied gifts in a roundabout way.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 18:24

Love the idea of the god of greed, but I also love sacrificing stuff for gain. Will we be able to sacrifice (good) weapons and what not for gold, or is this too much like selling??
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 20:04

Bim wrote:Love the idea of the god of greed, but I also love sacrificing stuff for gain. Will we be able to sacrifice (good) weapons and what not for gold, or is this too much like selling??

I guess the only god who really accepts item sacrifices nowadays is Nemelex, unless you include Elyvilon's Destroy Weapons ability. And no, Gozag won't feature item sacrifices either.

But don't worry, you'll get loads of gold anyway (see the wiki), which is good because gold will be the invocation currency rather than piety. We'll have to fix shop prices first, so it'll may take a while, but I'm really looking forward to another cool god. :D
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 20:22

dpeg wrote:In my opinion gifts are always problematic. You can see this with Okawaru and Trog. The books of Sif and Vehumet aren't much better (although I believe that the addition of random books has helped). Instead of adding gifting gods, I'd rather remove gifts, or at least change them.

I have to agree with you here, but I also feel that the game is far too equipment centric without the gifting gods. It would be nice if there were better ways for characters to get the equipment they "need". What would be the alternative? More scrolls of acquirement? Or better yet general equipment drops that use the acquirement code?

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 20:47

I personally hate the character centric drops, and is one of the things I most detest when I find it in ARPG's.
It seems a bit too 'unrealistic' (I know, I know the giant zombie frost giants) and also seems a bit too much like you're having your hand held whilst you play (even if it doesn't make it much easier). Perhaps if this was true for special enemies that would be good.

I'd prefer to have more to do with shops (see shop post) or more scrolls of acquirement/enchantment.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 14:21

minmay wrote:Could someone explain how god gifts are currently problematic? I don't see what's wrong with them and I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious.

They give long term benefits that last past the time you worship them. As such you get gods like Oki that people use as a stepping stone to other gods. Not on its face a bad thing, but once you leave Oki you still have all his gifts, and you shouldn't. Temporary gods are not intuitive, yet they give great benefits. This makes them spoily.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 14:32

minmay wrote:Could someone explain how god gifts are currently problematic? I don't see what's wrong with them and I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious.

Apart from what acvar mentions, there is also this feeling of grinding "one more gift". This is most pronounced with Okawaru, who has this habit of dishing out mundane robes, and you'll keep going until he sends down the randart gear you always wanted.

So the issues are these: if you got what you wanted (possible with Okawaru once you have a nice set, or even clearer with Sif Muna), then you'll turn from the god but keep the gifts (i.e. you used the god as an item generator). If you don't get those items you want, you'll feel you have to grind the god a little more until they appear. Both of these are not satisfactory.

I think it's much less a problem when consumables are given. That's why I don't have a problem with Nemelex, although that god is overpowered -- the decks mechanic is not inherently responsible, in my opinion. Regarding non-consumable gifts, one option would be to have the god take them back after rejection, but that's not ideal either. My plan for Okawaru keeps the item gifts, but has them start temporarily, and let the player work for keeping them: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:god:okawaru#dpegvolatile_piety

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 17:26

Well, one way to reduce the "grindiness" of the problematic gods is to have the god gifts always be of a specific type, kind of like Ashenzari with the "slowing" item mechanic and TSO and his weapon boost.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 19:12

Oh, the one off effects (weapon blessing by TSO, Lugonu, Kikubaaqudgha) are not problematic.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 20:22

What exactly is "Gozag"? The only new god I found so far in 0.8 was Ash.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 20:24

For this message the author MrMisterMonkey has received thanks:
jackalKnight

Return to Game Design Discussion