Give Deep Elves Wild Magic

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 22:17

Give Deep Elves Wild Magic

"Issue": Humans, High Elves, and Deep Elves all fall into a category. Mundane species that are only different through apt/stats/hp/mp changes.

Proposed Fix: Give Deep Elves Wild Magic 1 from the start of their games. It supports their apts and flavor. Upgrade to Wild Magic 2 at XL 8. Upgrade to Wild Magic 3 at XL 16. They're already seen as the go-to blaster caster species. Wild Magic is a fun double-edged blade to match that flavor. It removes their generic and mundane status while keeping their core and amplifying it.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 22:30

Re: Give Deep Elves Wild Magic

Counter-proposal: make all axes that spawn in a HO or DD game battle or executioner axes.
They're already seen as the axes species so this supports their apts and flavor. Big axes are a fun double-edged blade to match that flavor. It removes their generic and mundane status while keeping their core and amplifying it.

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Laraso, nago, TeshiAlair

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 22:34

please no :(
remove food

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 15th May 2014, 23:06

IMO Deep Elves are pretty damn distinctive purely on the basis of their apts and stats and don't need any fixing. I do sort of look at them more as a practice mode species for learning how a starting book works rather than serious contenders for clearing out rune branches though.

For this message the author Senban has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 00:47

Wow.
Listen brother if you think just handing a race superspellpower for free is fine then I think you have a problem.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 00:56

Mod note: Deleted a personal attack.

Klown: Negative feedback can in fact be very helpful and should be taken in stride. You may have felt dck's feedback was harsh, perhaps unfairly so, but it was directed squarely at your idea/proposal, not you personally. Unlike your reply, which was an ad hom.

I'm leaving thread open though for general discussion on whether deep elves need to be further differentiated from other species and, if so, how.

[fwiw I think wild magic I (no higher than tier one) could be cool to put on a species, but DE doesn't need the boost]

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:04

dck wrote:Wow.
Listen brother if you think just handing a race superspellpower for free is fine then I think you have a problem.

Depends on the race. Giving Og superspellpower wouldn't be for free, as their success rates are already terrible.
I will admit it'd be a huge buff if put on DE though, as they have absurd casting apts and even with Wild Magic they'd still have lower failure rates than most species.
(See? That's how you explain why a proposal is bad. Just in case you weren't sure how to do so.)

For this message the author khalil has received thanks:
Klown

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:08

Grimm Jr. wrote:
[fwiw I think wild magic I (no higher than tier one) could be cool to put on a species, but DE doesn't need the boost]

High Elves?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:09

dick wrote:look at me look at me

Give a helpful comment, intelligent reasons why you love or dislike the proposal, etc. GDD standard, redrum.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:15

Klown wrote:
Grimm Jr. wrote:

High Elves?

I'd actually go for Og myself. Buff their spellcasting apts enough so that with wild magic the success rates end up being about the same (terrible), and instead of being the race that can memorize lots of spells but never cast them, they can be the race that occasionally casts really big spells.
Klown wrote:
dick wrote:look at me look at me

Give a helpful comment, intelligent reasons why you love or dislike the proposal, etc. GDD standard, redrum.

His comment actually was slightly helpful, in that it explained that DE would essentially be getting free spellpower.
Also, please try to avoid turning this into a flame war. If I wanted one of those, I'd be over on /tg/'s nightly pathfinder bashing thread.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:16

I think proposals should be addressed with as much care and detail as there has gone into the actual proposal.
Let's evaluate it, then:

"Hu, HE, and DE all fall into one category." -Throwing Hu anywhere close to HE and DE in terms of how they play and not the technicalities that make them different species kind of seems disconnected from reality to me.

"Take this race which already has incredible spellpower with moderate investment and make it so they have flat out ridiculous spellpower guaranteed, no other changes." -Again does not seem very grounded in the reality of the game.

That's it. That's the full extent of the proposal. No, I think I explained why it was bad in much more detail than it deserved already.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:21

Why would they need it though, they are already the best casters with best magic aptitudes. Something needs to be done about mana and regenration though, playing as a pure caster without sublimation/necromutation/channel energy from sif muna is ridiculous.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:23

dck wrote:I think proposals should be addressed with as much care and detail as there has gone into the actual proposal.
Let's evaluate it, then:

"Hu, HE, and DE all fall into one category." -Throwing Hu anywhere close to HE and DE in terms of how they play and not the technicalities that make them different species kind of seems disconnected from reality to me.

"Take this race which already has incredible spellpower with moderate investment and make it so they have flat out ridiculous spellpower guaranteed, no other changes." -Again does not seem very grounded in the reality of the game.

That's it. That's the full extent of the proposal. No, I think I explained why it was bad in much more detail than it deserved already.

Well, now that we're in cyc, a flame war seems rather fitting. By the power of /b/, I am a waste of bandwith!
Ahem.
lel, u seem butthurt.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:24

Yiufed.

For the record, I got two reports on two separate posts of yours in this thread, Klown, from two different people, one of them a dev. Neither of these two people have thus far posted in this thread.

If you feel you must take pot shots at me or another poster, at least keep it out of GDD, thanks.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 16th May 2014, 01:33

Three reports, even after moved to CYC. Thread locked. By this point I think it is safe to say this thread wasn't going to go anywhere good. And while Yiuf may be crazy, flame wars upset him (he gets all worked up and goes into his little nook and starts yellin' at his hammers, bad times) so let's just nip this in the bud, shall we?

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner